Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 10:30 AM

51,011 posts, read 36,695,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Does anyone have experience with purchasing tires online and then having them installed locally? I don't have access to a free or substantially discounted place to install them, but some of the deals online make me think I could save substantial money this way.

I bought tires from Tire Rack online and had them shipped to a local Firestone for installation at a price guaranteed online. They had a lot of local facilities to choose from. I can't remember the price or the kind of tires they were, but I do remember price shopping and finding them to be cheapest. They also came with a longer warranty period than was being offered at brick and mortar stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
We charge higher installation costs to people who don't purchase their tires through us so mainly it doesn't save you any money in the long run. Also, we'll charge for rotations if you didn't purchase through us.
The online tire retailers have made deals with local facilities to install them at a guaranteed online price that they cannot change unless you get extra services of some sort. On TireRack, I put my zip code in and a list comes up with local installers they have agreements with, I chose one, the price listed for install is guaranteed, they shipped them there, I made an appointment for installation, no extra charges, easy-peasy.

This is the case with many online Auto Parts dealers. I had the same arrangement when I bought a radiator online - local shops have contracts with the company to install them, again at a previously agreed upon price that is guaranteed. It was half the price of getting it from a brick and mortar store (as was the power steering pump I bought online, but my personal mechanic near work put that in for me for a reasonable price, in fact was highly impressed how much cheaper it was than he could get. He was an awesome mechanic...I used to pay a lot for Mobil One oil changes, one day he says "You know, this would be much cheaper for you if you brought the oil and filter in yourself". A dying breed, he is harder to replace then the job I left down there.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:23 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,411,740 times
i like discount tire because of free shipping, and still saved a couple hundred on the exact same model and tire

Old 05-06-2017, 03:45 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,194,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The online tire retailers have made deals with local facilities to install them at a guaranteed online price that they cannot change unless you get extra services of some sort. On TireRack, I put my zip code in and a list comes up with local installers they have agreements with, I chose one, the price listed for install is guaranteed, they shipped them there, I made an appointment for installation, no extra charges, easy-peasy.

This is the case with many online Auto Parts dealers. I had the same arrangement when I bought a radiator online - local shops have contracts with the company to install them, again at a previously agreed upon price that is guaranteed. It was half the price of getting it from a brick and mortar store (as was the power steering pump I bought online, but my personal mechanic near work put that in for me for a reasonable price, in fact was highly impressed how much cheaper it was than he could get. He was an awesome mechanic...I used to pay a lot for Mobil One oil changes, one day he says "You know, this would be much cheaper for you if you brought the oil and filter in yourself". A dying breed, he is harder to replace then the job I left down there.
I just bought tires and the price listed for the same tires on Tire Rack I just bought was $32 more per tire than I paid for them at a shop here in town. They had to order them, but had them in shop by 2 same day. It included installation , lifetime rotation, balance, tire system gauge for each tire. I saved $120 by using a local shop.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:49 PM

31 posts, read 29,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Does anyone have experience with purchasing tires online and then having them installed locally? I don't have access to a free or substantially discounted place to install them, but some of the deals online make me think I could save substantial money this way.
You are thinking correctly. I've done this about 3 times. It's a very good idea if you have time to wait for tires to ship.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I just bought tires and the price listed for the same tires on Tire Rack I just bought was $32 more per tire than I paid for them at a shop here in town. They had to order them, but had them in shop by 2 same day. It included installation , lifetime rotation, balance, tire system gauge for each tire. I saved $120 by using a local shop.
That's awesome, it's just another tool for people. Just like Amazon, some things are cheaper than stores and some more expensive, you have to shop around.
I'm getting a tire locally tomorrow, because I hit something in my parking lot and tore my tire last night, and I don't have time to wait for shipping because I need to go to work Monday. BUT I had to call a half dozen different local places to find one that stocked my tire size (235/55/17), and they only have one choice in that size, so I have no choice but to pay $150 for one tire tomorrow. If I had a couple days I could wait, Tire Rack has tires in my size from $70 and up, so I would save money simply from having choices.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,790 times
There are many tire stores that offer installation service while purchasing tires from them. But now as you have bought them, just go for some trustworthy place and install them.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:00 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,597,696 times
Discounttiredirect price matches and offers free shipping. I saved over $100 buying from them over Tirerack.

Tire rack is an excellent source for info and research though.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:25 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,749,277 times
I just price match with Discount Tire locally

Old 06-06-2017, 03:16 PM

890 posts, read 885,682 times
Tire Rack is especially good if you want tires mounted on wheels, such as ordering winter tires. Mounting and balance is free, and can be shipped to your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive