Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:04 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times

Advertisements

It's heart-breaking to see the great American auto industry now begging at the steps of Congress for money to continue building their classless products. However, it's not surprising since many of us recall a time when Americans could drive a car designed in the minds of youthful hot rodders and not on some college or bureaucratic PC of mediocrity.

If this video doesn't touch a cord with you, you should be taking public transit instead of driving: The Cars e Drove In The 50s & 60s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 07:39 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
Bitchen...Bitchen...Bitchen....what memories and the cars shown. Bucket roadster/chop tops/french headlites/bullet tail lites/fender skirts etc...could go on and on. Those were the good old days and the cars made life worth living. Met my (Car Hop) wife at a drive in. I started the Cherry Coke thing in Arcadia Calif during the football season in 1948...at least believe I was the first person to ask for one. Word got around and they started to sell the cherry cokes with cherry juice from ice cream toppings and a cherry inside the coke. Anyway very nice Video. Steve

Old 11-06-2008, 08:12 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
Steve, you are a bit ahead of me in years but I do recall my neighbor in southeast Texas bringing home a stunning new turquoise/white 1957 Chevy Belair convertible. I've always said that if Webster included pictures with his definitions, a 1957 Chevy 2-door hardtop would be included with the word car. The '57 Chevy convertible would be listed under the word style.

Kids nowadays think the Sonic is a drive-in. Now Read's Broil-A-Burger at Lufkin, Texas was a real drive-in with it's drive-around driveway. But if you mean drive-in theaters, I worked at one of those as a soda jerk and a cook while I was in junior high school. I recall being introduced to J.Frank Wilson by the drive-in manager one night when he came in for a sandwich and a coke. Wilson didn't do a lot but he did produce a version of the song called Last Kiss which reached number 2 on the Top 40 pop charts in themid-60s.

Ah those were the days...

Old 11-08-2008, 11:13 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,238,691 times
Cool link! Thanks for sharing. I am into old cars and so are some of my uncles. My dad has a 1969 Camaro,

his brother has a 1969 Chevelle SS 396 that he bought brand new that still has like 43K actual miles and like new. On my moms side, I have a couple of uncles into 50s cars and have a several. One has a 1963 Ford Galaxie 500XL 2dr, with rare factory power windows.... and the other uncle has an array of 50s cars, but my grandfather has the one I like the best....

1955 Cadillac Series 62 sedan, 68K actual miles, all original except one repaint. Still has the original seats, headliner, dash, etc and in excellent condition. This was literally a barn find.. my uncle spotted a 55' Ford truck in a old womans yard... he knocked on the door and a old woman came to. He asked her if she would sell it and she said yes, but only if he bought the car as well. He said what car? She pointed to the barn type garage, opened the doors and there this green 55' Caddy set there. Her belated husband bought it for her brand new in 1955 the same time he bought himself the truck. This was about 1999 when my uncle first got it. He sold it, then later traded it to my grandfather in 2005 for the 55' Buick below. The Caddy is still in my grandfathers possession, tucked away in his garage now. It still had the factory clear plastic on the seats.

and this 55' Buick he sold a couple of years ago...

I have a couple of old American Iron cars too, but not as old as some of the cars on that clip...

1973 Pontiac Grand Ville with a factory 455 V8 engine (this was grandmas car, so this was a "Grandma Ville"
These photos are kinda old... about 5-6 years old and the paint is in need of help now.... This one is optioned with A/C, AM radio, power windows, power door locks, tilt wheel, vinyl top, deluxe interior option, light group option, side strips, bumper gaurds/strips. The lower photo was after I acquired it in January of 2003. Upper photo is summer of 2006. As you can see, I changed the hubcaps to the deluxe ones that were optional that year.

there were only around 44,000 of these made in 1973

and my last beast... a 1972 Chevrolet Caprice Estate wagon - only about 34,000 of these made and not many left today. This one has the factory option 402 big block engine, 9-passenger seating, A/C, AM radio, tilt wheel, luggage rack and deluxe wheel covers. I have since repaired the back window.... most of these cars have been crashed up in demolition derbies...

For some reason, GM put "400" emblems on the early 70s Chevys with the 402 engine.

and this was my baby... I regret selling..
1972 Buick Electra 225 Custom. I owned this from 2001-2003 - sold to a guy in South Carolina... It was high optioned too... A/C, power windows, power locks, cruise, tilt, AM-FM, power seats, speed alert, vinyl top, cornering lights, rare fingertip wiper control option, side strips, bumper strips/gaurds, etc. This was also a barn find for me. Local car... doctor bought it new, he died and his sold sold it to me. When I went to see it, it was in his huge barn, covered in chicken droppings. Fired right up, purred like a kitten. I sold this car for a lousy $1800. I sold to a man in Rock Hill, South Carolina. He bought it for his son. Not sure if he still has it or not. We lost contact.

check out that brocade cloth interior that graced the late 60s/early 70s luxury cars...

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 11-08-2008 at 11:25 PM..

Old 11-09-2008, 03:34 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Thanks for those pics, Tennessee.
I always enjoy looking at photos of classic American cars.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:06 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
In the 50's Cad never had clear plastic seat covers. My dad bought a new 56 cpe de ville from the dealer in Beverly hills...no plastic seat covers...I later had a 59 cpe de ville...same thing...but there was a company who later sold them for a custom fit which I bought a set and it kept the seats clean and original in appearence. The plastic was real thick and never wore out. Steve

Old 11-09-2008, 10:06 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,570,648 times
Who could forget the 1964 Chevrolet Impala, possibly one of the most customized full size cars in American history.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:25 AM

779 posts, read 2,248,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
It's heart-breaking to see the great American auto industry now begging at the steps of Congress for money to continue building their classless products. However, it's not surprising since many of us recall a time when Americans could drive a car designed in the minds of youthful hot rodders and not on some college or bureaucratic PC of mediocrity.

If this video doesn't touch a cord with you, you should be taking public transit instead of driving: The Cars e Drove In The 50s & 60s
That was such an incredible video. I was making me think about the move "American Graffiti" a little bit (Which came out in the 70's). My all-time favorite car back in the 60's was a 67 Lincoln Continental. They look so amazing.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:38 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,238,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
In the 50's Cad never had clear plastic seat covers. My dad bought a new 56 cpe de ville from the dealer in Beverly hills...no plastic seat covers...I later had a 59 cpe de ville...same thing...but there was a company who later sold them for a custom fit which I bought a set and it kept the seats clean and original in appearence. The plastic was real thick and never wore out. Steve
Thanks... well that must have been done to this car, because it still had clear plastic on the seats when he got it and it was very original looking. I may have a photo somewhere of the covers that were on there. The back seat plastic was getting a little discolored on top and the front had some cracking, but the seats were/are still like new. They removed it a couple of years ago.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:02 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Who could forget the 1964 Chevrolet Impala, possibly one of the most customized full size cars in American history.

I had a '64 impala, sweet lil 283 powerglide, custom exaust sure sounded sweet and rode like a dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive