Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 05:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,367 times

Advertisements

A spray bottle of Liquid Fence (deer repellant) leaked in my trunk....

ANY suggestions of how to get rid of awful odor in trunks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 05:19 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
There were no suggestions on the bottle?

I should imagine you might have to strip out the carpet and replace it after scrubbing the metal inside of the trunk. Usually things like baking soda and vinegar can strip out things like spills but I can't say for sure with something like you mention. It might be easier to pull the carpet and clean the metal and replace it later.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:37 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
I experienced something similar a few years ago. I had a bag of cow manure break open in my trunk and somehow get wet. Talk about stink!
What I did, and what worked, was to shampoo in some Dr. Bronners liquid castile soap, and after several ragsful of warm water, removed that. Then dried it with a hairdryer, and left a sprinkle of baking soda on for a day, which I vacuumed up

Old 06-27-2008, 06:02 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
A spray bottle of Liquid Fence (deer repellant) leaked in my trunk....

ANY suggestions of how to get rid of awful odor in trunks
Since I believe Deer Repellants are some form of Lion Urine, two suggestions . . . Baking Soda and/or Lots of Direct Sun.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:36 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Try a PET Stain remover! Expect to use lots.......

Old 06-27-2008, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

The woman who was ringing up the sale told me to make sure the windows of the house were closed & to wash my hands after using the spray b/c it smelled so awful. Lucky me, it somehow leaked in my trunk & it smells like a porta potty that's never been cleaned. I write this as mommy deer & her two fawns are enjoying a late supper on our once beautiul hydrangae & red bud covey tree. I should just pop the trunk open & park my car on our front lawn during the night...

Old 06-27-2008, 08:36 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Are you sure its to Repell or Attract the deer!!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Are you sure its to Repell or Attract the deer!!
I haven't been able to use it yet

It repels. We live in a very heavily populated deer area & have a family of deer who are just destroying our landscaping this summer. We also have an apple tree in the front yard that they love which I believe is attracting them to the other foliage. Either way, I'm annoyed. Annoyed my flowers are chewed up (the hydrangae were doing so good too) & annoyed my car smells like a week old dirty diaper.

Luckily, I didn't need to drive my children anywhere this week. Not sure how their gag reflexes would hold up.

It's getting better. We are going to fix it somehow this weekend.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
If there's a professional auto detail supply store in your area, ask for a "reodorant" product, there's several brand names for this stuff.

We used it for reconditioning cars to remove all kinds of foul odors, tobacco stench, rotten french fries smell in between seats, spilled soft drinks that had mildewed/rotted in carpets, etc.

The stuff doesn't "mask" an odor with a perfume. It is a liquuid chemical product that "absorbs" all odors.

I had a car brought into my shop for reconditioning that was so bad it would make your eyes water just to be near it ... a MB 560SEL that had been parked at a campsite by one of our lakes. The fellow who owned it had unloaded his boat equipment and fishing catch for the day into the car, and went back to carry his car-top'ed rubber ducky boat to the car. Unfortunately, he had a fatal heart attack lifting his boat off the beach. The car sat in the summer heat in the parking lot for several weeks before it was towed away.

We were able to remove all traces of the stench that had permeated the leather upholstery and the interior by removing the seats, washing them with Murphy's Oil soap solution, and then spraying the "reodorant" chemical on all the interior surfaces of the car (including the trunk) full strength. We left the car closed up so the product could absorb the smell, and then aired it out for a couple days more. It worked very well, and you could not tell after a hot day closed up in the sun that the car had ever had a problem. A quick wipe-down on the leather with Lexol gave it that fine "conditioned leather" new car smell ....

Old 06-28-2008, 04:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
I don't know. What did John Gotti use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive