Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 03:49 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times

Advertisements

Last body style of most models offer the best bang for the buck(deal). And as others have said, a more reliable package.

Neusbody style years usually offer newer look and new engine. Not always the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 03:51 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Typically speaking, it's best to avoid first year models, but as others have said, sometimes later year models actually lose features in the name of cost cutting.
Our 2012 Honda Civic was an experience of the opposite effect. 2012 MY was the first year of the generation, and while reliable and dependable, it was widely panned for its cheapo-looking interior. Honda moved quickly to make the dash panel a bit less cheap looking in subsequent model years.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:54 PM

70 posts, read 79,656 times
As a general rule, yes. This statement is true, uh.. unless you're talking about GM. Then it would be every year is bad.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:37 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCis33 View Post
As a general rule, yes. This statement is true, uh.. unless you're talking about GM. Then it would be every year is bad.

What such an ignorant statement to make and isn't true at all. But anyways, to answer the OP's question, usually, the latter years are better, just because automakers have had the time to get feedback from the customers on what problems have occurred in the earlier models, and obviously make improvements to the design, quality, and or engineering aspects of the car.

So YES. Especially in this day in age of high-tech everything, all those electronics need time to be worked out. Which ultimately benefits the customer.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:38 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I bought the first year the Durango was completely revamped in 2014. I've been happy with it. Sure, things have died/broken, but that happens with every vehicle. They're mechanical parts and there will always be part failures not to mention things just wear out like brakes.
"just wear out"....for whatever reason, even my brakes didn't need to be done until after 100K miles on my 2010 Passat. Other than a small diaphragm valve (made a racket), not a single part wore out or needed replaced in 111K miles. I finally did the brakes even though they still had 10% or more on them.

So I guess it's all relative. I used to sell all my vehicles (mostly minivans when family was bigger) before about 90K just because I thought they would start needing work. But I can only hope that there are more vehicles out there like my Passat.

Other than tires (at 40K+) and oil changes, there was $450 in total expenses (that valve thingy) in 7 years.

The way you say "sure, things have broken" seems to indicate you expect it. Maybe the vehicles you are buying are not as reliable as they could be?

But the key here is "no, there won't always be dead and broken parts" - at least in the first 100K plus miles...which I think is part of the point of this thread.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:57 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
Not only does the manufacturer have a learning process but so do the suppliers of important components. I have found the first model year can be a standing date with the dealer who is also a victim but happy to take warranty money for less than great patches.

If possible waiting until the first major refresh will get you a well sorted vehicle.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:05 AM

840 posts, read 1,120,725 times
Automotive terms I'm not familiar with:

Decontented
mail-in (last year of a run can be a mail-in)

Old 07-26-2017, 10:47 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Automotive terms I'm not familiar with:

Decontented
mail-in (last year of a run can be a mail-in)

Decontented means that content (features, options) available early in the model run is not available anymore later in the same model run (and not replaced by better/improved content).

Old 07-26-2017, 10:54 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
If the last year was the "best", it wouldn't be the last year.
The last year incorporates all the fixes (re-calls) updates and improvements over the previous years models, therefore the theory is those vehicles would be the best built models of it's generation.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:08 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
I don't think first/last year of car models is as good of an indicator or quality/reliability as it once was. Manufacturers are often swapping out engines, transmissions and components as they develop instead if waiting for a totally new model. And many cars have mid cycle refreshes that are thorough but really just a 4 year update in an 8 year cycle. Toyota seems to be doing this a lot lately. And with so many cars within each brand sharing components, the new car might feature equipment that's already been in production on a different vehicle for a couple of years. The new Accords are the first cars I can recently recall where they really are swapping out everything and going for all new engines and transmissions instead of existing or even modifications to a previous one.

The mid 90s Maximas where the first cars I recall be referred to as 'decontented.' Basically the previous generation had been a stellar car but was getting killed in sales because the trade rate with Japan and having features usually found in higher quality/pricier cars was forcing it into a higher cost point. They got rid of some trim and simplified design a little but one of the biggest savings was axing the independent rear suspension and a lot of reviewers immediately took them to task. The only thing saving the car was that the engine in the new model was world class at the time. The late 90s Mercedes E class was another car that was noted for being lesser to the car it replaced and it did not even have an improved engineer to hide other sins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive