Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:07 AM

62 posts, read 541,921 times

Advertisements

My power window failed on me recently. I drained my car battery by trying to get my window up without engine being on. My mechanic says my battery is weak and suggest a new one, but says it should recharge if i drive enough. Is this true? I have a half hour drive to work, is this enough to recharge my battery? Does driving my car more often recharge the battery back to normal or is this just a short term solution? Should I get to sears as soon as I can and get a new battery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 04:22 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
I believe so. Letting a battery sit for a long time is not good for it. That's why they make battery tenders. Also i recently went thru the same thing a few weeks ago. Turns out I learned that car batteries last anywhere from 4-6 years.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:11 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike74 View Post
My power window failed on me recently. I drained my car battery by trying to get my window up without engine being on. My mechanic says my battery is weak and suggest a new one, but says it should recharge if i drive enough. Is this true? I have a half hour drive to work, is this enough to recharge my battery? Does driving my car more often recharge the battery back to normal or is this just a short term solution? Should I get to sears as soon as I can and get a new battery.
Not a good idea, Mike.

Driving a vehicle with a weak or defective battery, especially due to age, will put an added "drain" on other components which is never a good idea.

Replace the "tired" battery now (the best battery, Optima, is available at Sam's Club for about 150 bucks) or end up with a much higher bill in the future when your alternator and other electrical components head south on you.

Good Luck

Old 09-22-2008, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,780 times
Default car battery life

A car battery is principally used to start the engine. It is also used to filter or stabilize power and to provide extra power for the ignition, lighting and other accessories when their combined load exceeds the capability of the charging system, i.e., when the engine is idling. It also provides power to the electrical system when the charging system is not operating. The battery lies hidden under the bonnet and is an essential component of your vehicle. Regular care is a must, for if it in bad shape, the car will refuse to move. "Push-start" is a solution but cannot be carried on for long. A well-maintained battery lasts for two years.
--------------------------
james wilkins

drivenwide.com

Old 09-22-2008, 04:04 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,922 times
One thing you can be sure of. The battery will not get better. You can drive a while with a weak battery. The alternator will keep it charged. No need to run right out and get a battery but it should be on your shopping list.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:33 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
To properly determine if you need a new battery it must be properly chaged and then load tested, unless your mechanic did that, he's guessing or trying to make a few extra bucks off you.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:34 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geffry View Post
A car battery is principally used to start the engine. It is also used to filter or stabilize power and to provide extra power for the ignition, lighting and other accessories when their combined load exceeds the capability of the charging system, i.e., when the engine is idling. It also provides power to the electrical system when the charging system is not operating. The battery lies hidden under the bonnet and is an essential component of your vehicle. Regular care is a must, for if it in bad shape, the car will refuse to move. "Push-start" is a solution but cannot be carried on for long. A well-maintained battery lasts for two years.
--------------------------
james wilkins

drivenwide.com
A good post except for the life span, I've never had a battery last only 2 years, 4 to 6 is what I've gotten.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:38 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
,,,,the best battery, Optima, is available at Sam's Club for about 150 bucks,,,,
I understand the Optima line was bought and is not as good as the older ones were.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:46 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I understand the Optima line was bought and is not as good as the older ones were.
Good point, ferretkona . . . but what is, nowadays?

Optimas definitely seem to hold up lots better than most batteries here in the Desert Southwest. A little over two years on the Yellow Top in The Jeep after about eight years on the previous Red Top. Until something better comes along, I'll stick with the Optimas.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:47 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,699,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Not a good idea, Mike.

Driving a vehicle with a weak or defective battery, especially due to age, will put an added "drain" on other components which is never a good idea.
Weak batteries don't "drain" components, they just lack the ability to start the car and power it when the engine isn't running. A running car with a functioning alternator and regulator doesn't need a battery at all.

That said, a weak battery isn't holding much charge, and once it gets cold, it will most likely not have enough power to turn the engine over, so consider this a warning and go buy a battery now.

And for the record, maintained car batteries can last for very long times, although typically they last 4-6 years. I have a 5 year old battery right now that is still charging fine - if you're only getting 2 years out of a battery, you likely have an electrical system problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive