Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 02:31 PM

23,390 posts, read 19,006,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I buy new....

(to answer the thread title.)
Buying new is no guarantee the car will be "good" (what does that mean?) or that you can't be scammed. A cagey salesperson could steer you into something you didn't want if you didn't do your homework in advance. No different from buying used. A brand new car isn't always free of problems either. You might not pay $ to fix them because of a warranty but you will pay in terms of aggravation and inconvenience.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-02-2024 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 03:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Buying new is no guarantee the car will be "good" (what does that mean?) or that you can't be scammed. A cagey salesperson could steer you into something you didn't want if you didn't do your homework in advance. No different from buying used. A brand new car isn't always free of problems either. You might not pay $ to fix them because of a warranty but you will pay in terms of aggravation and inconvenience.
True, that's why some states have a "lemon law" but it is rare. More often the aggravation is from the many recalls, where nothing has actually gone wrong, but the manufacturer makes you bring it in to fix something that might fail. I just took a count, I have bought a total of 14 new cars since the first in 1973. Of those, only one, a 1985 S10 Blazer had real problems. On warranty the rear main seal leaked, then it did the same again after the warranty expired, for a cost of $1,100. Meanwhile I have had to take in 5 different vehicles since 1996 for recalls, the worst was 3 recalls on a 2003 Jeep Liberty, and several more after we traded it in.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:03 PM

10,356 posts, read 6,908,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I hear you. Cars/trucks today, are so complex that it's no surprise that something could go haywire. Newer cars can have numerous computers, all talking to each other. And these need to function in a "hostile" environment.

As far as "due diligence" goes, this is where "vehicle forums" come into play. They have become so prominent/important to manufacturers that they themselves have been know to participate. (Yes, I am a member of some of these forums.)

Can't help you on "cagey salespersons" though...

Old 05-03-2024, 07:28 AM

6,458 posts, read 4,951,548 times
I am curious how he determined that there was 210k miles on it. I am not doubting it, just curious.

Old 05-06-2024, 05:11 AM

6,500 posts, read 3,185,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisnIvy View Post
sadly I can't afford new car.
BUT.....can you afford to buy something 6-7 years old, that looks good on the surface, passes a cursory inspection by a mechanic, but a few months later, becomes a "money pit", when unexpected problems crop up?

My point being that in the long run, you might possible be further ahead by buying a low cost, brand new car, and keeping it well maintained, driving it sensibly, and getting 10 years out of it.....

Old 05-06-2024, 05:31 AM

3,515 posts, read 775,896 times
i am my own vehicle inspector .. when my beloved Corolla was destroyed 2 years ago i wanted to replace it with another .. i looked at at least 5 and all were high mileage junks .. just on a hunch i went to the same dealor i bought my 09 from and they just got in a 2010 model and it looked great .. i felt the engine and it was cold .. i said start it up and if it does`nt make any noise i will take it .. a wore out engine will sometimes be noisy on cold start up .. it sounded great and i snatched it right up .. it is an incredibile car .. like new ..

Old 05-06-2024, 05:35 AM

4,225 posts, read 3,773,514 times
It all depends on what you LIKE. I am hard pressed to find any vehicle that I really like that has been made within the past 10 years, in fact ive been looking at some 20-24 year old vehicles to replace my 2019. For me, mileage is no big deal as long as there are maintenance records to show it has been properly cared for and the overall wear and tear for the age of the vehicle is above average. I always run a carfax and will take it to a mechanic, but what I am also finding is that sellers dont disclose everything about the car until you are actually there...they suddenly start remembering things about it after youve already taken the time to view it. They also seem to all have a different definition of what the condition of a vehicle is; Ive driven 2 hours away to see a vehicle that I "will be very impressed with" only to show up and find the pictures shown were from angles that the damage could not be seen. Another issue for me is when they say "I didnt have a chance to clean it"...I dont want to test drive a car with 2 week old french fries in the cup holder and dog hair sticking to the carpet. Another red flag is when asking questions, the sellers dont have an answer. I do join facebook groups for the vehicles I am looking at and do my research to find common issues they have before even starting my search so I know what I am getting into. Its not easy finding a vehicle that checks all the boxes.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:18 AM

22,387 posts, read 29,507,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic of your choice.
This 100%. NOT their mechanic, YOUR mechanic

Old 05-06-2024, 11:13 AM

3,293 posts, read 1,712,053 times
I probably would not buy any new car out because of the complexity and cost of parts. I recently bought a Lexus ES 330 for less than $1500. It definitely needed work, no doubt but parts are easy to find. Plenty of shops can work on it and it is pretty reliable car once it's fixed. No headaches to deal with like timebomb issues that BMW and Hyundais have.

Car companies are told to add so many sensors and equipment by the government for all kinds of stuff but the good news is that they can't get rid of older cars. They know doing so would hurt the poor people.

Old 05-06-2024, 02:45 PM

6,500 posts, read 3,185,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I probably would not buy any new car out because of the complexity and cost of parts. I recently bought a Lexus ES 330 for less than $1500. It definitely needed work, no doubt but parts are easy to find. Plenty of shops can work on it and it is pretty reliable car once it's fixed. No headaches to deal with like timebomb issues that BMW and Hyundais have.

Car companies are told to add so many sensors and equipment by the government for all kinds of stuff but the good news is that they can't get rid of older cars. They know doing so would hurt the poor people.
But one thing to keep in mind, is that a new car will come with a warranty, usually 3 or 4 years, and if you want, you can usually purchase 2 or 3 more years, from the manufacturer, for a reasonable amount. So, you're covered for 6-7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive