Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 02:04 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,593,943 times

Advertisements

Deleted.

I misread the post as a response to my OP, but it was a response to other posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 02:16 PM

19,074 posts, read 14,010,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I like three-pedal driving as much as ever, but there isn't s single stick that's faster than its slushbox twin, AFAIK. Even C&D, the proud supporter of the manuals, admits it.
And it makes almost no sense in an EV.
It wouldn’t be faster, just a lot more fun and likely optional like paddles.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-17-2023, 03:41 PM

17,346 posts, read 12,301,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I like three-pedal driving as much as ever, but there isn't s single stick that's faster than its slushbox twin, AFAIK. Even C&D, the proud supporter of the manuals, admits it.
And it makes almost no sense in an EV.
That's not an absolute truth no. Even just starting at the top of the alphabet of cars that still come with a manual, the Acura Integra is faster in the 6m vs the cvt.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:45 PM

21,904 posts, read 25,225,309 times
Manuals are pretty stupid on EVs as really there's no advantage for more than two gears and not much advantage for more than one.

Mild hybrids might be enough to run the climate control ala Prius. E.g. the new Mercedes EQ Boost mild hybrid is .9 kWh capacity, similar to the new Prius (non-Prime) 1.5 kWh. Liability would probably prevent it though, same way that avoid doing remote start on manual vehicles. It's definitely nice though to be able to run the heater/AC without constantly idling.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:56 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,022,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That's not an absolute truth no. Even just starting at the top of the alphabet of cars that still come with a manual, the Acura Integra is faster in the 6m vs the cvt.
Absolute? probably not, no. But every single review I've read in C&D the past 5 years has mentioned the stick being more fun but slower. And this is from testers who can shift 10x faster than an average driver. Sure I may have missed one or two, and I'm not surprised that Honda's lame CVT is slower.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:56 PM

21,904 posts, read 25,225,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...t-test-review/

Pretty much the same, MT got 7.6 in the CVT and 7.7 with the manual. It's not much of a performer even with the manual. It's in the normal range for regular economy cars, Corolla with the 2.0, Mazda3 with the NA 2.5, fair bit slower than regular Prius but faster than a Nissan Sentra. 0-60 isn't really a big priority in the economy segment but the downside is Honda has been making the Civic Si slower for a while now. They're slower than the late 2000s Sis nowadays as they're so large and fat nowadays the power hasn't kept up with the waistline.

Old 05-17-2023, 05:06 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,801,011 times
I'd love to get one of the high-performance off-road trucks (Ram TRX or Ford Raptor) with a front bench seat. IMO such a huge vehicle should be able to hold six people. Wouldn't mind a manual option either, although I'd imagine that amount of torque would be rough on the clutch.

Speaking of manuals, I'm frustrated at how rare it is to find a vehicle that offers both a manual transmission and radar cruise. My current VW GTI offers both, as do some Hondas, but a number of cool vehicles that I'd consider for my next car, such as the Hyundai Elantra N, do not offer radar cruise with a manual.

(as an aside - yes...I'm considering both a Ram TRX and an Elantra N for my next car...I'm indecisive)

Old 05-17-2023, 05:19 PM

12,571 posts, read 9,654,327 times
The Toyota RAV4 Prime actually comes pretty danged close, but I'd like to see a plug-in hybrid CUV, with 3,000lb of towing capacity (vs 2,500) and 50 miles of all-electric range (vs 42). I am sure Toyota could do those adjustments to capacities without heroics - might cost a little more, but shouldn't be *too* much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive