Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 12:25 PM

3,208 posts, read 1,671,394 times

Advertisements

Back in Jan, my daily driver was hit on the side door by someone cutting lane over into mine. Then as my car was being repaired I was in a rental car the first week it was struck by someone in a motorcycle as I was turning the mofo just went full speed down and didn't see me. The biker flipped and rolled down the street like a cannonball but he was actually ok. Then just before the month was over I was driving on the highway in my son's car and there was a big flat object on the highway I ran over it and ended up getting stuck in the wheel well and caused the car's driveshafts to break and also damaging the transmission. Total loss and the insurance is paying out.

So I can't believe that, after driving for over 20 years without much accident. I got into 3 accidents within 30 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 12:34 PM

2,140 posts, read 1,208,096 times
What was the object? dimensions?

Old 02-16-2022, 12:38 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Wow, that is a lot of bad luck - I feel for you. It may sound trite, but it's true - the most important thing *is* your health, and it sounds like your person has emerged unscathed from all this demolition derby action, so at least there is that.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:39 PM

3,208 posts, read 1,671,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
What was the object? dimensions?
It was some type of plastic divider or crate? Probably dropped by trucks, it was flat and black color. I didn't think it would get caught but since my son's car was very low on the ground it got caught up in the wheel well and spun. I'm lucky the car didn't lose control badly I did sort of slow down from 80mph and hit it around 75mph. The car sort of jumped upwards and then I had no power the motor was still spinning but I knew at that point either the drive shafts or the transmission popped.

I would wager that it's about 4' x 4' and maybe 8" thick. I couldn't go back to look as the item got mangled up and was left behind as my car kept rolling and I was able to slow it down to a shoulder and get AAA out to help out.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:15 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
So I can't believe that, after driving for over 20 years without much accident. I got into 3 accidents within 30 days.
On the bright side, trouble comes in threes, so you are going to be trouble free for the next 20 years.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:13 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
I had a bad month like that in 2009. My insurance company cancelled my policy. Only Geico would give me a policy that I could afford. Since that month, i have only had one ticket and no accidents.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:51 AM

329 posts, read 236,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I had a bad month like that in 2009. My insurance company cancelled my policy. Only Geico would give me a policy that I could afford. Since that month, i have only had one ticket and no accidents.
Though I understand in some circumstances (DUIs, many at fault accidents etc), its sad to think if you run into a string a bad events like these that the insurance company, after receiving payments from people for many years, just decides to cancel you.

Old 02-17-2022, 09:44 AM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Back in Jan, my daily driver was hit on the side door by someone cutting lane over into mine. Then as my car was being repaired I was in a rental car the first week it was struck by someone in a motorcycle as I was turning the mofo just went full speed down and didn't see me. The biker flipped and rolled down the street like a cannonball but he was actually ok. Then just before the month was over I was driving on the highway in my son's car and there was a big flat object on the highway I ran over it and ended up getting stuck in the wheel well and caused the car's driveshafts to break and also damaging the transmission. Total loss and the insurance is paying out.

I got bit much the same last year, though not QUITE as compressed a time frame as you.

January, a woman blind reversed through a parking lot right into me and ripped the rear bumper off my truck (Then tried to claim I backed into her.. Dashcam saved the day)

Then in March, a deer ran across the road and headbutted the left rear quarter panel

Then in June, I was in a rental driving Route 66 when a rock kicked up in California and cracked the windshield.

Out of all those.. The rock to the windshield was the worst one. Because the accident happened in CA, they sent me to the Phoenix center to deal with it with USAA.. Well, I'm from SC.. A glass coverage state. State law requires that my policy cover glass. Apparently that's a novel concept for the folks out in Arizona, because I about had to sic the state insurance commission on them to get reimbursed. 3 times I had to explain to them that my policy had no deductible glass coverage.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:18 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
I guess my driving must be pretty good,70 years along with 34 with Bell,no tickets nor accidents,at 89 and with 210,000 miles on my 99 Tacoma SR5 which has been in garage pretty much for past 2 years.This driving record not reflected on my liability insurance.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:06 AM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Then as my car was being repaired I was in a rental car the first week it was struck by someone in a motorcycle as I was turning the mofo just went full speed down and didn't see me. The biker flipped and rolled down the street like a cannonball but he was actually ok.
There's a term we motorcyclists use, called "SMIDSY." It stands for:
Sorry
Mister
I
Didn't
See
You.

While motorcyclists generally ride too fast for conditions, it's their fault because regular cage drivers (you) don't realize, nor expect how fast they're actually riding. Without getting into the science of it, it is extremely difficult to estimate a vehicle's speed, that has a vertical profile. Motorcycles and trains have this vertical profile. It doesn't seem to matter the size of the vehicle either (ex. trains.) So, to combat this "blindness" professional drivers look 5 times at potential cross traffic. Comm'l trucks/buses do this regularly.
We'll look left, right, left again, then right, and a final left look again. This help us "judge closure speeds."
You've had 3 accidents within 30 days. Have you had your eyes checked, or a physical lately? There's 1 thing in common, with all 3 events...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive