Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 09:06 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times

Advertisements

When buying a new vehicle if given the option, which type of floor mats would you choose? I was in such a rush to get out the dealer with my new car that I forgot to ask them to switch the carpeted mats for all weather. Went back to the dealer and bought those all weather mats. I’ve had those cheap mats you can buy at Walmart or Autozone but they never seem to fit right nor have enough grip to hold the mat in place. I didn’t throw away the carpeted mats. This car has hooks to hold the mats in place. Personally, I’d love to get rid of the floor carpeting entirely but that’s not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 10:57 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,660,797 times
Depends on where you live and how you use the car. If you live where there is snow, salt, and mud, or there are people frequently eating in the car, or you have no garage, I would definitely recommend all weather mats. If your car's floor is treated with more respect, then you can keep carpet looking nice.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:01 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Depends on where you live and how you use the car. If you live where there is snow, salt, and mud, or there are people frequently eating in the car, or you have no garage, I would definitely recommend all weather mats. If your car's floor is treated with more respect, then you can keep carpet looking nice.
I live in a trailer park without paved road nor paved parking. Even if I lived in a better place I would still consider all weather floor mats. Here in hurricane country we can get plenty of rain and possible flooding. Sometimes when working in the yard I’ll need to go to Lowe’s for some things and don’t feel the need to change my pants and shoes/boots.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:48 AM

24,469 posts, read 17,211,031 times
I have the thick rubber mats in 3 of 4 vehicles and they work great to capture sand, dirt, snow ice and water.
They really protect the interior. I bought them over the years at Walmart and they come in black, grey and tan with matching small ones for the rear.

We did get a custom fit mat for the rear of the Jeep from the dealer when we bought that.

It is so much easier to pull out a mat and clean it off then scrubbing carpet.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:05 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
Truck............All weather mats.

Car..............carpeted mats.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:09 PM

6,543 posts, read 7,124,380 times
I have oem rubber mats, carpet are worthless here in MN.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:34 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
I'm in Wyoming so we have our share of snow and muck, but when I mostly drove on trips or a work commute, I preferred the carpeted mats for my cars. I could still take them out when I washed the car and spray them off too, but they normally stayed fairly clean.

Now I have a job in which I use the car all day long and get in and out of it probably 20-30 times per day, and some of those times I'm tracking in a lot of snow and/or mud, so I got some good custom Weather Tech floor liners. They'll hold a half-inch of water before they overflow (which hasn't been much of a problem). I have the same type of cargo mat (Weather Tech).

I believe the front mats were around $110 (pair) and the cargo mat was $120. I didn't get a mat for the back seat because they're (almost) never used. If you wanted them, they're an extra $60-$70.

My Toyota dealer order them for me, as they were the same price but included shipping. You can order them on-line. Just select your make, model and year. Mine came with the driver's side that fastens into the car exactly like the Toyota mats do. They fit fine and seem to wear very well. (I'm in my 4th year and have nearly 90K miles on the car, and I haven't noticed any wear.)

When I've bought new pickups and 4x4s in the past, I've gotten rubber floor covering in place of carpet. You still wouldn't want to turn the hose on them, as you could have a real mess as the water gets under them, under the seats, etc., but I'd still scrub them with a pail of water and brush, then use a bath towel to dry them. I actually prefer the Weather Techs that fit on top of the carpet -- provides a little sound deadening, and the mats are easier to clean by just removing and spraying them.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:32 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,557 times
Driving for Uber and Lyft, I installed some heavy duty all weather rubber floor mats and they have been awesome!

I don’t need to vacuum the interior as much anymore, and the floor mats capture all the crumbs, dirt, and whatever else gets on the mat, even peoples wet shoes. After a long night picking up a bunch a people, it’s really easily to just shake em off outside.

If I had carpeted mats, they would have been destroyed already and smelly at that. So definitely rubber mats are the way to go and doesn’t matter what climate you live in as they will hold up for a very long time and will protect better.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:02 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
I ski. I have tray-style aftermarket rubber floor mats. You dump the snow and melted snow out so it doesn't soak the carpet underneath. In this car, they're Husky. In the last car, Weathertech. I like the plastic Weathertech uses better but in my current car, the Weathertech dump melted snow through the slot for the gas fill release lever on the floor.

I'm not doing it this year but I usually winter at a ski resort in Vermont with my car parked outdoors. Once you get the carpet wet, it doesn't dry out for months and you get ice condensation on the inside of the windshield. Tray-style rubber floor mats are kind of essential.

I have the OEM carpet floor mats for my current car in the basement. They have less than 200 miles of driving on them. I'll toss 'em in the car when I eventually trade it in.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:15 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
all-weather/rubber. My vehicles are practical tools, it only takes ONE instance of getting diesel/oil on your shoes while filling up to stain carpet, and that's something most of us can't avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive