Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:35 PM

207 posts, read 354,571 times

Advertisements

I have an older model 1997 jeep that has been problem free since I purchased it a few years back. Recently I have been losing antifreeze, I get an indicator light and open the hood and sure enough its at the add antifreeze line. Been adding antifreeze every week and a half or about 200 miles. Anyone know what is causing this "slow loss" of antifreeze. Will this be expensive to fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:54 PM

93 posts, read 166,221 times
You obviously have a leak somewhere and a pressure check of the system will find it. It could be a small pinhole that may not be visibly leaking fluid, but it may be coming out in the form of a gas under pressure. That will make you lose coolant quickly too.

Places to look for weaping are the water pump bearing breather hole (usually found on the underside of the pump) and the radiator. Those two items are big replacements on your vehicle.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:05 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,964,502 times
Expensive depends on where the anti freeze is going from...out the tail pipe (head gskt)...maybe in the oil...cracked block?...cracked head? which are the extreme cases which you apparently do not have. Sounds like it could be a minor drip at a hose connection ...check (tighten clamps)...look for evidence of of stain from the fluid under each clamp...maybe the hoses are getting HARD and will leak a little under a clamp. Run your finger under each clamp for a feeling of a drop or two. They are sometimes a little pesky and hard to find...don't wait for a hose to burst before you replace them. Better two replace all the water hoses to be on the safe side. Ounce of prevention today is worth a pound of cure if it breaks down on you while driving out of town or on the Fwy. Good luck finding the problem. Steve

Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,226,331 times
I'd venture a guess you're water pump is going out.

Unless there's an obvious leak somewhere - which I kind of doubt, or you'd be losing water a lot faster than you are - you could very well be loosing anti-freeze out of the weep hole. It's kind of nice, because water pumps give you fair warning before they go out.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:33 PM

Thank you all for your input. If it wasnt too cold in the garage now I'll be in there checking. Probably wait til tomorrow. I'm also due for an oil change and they do that 20pt inspection, maybe they will be able to spot the problem too. Thats all I need another additional expense this time of year

Old 12-09-2008, 08:43 PM
kbg

223 posts, read 347,179 times
Those plastic radiator tanks are notorious for hair-line cracks long ways down the tank most likely on the left side where the top hose is. Try to keep you radiator cap in the 1/2 tight range and see if it slows down on consumption but if it stays the same then the water pump could be leaking and evoprating on the block before you can see a leak, try looking underneath and see if the block is a orange type discoloration meaning it's been leaking without ever reaching the ground.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:55 PM

Well I took it in for an oil change and had a compression test and the radiator has a hole. They want to replace the radiator and thermastadt for a nice price of $550. I didnt have the work done today due to they having to order the parts and I having to run errands. Probably take it in next week when I have more time.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:14 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,932,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotchildintheCity View Post
Well I took it in for an oil change and had a compression test and the radiator has a hole. They want to replace the radiator and thermastadt for a nice price of $550. I didnt have the work done today due to they having to order the parts and I having to run errands. Probably take it in next week when I have more time.
Sounds a bit expensive. I would get another estimate. By the way when replacing a thermostat most recommend you get the original from a dealer and not after market. Most will use after market unless you request otherwise.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:26 PM

858 posts, read 3,047,459 times
Sounds like a bad water pump to me.. Find the water pump on your jeep. Theres a hole right at the bottom of it.. When it gos bad you will have a leak from there..

Old 12-13-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Sounds a bit expensive. I would get another estimate. By the way when replacing a thermostat most recommend you get the original from a dealer and not after market. Most will use after market unless you request otherwise.
I wont be able to get it fixed until next weekend, I'm glad its a slow leak. Thats a good idea, I should call several places to get an estimate including the dealer (probably more expensive) to gauge what shops charge. Thanks for the tip on the thermostat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive