Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 03:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ethanol gas has spawned whole new industries that never existed before, like gas treatments to counteract the effects of ethanol. Very strange that we have to buy additives to fix the gasoline we pay good money for.

Marine technicians LOVE ethanol gas, it has brought them tons of new customers they would not have otherwise. When I worked at marinas, we would rebuild a customers fuel system and 3 months later they were back, accusing us of not doing a good job. Their boats were running like crap again, and it was because of ethanol, not something we had done wrong.

Don
Wait till FL becomes a CARB state!!! Then you can employ several thousand GOV people to enforce the rules for 'supporting industry' (To fix the issues we create with regulations)..

or.... you could get the same results TOMORROW (Free, via conservation measures), that CARB promises to achieve 20 yrs in future.

I buy ethanol-free fuel from Marine stores. (since I don't have any free-fuel WVO burning Diesel Chainsaws / (yet))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 06:22 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Any overall emissions reduction is debatable. Diesel burnt to run the tractors, harvesters, to truck the corn, whatever is used to make the electricity for the "hooch" plant - I'm pretty sure the emissions are higher overall with ethanol. I have read that about a gallon of Diesel is burnt to make a gallon of ethanol - a poor trade.

Then there is the farming of marginal soil to make more and more corn. And anyone who even gardens knows that corn is a "heavy feeder" and needs a lot of nitrogen to make a good yield. And where does most of the commercial nitrogen fertilizer come from? Anyone? Buehler? - that's right, it's made from natural gas.

Mandates need to go out like the Soviet Union went out.
No, the emissions reduction is not debatable. It is measurable and large. The Clean Air Act is the only reason you aren't living where the air kills people. People who don't like mandates need to move to Beijing, where you wear a mask to breathe when you go outside.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:36 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Be careful with aircraft fuel. Last time I spoke with a mechanic at the airport, he said not to run aircraft fuel in auto or small engines.

I don't recall the exact details but as I recall:
Octane level is over 100. That could burn up an engine not built for that level.
Something about the detergents or additives or something that isn't good for regular cars or small engines.

Higher octane isn't going to hurt an engine but the most readily available Avgas is 100 LowLead, put that in a vehicle having a catalytic converter and plan on replacing that cat real soon.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:19 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times
Yea, I'm realizing now the reason for not using the av gas is the lead, not the octane.

Talked with a friend/mechanic and he said he runs the av gas in his 2-cycle engines and they love it (but they don't have a catalytic converter).

Old 09-12-2016, 01:36 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
No, the emissions reduction is not debatable. It is measurable and large. The Clean Air Act is the only reason you aren't living where the air kills people. People who don't like mandates need to move to Beijing, where you wear a mask to breathe when you go outside.
I'm talking about the ethanol-laced fuel of the last few years, not the whole of pollution abatement equipment on gasoline engines.

If you have reliable numbers, (and please don't quote from an ethanol promotion board!) post them up.

Portlandia. Meh.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
What?

How does ethanol relate to Beijing?. Beijing pollution is a primarily a factory emission problem and has nothing to do with Ethanol. Do we even know whether the Chinese use ethanol in their cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive