Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:09 PM

355 posts, read 2,370,111 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating from northern Florida to upstate NY (Rochester area). I have an Isuzu Stylus 1991 that will be shipped to my new home (it has 136k miles and I plan to keep it for another 2 years before buying something locally).

I'd be interested in getting opinions on what kind of maintenance/preparation/etc. I should perform on that car to drive it in cold weather. For instance, should I replace the battery, spark plugs, etc. with heavy duty components, so that the car starts fine after spending the night outside in the cold winter? What about tires? Are there any specific tires that are better in cold, snowy weather? I guess I won't need the A/C to work properly (unless the Summer is still A/C worthy)? What about fluids? Anything that needs to be added to them to prevent freezing?

I'm planning to perform a tune-up and general maintenance before having it shipped, so any advice / suggestions / ideas you guys can share will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 05:25 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,307,324 times
Hey, i let you know i live in upstate ny and you better take it through the car wash every other day in the winter. they spread enough salt up here to give you hardening of the arteries. salt will eat your car up quick up here. make sure you coolant is set to handle at least -30 degrees. and some good snow tires wouldn't hurt. that sould about do it.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:48 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,272,325 times
You won't need to do this until some time in October to prepare for winter -

Winter windshield wipers (they are heavier and have a skin), heavy duty battery is a good idea, change fluids as it's a lot easier before it snows unless you bring it somewhere. As mentioned above make sure your coolant is set for -30 degrees, you many want to flush it in the spring. Top up all fluids (power steering, etal). You'll definately need windshield washer fluid that's made for winter and keep an extra bottle in the car for those slushy/muddy times. All season tires should be fine if they have a good tread.

You'll also want to have a brush/ice scraper in the car, gloves, and I carry a blanket, snacks, a kitchen broom to push snow off, a flashlight, and jumper cables.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
You'll also want to have a brush/ice scraper in the car, gloves, and I carry a blanket, snacks, a kitchen broom to push snow off, a flashlight, and jumper cables.
Thank you for the information. Now, having seen snow only once in my life, here come the dumb questions:

- I think I've seen an ice scraper used in a movie. Is the business end made of metal (that can scratch your windshield), or is it hard plastic?

- Would you put the blanket in the trunk, or under the seats if possible? I'm thinking that if you are trapped in a few feet of snow, you may not be able to get out and open your trunk to get the blanket...

- How would you use the broom? Would it be used to get the snow off the roof, trunk, hood, etc?

It's funny to think that, in Florida, the elements to have would be a battery-operated weather radio, a hurricane map (to track hurricanes), a gallon of water per day per person, a battery-operated handheld fan, sun protection (uv-filter, hat, etc.), and a flashlight (this last one is the only item that is both in your and my list).

Old 04-15-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
You won't need to do this until some time in October to prepare for winter -

Winter windshield wipers (they are heavier and have a skin), heavy duty battery is a good idea, change fluids as it's a lot easier before it snows unless you bring it somewhere. As mentioned above make sure your coolant is set for -30 degrees, you many want to flush it in the spring. Top up all fluids (power steering, etal). You'll definately need windshield washer fluid that's made for winter and keep an extra bottle in the car for those slushy/muddy times. All season tires should be fine if they have a good tread.

all these are exstremely important. these are all things you will need to survive if you go off the road in a snow storm. also to add, carry a small shovel with you to dig your self out or to keep around you exhaust pipe cleared out if your stuck so you don't get over come by fumes. oh yeah, if you need a nice snow brush ill give you mine LOL because im moving to south carolina.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:06 AM

4 posts, read 11,359 times
The only thing you have to worry about Upstate NY is snow.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
you better take it through the car wash every other day in the winter. they spread enough salt up here to give you hardening of the arteries ... some good snow tires wouldn't hurt

Now, if the problem is the salt that is gathered underneath the chassis, then I should take it to a car wash where they (or I) can hose off the chassis, the tire wells, etc., right?

Regarding the snow tires, I can't say I've ever seen one. How are they different? Do they just have a different tread design? And, is that something to use all year round, or would I have to put the snow tires at the end of the summer, and then replace them with regular tires at the end of the winter?

Old 04-15-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
Now, if the problem is the salt that is gathered underneath the chassis, then I should take it to a car wash where they (or I) can hose off the chassis, the tire wells, etc., right?

Regarding the snow tires, I can't say I've ever seen one. How are they different? Do they just have a different tread design? And, is that something to use all year round, or would I have to put the snow tires at the end of the summer, and then replace them with regular tires at the end of the winter?

YEAH, go to the drive threw , so you can get the under body wash. thats where the rust starts. rust starts where you don't see it. it won't start on the surface ,unless the paint get's chipped off. snow tires just have a more aggresive tread then all season tires. you should be fine with either. most people i know have them mouted on an extra set of rims. so you don't have to mount and dismount you snows every year. also you will only need two snows. just for the drive wheels only.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:49 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,272,325 times
Ice scrapers are on a long handle with a small brush on one side and a plastice scraper on the other. Make sure you get a heavy duty one.

Yes, a blanket should be inside the car in case you go off the road you'll still have access. They're also good for passengers to use till the car warms up.

The broom is to get snow off the car faster and without having to lean over it and get yourself all wet and snowy.

When you immediately go out to your car before brushing it off, start it up and put the front (and rear if you have one) defrosters on to help melt snow/ice on the windshields. And if you ever look for a new car, heated seats are wonderful.

Triple A is also a very good thing to belong to in case you need to be towed or pulled out.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
... put the front (and rear if you have one) defrosters on to help melt snow/ice on the windshields.
I was curious about that statement because I always asumed rear defrosters were the only ones (never heard of windshield defrosters). I went back to the owner's manual and, yep, there is such a thing as windshield defrosters (they work with your A/C or fan), never knew they were there, never needed to know :-)

The AAA is a good idea, I didn't think of that one. Some people have said I would need a "dependable" car in upstate NY. I guess in Florida if your car breaks down in the summer you would just sweat a lot as you walk to the next service station , or in the winter you would just enjoy a nice walk, but in the upstate NY winters you may not have the luxury of walking outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive