Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:59 AM

404 posts, read 1,338,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Thanks. Yeah I was starting to think the same thing, that the cells are shorted, which would explain the massive current draw on the charger. Not sure how it happened though...never did I abuse this battery in any way.

The parasitic drain....how can I check for that? This car has never had any issues of battery drain before.
You need an ammeter. Remove + cable from battery, then jumper ammeter probes together with a wire, connect between + cable and terminal. Remove jumper from the probes. If you don't use the jumper, the current rush when the connection is made will blow the fuse in your meter.

It should be <50mA. No more than 100mA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 12:31 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
I've always heard that only 2 or 3 companies make car batteries...and everybody just puts their labels on them.

Is this still true? Or was it ever true? LOL

Old 09-01-2008, 01:16 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I've always heard that only 2 or 3 companies make car batteries...and everybody just puts their labels on them.

Is this still true? Or was it ever true? LOL
My understanding as well, Car54.

That applies to most Kitchen Appliances and Electronics as well, however, I'll put my money on an Optima Battery any day!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:38 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
I found out this battery is supposed to have a 7 year warranty on it, I bought it May 2004 for my Chevelle. I no longer have the car and the receipt is lost. Also i bought the battery in NC but now live in MO. I purchased it from Autozone....you think they have a national databank that will show I bought it back in May 04?

Old 09-01-2008, 01:50 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
The warranties are pro rated, meaning they usually will fail giving you about $5 toward a replacement. Any store selling them should honor the warranty, they will base it on the manufacture date since the receipt is missing. Costco sells optima, try them.
Interstate batteries used to be the best, I do not know if they still are.
At five years I replace mine as I do not want to be stranded.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:08 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
I hope the $5 toward replacement isn't part of the core charge.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:03 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,004 times
Quote:
1. How long do car batteries typically last for?
Three full years and up to the first really cold/damp night in the fall of the next year. Anything after that is gravy.

Quote:
2. For a battery what do you recommend? .
The cheapest you can find that fits your car but has the highest available cranking power rating. Spending a nickel more is throwing your money away. Forget brands, forget commercials, go with cranking power and cost.

And once a year clean your battery terminals and wash off the top of your battery, then dry it with paper. [damp residue builds up on the case over time and after attracting a dust build-up provides a bleed-off path to the frame.You can actually sometimes see the circuit path glow on a dark night].

Last edited by Franklyn; 09-01-2008 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 09-02-2008, 08:29 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,104,370 times
It looks like battery is good for about 4 years. In my case 2005 Toyota Camry
bought new in May 2005, got battery marked August 2004 (so I lost almost a year) just went dead on me. Replaced with Toyota Truestart Battery with 84 month warranty (first year - free replacement, then - prorated). We will see how long will it last.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:00 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcian View Post
It looks like battery is good for about 4 years. In my case 2005 Toyota Camry
bought new in May 2005, got battery marked August 2004 (so I lost almost a year) just went dead on me. Replaced with Toyota Truestart Battery with 84 month warranty (first year - free replacement, then - prorated). We will see how long will it last.
Great point, Marcian . . .

The Battery in any vehicle could very well be upwards to a year older than the actual purchase date of the vehicle. The same applies to Tires which AGE as well as WEAR.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:05 PM

468 posts, read 1,886,933 times
Car batteries do last around 5 to 6 years if cared for properly. Less in cold climates. Although they almost all say "Maintenance Free", it's good to check the dielectric when you get your oil changed. Let a mechanic put the require water into it. The battery companies started calling it this because too many people were injuring themselves then wanting to sue the battery company. I like Interstate Batteries. Not just because they're great batteries but also because of the youth justice programs the chairman supports. They also support NASCAR, do you need anymore reasons .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive