Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 02:15 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

I'm debating whether to drop collision coverage on my car.

I've Neve thought the difference in premium was enough to make it worth dropping collision.
Plus I'd like to get something for the car, if damaged.
Without collision I get squadoosh. zip. zilch. nada.

-- Is there an age of a car in years where beyond that the condition doesn't matter -- where they'll go it's xx years old here's what you get -- period. They don't care how it runs or looks.

-- 2006 Acura RSX
-- Runs like a charm. Mechanically excellent.
-- Body has some rust damage and some black scrape marks from pulling to close to the cement blocks at the front of some parking spaces.
-- Excellent condition inside. One owner/one driver.

How does Kelly Blue Book enter into it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2023, 02:56 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
That old of a car's fair market value likely isn't much more than $3000 or so. One bumper banger would do that much damage.

It really isn't worth keeping Collision on it. I would keep Comprehensive just for windshield replacement and a deer strike.

Old 02-04-2023, 03:26 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
In my opinion, if you have enough money in reserves to "self insure" your own car, then you should. What I mean is that if you are able to keep an emergency fund saved up of about what your car is worth, and it wouldn't be a huge financial hit if you had to use that money if you crashed your car, then full coverage could be a waste of money.

Also keep in mind that the amount of insurance that you have on your vehicle is irrelevant if the accident isn't your fault. If it's the other driver's fault, their insurance should pay 100% of what your vehicle was worth, no matter what amount of coverage or deductible you have.

Every person's situation is different. If it brings you peace of mind to have full coverage and a low deductible, and you don't keep a lot of cash on hand to cover unexpected events, then by all means keep the high-level insurance going. If you have the means and are alright with shouldering some of the risks, maybe it's smart drop some of your coverage.

Old 02-04-2023, 05:20 PM

Can I ask my insurance company how much they'd pay me for the car it if were totaled? Or that's something I shouldn't ask them?

If I do ask, I'm wondering if I'd get some generic, well, "that depends" or "the adjuster would have to see it" answer.

If the payout is more than say several years of difference in premium, I still come out ahead having the coverage.

To me that's part of the math of deciding whether to drop collision or not.

Old 02-04-2023, 06:13 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Can I ask my insurance company how much they'd pay me for the car it if were totaled? Or that's something I shouldn't ask them?

If I do ask, I'm wondering if I'd get some generic, well, "that depends" or "the adjuster would have to see it" answer.

If the payout is more than say several years of difference in premium, I still come out ahead having the coverage.

I would imagine that they should be able to tell you the maximum they would pay out in the event of damage to your car - it's something they'd need to be able to look up or calculate in the event of a wreck anyway - that's part of their core business as an insurance company. It shouldn't be too hard for them to come up with the figure.

I wouldn't be worried about asking them this - you could always explain that you're trying to reckon if the collision coverage is worth it at this point - nothing wrong with asking this. Don't forget to subtract whatever the deductible on the policy may be too.

I agree with you that it comes down to a comparison of what the collision provisions are actually costing you annually, and how much - maximum - you would receive in the event of an accident.

Here's a decent article in WalletHub discussing the issues...
https://wallethub.com/edu/ci/collision-insurance/7292

Old 02-05-2023, 06:55 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Go to a site such as kbb.com and figure out the approximate value of your car yourself. Then subtract whatever deductable you have with your coverage, and there you go.

And remember, you're only "coming out ahead" if you actually get into a wreck that was caused by you. Chances are that won't happen and it will be the insurance company that gets the most money in the long run. That's how the game works, most of the time they win.

Like I mentioned before, if you're poor and live paycheck to paycheck and a crash of your 17 year old vehicle will financially devastate you, then keep up with your full coverage. If you are better-off and can afford the risk, drop the coverage and hope that you wont need it, but take comfort in the fact that you'll be alright either way.

Old 02-05-2023, 08:02 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Keep looking auto-trader and auto-tempest to know current asking prices of your vehicle. You’ll need to know these numbers when negotiating with insurance person on replacement value if you keep full coverage and it gets totaled. If you don’t do that, insurance will try and cut you smallest possible check as payment, and why wouldn’t they?

Old 02-05-2023, 08:59 AM

Bold is mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Don't forget to subtract whatever the deductible on the policy may be too.

I agree with you that it comes down to a comparison of what the collision provisions are actually costing you annually, and how much - maximum - you would receive in the event of an accident.
Oh crap. I forgot all about that.
Thanks.
I think I'd still come out ahead with coverage. But that's definitely part of the calculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post

And remember, you're only "coming out ahead" if you actually get into a wreck that was caused by you. Chances are that won't happen and it will be the insurance company that gets the most money in the long run. That's how the game works, most of the time they win.

Like I mentioned before, if you're poor and live paycheck to paycheck and a crash of your 17 year old vehicle will financially devastate you, then keep up with your full coverage. ......
A totaled car will not devastate me. I'm good.

Old 02-05-2023, 09:05 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Different policies
have different calculations. In some cases they have to pay whatever you can prove it will cost to replace the car. However you usually end up settling on an amount.

You can ask but they probably will not tell you what they woudl pay for it if totaled. That depends on the condition, the market, any covered upgrades and sometimes how hard you negotiate.

You can insure anything - at least with some company. WE had a car that was totaled three times. We just kept buying it back, fixing it and reinsuraing it. However once it has salvage title, it is really hard and really expensive to find someone to insure it.

Old 02-05-2023, 09:14 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
In the Car Insurance subforum, in one of the many recent post about car valuations when a total loss is involved, adjusterjack posted a link to each state's insurance regulator's legal requirements that insurance companies must follow when calculating the value of a vehicle for a total loss.

As each state has their own requirements as to how these calculations are allowed, what occurs in one state may not apply to another state. There is also a wealth of information in that sub-forum as to what may also be allowed as a recovered expense (beyond just the value of the physical vehicle) that often is overlooked by consumers when a total loss is involved. I would suggest you read through the many post on this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive