Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:14 PM

206 posts, read 1,013,406 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is trying to transfer to another state and the current state he is in has temporarily suspended his license. He is going to GA - I told him to google the dept of public safety and see what he comes up with. What do you all think ? or perhaps anyone that knows , please share.

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 10:42 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslashondapjohnson View Post
I have a friend who is trying to transfer to another state and the current state he is in has temporarily suspended his license. He is going to GA - I told him to google the dept of public safety and see what he comes up with. What do you all think ? or perhaps anyone that knows , please share.

THANKS!!!
Not exactly sure what you're asking here, but if you are asking if your friend can get a new license in GA while their current license is suspended in another state the answer is no. Years ago you could do that and get away with it but not anymore. When you apply for a license now you are checked on the NCIC computer which covers all 50 states.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Not exactly sure what you're asking here, but if you are asking if your friend can get a new license in GA while their current license is suspended in another state the answer is no. Years ago you could do that and get away with it but not anymore. When you apply for a license now you are checked on the NCIC computer which covers all 50 states.
Oh okay.. thanks ..

Old 09-29-2008, 02:39 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Besides, fraud is a)bad and b)a felony

Old 09-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
RIGHT!! I knew I'd get a direct answer ..thanks you guys..

Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,328 times
Your friend needs to go and get another name and a fake ID and then he wont be caught.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It might not be fraud. In general, Fraud is restricted to an activity in which you gain for yourself and/or deprive another person of something of value. A driver's license is not "something of value" in the broad sense of the meaning of theft.

Driving a car without a valid license does not necessarily constitute a factual danger to public safety, merely because a judge says it does, and that colors your classification of it as "bad". Whether Fraud is a felony or a misdemeanor, in most states, is filtered by the value of the property that is fraudulently obtained, and a drivers license is, in that sense, of zero value, so very unlikely to qualify as a felony.

However, if the police and/or the prosecutor believe that you don't have enough money to defend yourself against the charges, they will (these days in this country) go after you with everything they've got, and attach your meager income forever, not bothering with the niceties of the law or your constitutional rights to due process. They desperately need the fine money, and that comes first.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-08-2010 at 12:12 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 01:33 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslashondapjohnson View Post

THANKS!!!
I think what everyone else is missing is the license was revoked for a reason, most likely drunk driving. And this friend is intending to continue driving. Glad not to be in that town.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,286,173 times
Tell your friend to go to California and tell them he/she is an illegal and going to be on the roads. When they can't get the new license printed fast enough for him/her, problem solved.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:17 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Illegals here do not bother carrying any ID much less licenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive