Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:26 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,873,955 times

Advertisements

Ethanol is bad news for the environment, and I've personally recorded a loss of 2mpg (in two different cars too) using 10% ethanol'd gas.

Pure gas for the win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 08:31 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,388,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
ethanol is not meant for most engines.Typical government knows best,dumb,dumb.
my father in law used to be a mechanic when he was younger. He told my wife the same thing. Can you imagine what todays cars are going to be running like in the next decade, seeing as how they are putting this crap in our gas? People are going to be forced to pay tons in repairs, buy what ever new car technology is out at that time, walk/bike or take mass transit. I think the buy new cars will be least likely seeing as how the economy is going bad and people may not have money for new fangled cars.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:46 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,221,469 times
Weren't some of the same people warning when unleaded gas first came out?

--"you can't use un-leaded in gas mowers"---------"you can't use un-leaded in older farm tractors"

Gosh, you don't hear that anymore and unleaded gas is sold everywhere.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:38 AM

8,725 posts, read 7,433,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Weren't some of the same people warning when unleaded gas first came out?

--"you can't use un-leaded in gas mowers"---------"you can't use un-leaded in older farm tractors"

Gosh, you don't hear that anymore and unleaded gas is sold everywhere.
You obviously have no idea why lead was in gasoline then if you made a statement like that.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:49 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,983,083 times
Aboslutely better run gas oline. Also if you read consumers reports testing E85 agathe same flex-fuel veicles they gat 27% on average less miasge pre tanl on E85 than reg gas in the same vehicles.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,804,536 times
Wow, how are you supposed to know if gas has any ethanol in it? Only once did I see a pump with a sign that read "10% Ethanol added".

Old 06-01-2008, 06:35 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,221,469 times
K350-----------my post was meant to show that the people that cry------"you can't use it"----------"you can't use it" ----have been wrong many times.

Minnesota has ethanol blend --MANDATED---.

I am not one bit scared.

I was not scared eother when an "expert" told me in 1988 not to buy a 4 cylinder car cuz the engine will be shot after 100,000 miles. ( I put 256,000 miles on it w/o touching the engine>

The problem in this country is there are too many---"experts"

Old 06-02-2008, 04:42 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,172,445 times
I definitely would prefer 100% pure gasoline. Your mileage, horesepower and engine efficiency is maximized under those conditions. But, good luck in finding 100% pure gasoline. Every pump seems to say 'may contain up to 10% ethanol'. So what does that mean as to what you are buying. You'll never know, but sometimes 10% is enough to change the smell of the exhaust.

Yes, avgas I believe is 100% gasoline as probably most flavors are racing fuel, especially racing fuel containing lead tetraethyl.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:18 PM

563 posts, read 2,572,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Never said it wasn't a problem. I sort of thought maybe the ethanol they put in gas was some sort of an enhancing additive. But I wasn't sure which is why I asked.
I recently started seeing the "may contain up to 10% ethanol" stickers at gas pumps here in Florida. NY has had it since 04 I believe. I am not sure if Florida had some law recently go into effect. From what I read a while back, at least for NY purposes, MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether) was an additive in the gas and in one of the many blends of gas that refiners are forced to make due to varying environmental emissions standards put in place by different states. One thing I read was that the big switch to ethanol was due in part to MTBE seeping from ground storage tanks at gas stations. Since groundwater in the northeast provided drinking water, a switch to ethanol became more talked about. MTBE burned cleaner than ethanol but ethanol did not seep into the water table. This was at least one bit of info I read on the topic. Ethanol will also reduce performance and mpg but I have not been able to calculate accurately enough. My best guess is about 2 mpg. I do not recall seeing 100% gasoline. Seems everywhere I have been on the east coast, ethanol is gradually making its way into the states. Another poster also mentioned the study of E85 inefficiency too. To me, E85 means pay a little less but fill up more. All with a reduction in efficiency.

By the way, not to derail the thread but since we were talking about gas, I had a few little questions for any takers:

1. I always wondered why does it still say "unleaded gas" at gas stations and near gas gauges in the car or by the gas tank? Does anywhere even sell leaded gas anymore? I was pretty sure that was all gone.

2. Another interesting thing I saw once outside of Cinncinnati just as I crossed into Kentucky was a gas station advertising the price of gas which I thought was regular 87 octane unleaded. When I got off the exit and pulled to the pump, the Sunoco station had 87 but it was 10 cents more per gallon than what drew me off the interstate. The price I saw was for something called ECONOMY GAS 86 octane. I laughed to myself because as far as I knew, the lowest required gas by all cars I had ever seen was regular unleaded 87. I wondered why they made this 86 octane. Anyone ever see it or know anything about it?

The only other strange thing I saw was when I was in Vegas. Premium unleaded gas carried an octane rating of 91. This was back in 2003 so I am not sure if ethanol was in there. Here on the east coast, it was 93, and up until a few years ago, Sunoco made Ultra 94 octane. Aside from emissions determining state gas formulations, I wonder how much of a difference in performance/mpg two people with the same car would get under normal driving conditions but with different blends to their premium gas (91 vs 93). Does that factor of two octane make a difference?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,342,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
By the way, not to derail the thread but since we were talking about gas, I had a few little questions for any takers:

1. I always wondered why does it still say "unleaded gas" at gas stations and near gas gauges in the car or by the gas tank? Does anywhere even sell leaded gas anymore? I was pretty sure that was all gone.
Yes, a very small handful of stations still sell leaded gasoline, particularly in very high octane fuels, up to 116 octane. It is illegal to put this fuel in a street-legal car, and you wouldn't want to anyway because it would be a waste of money and foul up your cat. You typically find this fuel at race tracks, but a tiny handful of "regular" gas stations also carry it.

Quote:
2. Another interesting thing I saw once outside of Cinncinnati just as I crossed into Kentucky was a gas station advertising the price of gas which I thought was regular 87 octane unleaded. When I got off the exit and pulled to the pump, the Sunoco station had 87 but it was 10 cents more per gallon than what drew me off the interstate. The price I saw was for something called ECONOMY GAS 86 octane. I laughed to myself because as far as I knew, the lowest required gas by all cars I had ever seen was regular unleaded 87. I wondered why they made this 86 octane. Anyone ever see it or know anything about it?
I've seen it on the Ohio Turnpike. You can probably run it in any late-model car that runs on regular-grade gas, but performance will suffer a bit since your car will react to it by retarding the spark timing.

Quote:
The only other strange thing I saw was when I was in Vegas. Premium unleaded gas carried an octane rating of 91. This was back in 2003 so I am not sure if ethanol was in there. Here on the east coast, it was 93. . .
91 is actually more common than 93. 93 seems to be a mostly northern thing, probably because of lower average temperatures and lower elevations. But 91 is pretty common in the west coast because of typically higher elevations where thinner air means a lower octane rating is necessary to minimize knock and maximize power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive