Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:32 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,659,306 times

Advertisements

Drivers were bouncing with joy yesterday after employees at the Kangaroo Express in Wilmington, N.C., accidentally sold gasoline for 35 cents a gallon.

Oops: N.C. station sells gas for 35 cents/gallon - On Deadline - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 08:19 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,360,891 times
WOW wish it would happen to me!!

Old 04-11-2008, 08:27 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,800,723 times
Quote:
“People had been coming in all day stiffing us, not telling us nothing,” station employee Shane Weller says. “They knew something was wrong because regular gas was still $3-something a gallon
Not only are the oil companies greedy, but so are the consumers. But of course they are the same ones that would not tell you if you just dropped a $1 bill by accident, just so they could claim it.

Quote:
The paper says Deshauna Canty filled the 28-gallon tank in her Lincoln Navigator for $9.80.
So they have a name, could they make her pay up? They should.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:55 PM

469 posts, read 1,872,354 times
Are they mad that the customers didnt' say anything about the price mishap? I wouldn't. It's the station's responsiblity in insuring the correct pricing, not the customer. I'm surprised it took them all day to realize their mistake.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:17 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,900,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
So they have a name, could they make her pay up? They should.
For doing what? Paying the amount the station indicated they wanted for the product by setting the pumps to that price.

If it took all day for them to notice it, I would be looking at the employees themselves very closely. I would be willing to bet that not 100% of the customers paid at the pump, so how did they overlook the ones who came in and was paying less than $10 for gas.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
For doing what? Paying the amount the station indicated they wanted for the product by setting the pumps to that price.

If it took all day for them to notice it, I would be looking at the employees themselves very closely. I would be willing to bet that not 100% of the customers paid at the pump, so how did they overlook the ones who came in and was paying less than $10 for gas.
Ok, let's suppose you were pulling out some money of your wallet to pay for something and lets say a $20 fell out on the ground by accident....and suppose the person behind you see's this....should he/she not tell you "excuse me, you dropped your $20"?

It's the same concept. Lack of integrity. These people knew it was wrong, but were overridden with greed. Yes I will agree whoever changed the price should have watched what they were doing, but that doesn't mean it's right for people to take advantage of it.

And just so you know, a majority of pumps anymore are pre-pay, which means most usually just pay at the pump, unless they need to go in for something, and even then they usually still pay at the pump, for it's more convient to use plastic to pay with.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:05 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,900,695 times
Quote:
Ok, let's suppose you were pulling out some money of your wallet to pay for something and lets say a $20 fell out on the ground by accident....and suppose the person behind you see's this....should he/she not tell you "excuse me, you dropped your $20"?
Yes, they should, and most still do.

Quote:
It's the same concept. Lack of integrity. These people knew it was wrong, but were overridden with greed. Yes I will agree whoever changed the price should have watched what they were doing, but that doesn't mean it's right for people to take advantage of it.
Nope, not the same concept at all. There is a vast difference between somebody dropping money out of a wallet on accident and somebody posting a price they will take for an item, then charging that posted price. Not the same at all really.

Quote:
And just so you know, a majority of pumps anymore are pre-pay, which means most usually just pay at the pump, unless they need to go in for something, and even then they usually still pay at the pump, for it's more convient to use plastic to pay with.
Just so you know, I install gas pumps and know full well that most pumps that have been put in over the last 20 years have had that feature. Most do pay at the pump, and that is what I indicated. 100% of consumers generally do not though. I highly doubt you will find a gas station that everybody pays at the pump. If it is/was pre-pay the warnings should have been even greater for the employees, a person comes in and says they want a fill-up, then comes in and it is only $10 or $12, it should have been caught.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:34 PM

469 posts, read 1,872,354 times
Quote:
It's also your responsiblity to make sure you are carefully pulling the money out your wallet. You can't depend on someone else to do it for you. Yes the person behind you COULD say something, but it's not required of them.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:54 PM

910 posts, read 2,988,487 times
i hope this kangaroo takes an express over to my city so i can get some affordable gas.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:02 PM

Yes I know it's your responsibility to make sure you don't accidentally drop your money but you guys missed my point. It's called "integrity". Look it up if you don't know what it means.

And yes if someone accidentally posts the wrong price, it's just that an accident. That doesn't mean you take advantage of the situation. If anything those greedy people should have at least went in and say "Hey did you know...." instead of thinking "I know it's wrong, but I'm a greedy piece of $h!t so I think I'll take advantage of this".

As mentioned if you drop your money, if the guy behind you has any integrity he'll tell you. if he doesn't he won't. No it's not his job, but again it's called having integrity. Doing what is right even when no one is looking/watching.

Also if you want to know of a "pre pay" only pump take a trip to Acton, Indiana. There's a gas station that has gas pumps that require a credit card only. You don't go in and pay for it, it is solely pre pay and pre pay only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive