Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 02:19 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times

Advertisements

I had a VW Cabriolet and it had electrical issues and consumed oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 05:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
The newer and more complex it is, the worse in reliability for VW (so it seems) If you could just get them with crank windows and non-electric door locks...

That said.... I just bought #29 VW... (yes it is a disease... diesel mania... I was weaned on the smokestack of a tractor , have to have a good snort of unburnt diesel every morning, no expresso required)

I have combined VW mileage of about a zillion, as #29 is coming to me with 297,000 on the clock. (I just LOVE the 52 mpg + 25 gal tank... 600 miles and it is just getting down to 1/2 full )

I took a Rabbit diesel in for alignment @ 300k, and they were impressed, needed NOTHING. No charge

If I had to use a dealer for repairs I would not buy a VW, I have only bought one new vehicle, and never again. I'll stick with a $35.00 Rabbit. (I just wish the leaks would find another spot to congregate rather than above the fuse panel )

Old 12-25-2008, 05:45 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,660 times
My dad had an old diesel rabbit car and truck, both went forever with no real major problems, the car he gave to one of my kids it was pretty loose by then, in the mourning it was hilarious to watch the kid get it going, the routine was carry ether, crank a lil then jump out real fast shoot a bit of ether in it then crank a lil more, ether a bit more and poof it was up and going, put out so much smoke when cold it would literally engulf the entire neighborhood in smoke.

Experiences with other VW dubs were flat out problem after problem, would really never recommend them, the old original VW dubs were works of wonder, never problems but heat and defrost well not so great in that area

Old 12-25-2008, 04:48 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,903 times
My experience with VW's have been very trouble free from the mid 80's to late 90's when I owned these cars.

Had no problems with the Jettas and I drove them very, very hard.

No problems with the 97 VR6 Passat 90s as well. That was an interesting car as I had the sport package with their sport rim/low profile tires and little wing on the trunk. People & cops didn't know what the heck it was.

It was fast and fun to drive.

I think they have a bumper to bumper warranty anways, then sell the extended after that which is usually a good idea.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:17 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,716,443 times
My buddy has an '02 Passat. I like the interior, I like the ride however he has consistently had emission and other engine issues with it.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:42 PM

50,364 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I had a 95 Cabrio convertible. It went through rain, sleet, and blizzard..nothing stopped it. I never had a bit of trouble with it, or with the VW service dept-which I only used for routine service. It was my all time favorite car, and I wish I still had it. Further, I felt as though I had quality German engineering at a price I could afford.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:58 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Our VW dealer is OK - you get free coffee and juice and stuff there - but you have to schedule a couple weeks in advance for a stinkin oil change... truly annoying!

VW passat diesel is what we have now - would recommend that - (except now the stinkin price of diesel won't come down! but the price of gas is - another rant thread). I would drive any diesel VW - but gas - I would approach carefully. My favorite things about the VWs is they perform awesomely on the highway at high speeds. Even the small ones.

But we historically have had electrical/realy problems with ours. We currently own only the 1 - but in the past we owned many 80s era VWs. And currently have a couple vintage air cooled. Which are best approached with a "fix it yourself" mentality.

And my big beef with them is they only offer the 4-cylinder in the GTI I think... I don't dig that 5 cylinder although I am sure it runs very smooth. Not very good on fuel, could definitely be better.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:38 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Well VW must feel americans want to buy and drive VW's. VW is getting ready to build one of thier auto plants in this country opening in 2011 in Chattanooga. They plan to employ some 2000 employees. I saw it mentioned here on city data and then went on a website and read the story about it. VW hasn't had a plant in this country for at least 20 years. The one they did have operated for about 10 years in Pennsylvania. So VW must feel they have a market here in this country for thier vehicles.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:08 AM

990 posts, read 2,556,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Well VW must feel americans want to buy and drive VW's. VW is getting ready to build one of thier auto plants in this country opening in 2011 in Chattanooga. They plan to employ some 2000 employees. I saw it mentioned here on city data and then went on a website and read the story about it. VW hasn't had a plant in this country for at least 20 years. The one they did have operated for about 10 years in Pennsylvania. So VW must feel they have a market here in this country for thier vehicles.

Does this mean that they are getting in on the "bail out" money also. lol

Apparently there is more profit in "bail out" than in making cars.

(Sorry I could not resist).

Old 12-26-2008, 07:30 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
They drive nice on my test drives, but friends tell me they are a reliability nightmare?
My freind, with a Jetta, doesn't complain about the reliability but says everything costs more to fix. We go to the same mechanic.

The Germans make fine cars, but there's much to said for simplicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive