Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:24 PM

90 posts, read 374,811 times

Advertisements

Lets see....
1). The auto industry is failing because people have lost thier jobs or fear losing thier jobs and are not purchasing vehicles.
2).Then they get this bailout and on top of it promise to cut more jobs.
Who cares if GM fails, it is thier own fault, how dare all these companies get handed this money and still cut workers jobs instead of creating jobs.
It makes me sooo mad that they see the handwriting on the wall yet refuse to take appropriate action to help this economy. These top executives are going to be able to line thier pockets even deeper before jumping ship.
tcar509
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 06:29 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar509 View Post
Lets see....
1). The auto industry is failing because people have lost thier jobs or fear losing thier jobs and are not purchasing vehicles.
2).Then they get this bailout and on top of it promise to cut more jobs.
Who cares if GM fails, it is thier own fault, how dare all these companies get handed this money and still cut workers jobs instead of creating jobs.
It makes me sooo mad that they see the handwriting on the wall yet refuse to take appropriate action to help this economy. These top executives are going to be able to line thier pockets even deeper before jumping ship.
tcar509
One must look at this issue in light of the cause and effect of trade:

1. US lowers tariffs.
2. US loses its industrial base
3. US becomes a 3rd world country.

It's all about cheap labor and screwing up the environment- GATT requires both to be sucessful.

FYI, even the Japanese (who have a closed market) autoworkers make 17% less than do ours.

Hence, the need for tariffs.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:05 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
the bailout is another idiotic idea, as are all of the bailouts. GM executives told investors that the investments in US plants pledged by the company—the supposedly iron-clad job security provisions hailed by the UAW—were entirely contingent on market conditions.

GM Vice Chairman and Chief Financial Officer Fritz Henderson said that over the next four years the company could move 56,000, or 75 percent, of its current UAW workers into retirement.

they are not even guaranteeing that they will keep the jobs in this country, not to mention the jobs that they will eliminate. i don't even see how this bailout would protect the job security of the workers. maybe the bailout should be contingent on market conditions!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:14 AM

915 posts, read 2,423,815 times
I was born north of Detroit, and now live in the Greenville, SC area. Interesting how BMW in Spartanburg, SC can manufacture enough vehicles to the point where they export 40% of their production back to Germany. Yet the "big 3" can barely survive. Plus, shouldn't it be the "big 2". I don't understand why Daimler-Chrysler would even be considered part of a bailout for the American auto industry.

I have many family members who have worked for or currently work for Chrysler and/or GM. One of them, who currently works for Chrysler, said it was nearly impossible for anyone to get fired until Daimler came into town.

The moral of the story: What is the difference between a GM plant, and BMW's plant in South Carolina? Unions.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:30 AM

347 posts, read 1,357,579 times
Stop calling it a bailout.

Impact (http://theengineofdemocracy.com/impact.html - broken link)

Old 12-03-2008, 07:43 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,176 times
I could use $35 Billion too for free send it my way. It is a bailout. The Big 3 model and the UAW model does not work. Let them go through Ch.11 get rid of the current management...scale down, shut down, and liquidate plants that are not profitable.

GM should only keep Chevrolet & Cadillac, get rid of the other me too brands. focus on a few models like Honda and Toyota.

Ford should get rid of Lincoln, mercury and anything else they own and Make FORD!

Chrysler....fire sale go out of business...please.

Many, many companies have failed before and will fail. Stop putting band aids on them. I wish i had benefits like the UAW....but I live in the real world. No way the avg. UAW worker is worth what his benefits are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevil View Post
Stop calling it a bailout.

Impact (http://theengineofdemocracy.com/impact.html - broken link)

Old 12-04-2008, 04:21 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
i hope that taxpayers understand that this is a total of 50 billion to these companies, because of the $25 billion in loans that Congress has already approved to help American automakers increase green research, and the additional $25 billion in loans the American industry is seeking this week to cope with a hobbled economy. (not to mention the money that taxpayers will be paying the auto finance portion of the first bailout bill).

new revision: Cha-ching. Cha-ching. Cha-ching. The bill for the auto bailout expanded from $25 billion to $34 billion today. Groveling is hard work, so make that 59 billion. (not counting the auto finance arm).

Old 12-04-2008, 07:52 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
The moral of the story: What is the difference between a GM plant, and BMW's plant in South Carolina? Unions.
The difference is that people in the south are willing to work for extremely low wages. Unions should represent workers all over the US so that they do not get exploited.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:16 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Default Throwing tax dollars around is bad business...

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i hope that taxpayers understand that this is a total of 50 billion to these companies,
Most thinking Americans do understand. These companies need to restructure under Chapter 11 if they are serious about survival. I see no concessions from the unions or suggestions by managment that would allow these companies to do anything more than possibly persist a few more years.

If this Democratic Congress does give GM, Ford and Chrysler a bailout to stave off their self-inflicted terminal disease, the additional requirements placed upon the automakers by the government will surely speed their demise. Sadly, quality auto manufacturing in America belongs to past generations. Throwing tax dollars at greedy and inept companies is extremely bad business and I will not likely forget it when I go to buy another new car or truck.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,226 times
Default Wake up people

No money for the Automakers.
Big Three Spending Millions On Lobbying, Auto Makers Drowning In Red, But Still Give Nearly 50 Million Dollars To Politicians - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive