Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 10:54 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,712,763 times

Advertisements

Quiktrip has a few ethanol free pumps at certain locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 12:07 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
40% of all corn grown in the U.S. ends up being burned in vehicle engines. Before Ethanol, you could buy 10 ears of corn for $1.00 at the local supermarket. Now they are 3 for $1.00 Having a bowl of corn flakes is now a luxury. Thank you E.P.A.
Sweet corn and field corn are two different crops. A little trash sweet corn may be used for ethanol, but if it happens it is rare. Field corn can be grown in most of the Midwest without irrigation. The protein, oil and fiber are unchanged, and the resultant brewers grains are mixed as part of a cattle ration.

Corn flakes are $1.69/lb in bulk and two pounds of corn flakes fill a grocery bag. If that's a luxury, you are in trouble.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:09 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
There are only a handful of Ethanol free stations in California and ALL of them are waaaay to far to drive to get gas......

So we pick the least crappiest gas we can find which is very hard as most of the gas is crappy.....
Yeah, I heard that California made it illegal to cut down trees and drove all of the lumber mills out of the state. It's one of the reasons they have such huge forest fires. "Log it, graze it, or watch it burn."

Old 09-07-2016, 06:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Be careful with aircraft fuel. Last time I spoke with a mechanic at the airport, he said not to run aircraft fuel in auto or small engines.

I don't recall the exact details but as I recall:
Octane level is over 100. That could burn up an engine not built for that level.
Something about the detergents or additives or something that isn't good for regular cars or small engines.
This is odd and makes no sense to me. Sounds like the mechanic is confused about what octane is. higher octane does not burn hotter than lower octane. Higher octane allows high compression engines to compress the fuel mix without pre-ignition. If the small enigne is not high compression, it will have no impact on the small engine. If it is high compression, then the premium high octane will be a helpful. WOrst case, you waste some money. How does it "burn out and engine"?

There was a common misconception that higher octane fuels burned hotter, or cleaner or were more explosive. I think this misconception was orchestrated by gasoline companies who wanted people to buy premium when they did not need it.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:59 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,623 times
Like I said, I don't recall the details. It was years ago.
The bottom line was the guy talked me out of it.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,785 times
Wink Aviation fuel 100 oct

Will burn you valves on small engines and car engines. In the process of making gas for cars from oil a chemical reaction creates the results of the gas to become volatile. After a long period of time the gas will lose the volatile part in the gas.

After a period of time gas with ethanol will separate, plus attract moisture which will rust the fuel tank and other fuel items before the gas gets to your cylinders to burn.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retflyr View Post
Will burn you valves on small engines and car engines. In the process of making gas for cars from oil a chemical reaction creates the results of the gas to become volatile. After a long period of time the gas will lose the volatile part in the gas.

After a period of time gas with ethanol will separate, plus attract moisture which will rust the fuel tank and other fuel items before the gas gets to your cylinders to burn.
WE are talking abut no ethanol high octane gas

Old 09-07-2016, 02:43 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retflyr View Post
A lot being stated about bad fuel over time and the dreaded ethanol in gas. I can attest to that in my 1990 Mercedes 300sel. Trouble is I only drive it about 1,000 miles a year. People may want to find out where to get Pure gas.

I hope this helps.
Yes it cost more but so do the additives.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

There's apps that will list 100% gas stations and will use your phone's GPS to find the closest one... The one I use is called 'Pure Gas'...

Old 09-07-2016, 03:34 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
I drive exactly the same distances every week, so I know how much gas I use. A few years ago, I stopped at a different station and filled up. Two weeks later, I still had more gas in the tank than I should have had.

When I stopped by that station later on, I saw that the pump I had used that day was labeled "Non-ethanol gas". It was amazing how much more mileage I got than when I normally bought ethanol.

When I took my one car to the dragstrip, I stopped at that station and filled up with the non ethanol Premium, and it too ran great in my 11 to 1 motor, I could feel the difference. Wish they would do away with ethanol altogether.

Don

Old 09-07-2016, 05:41 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I drive exactly the same distances every week, so I know how much gas I use. A few years ago, I stopped at a different station and filled up. Two weeks later, I still had more gas in the tank than I should have had.

When I stopped by that station later on, I saw that the pump I had used that day was labeled "Non-ethanol gas". It was amazing how much more mileage I got than when I normally bought ethanol.

When I took my one car to the dragstrip, I stopped at that station and filled up with the non ethanol Premium, and it too ran great in my 11 to 1 motor, I could feel the difference. Wish they would do away with ethanol altogether.

Don

Yes, I have seen the extra mileage be as much as 25% higher with non-ethanol gas. The public has really been sold a bill of goods about ethanol (among many other things). One of my pet peeves.

It has an incredibly short 'shelf life' and not only fouls up engines but reduces gas mileage significantly - at the same time that vehicle manufacturers are scrambling to increase gas mileage by miniscule amounts by paring off milligrams of weight each year and producing awful looking cars/SUVs with (I think) poorer visibility out windows that are reduced in size, etc.. All it would take to fix that would be to take the ethanol out of gas again (as it used to be). And it has also been said that the environmental impact of ethanol gas is actually greater than that of pure gas. I don't doubt it.

It is annoying to get less mileage on a vehicle but if your small aircraft can and does use non-ethanol gas (as some still do to my knowledge) but you can only get ethanol gas .. it is highly dangerous! I can stop my car along the side of the road if something goes wrong but where does one go when the spark plugs foul at 10k feet or some other mechanical failure happens mid-air as a result of seals or something else being eaten through? And with private pilots who own a plane there are often long periods when they don't use their aircraft - so this is not a trivial thing to replace their usual gas which can sit for up to 2 years without additives with that which has a very short shelf life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive