Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 05:46 PM

639 posts, read 581,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Nice false dichotomy. But hey, whatever it takes for you to justify your actions to yourself. . .
He could sell his car and his house tomorrow for more than there worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 05:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,961,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I have a hard time with most of his advice because it sounds good, but the math seldom adds up. With cars, I've found that buying used, unless you have the ability to work on it, is just buying someone else's problems. I've bought used in the past and the life cycle cost as always higher than buying new because of repairs. Bought my truck new 16 years ago and the only "repairs" it's had are normal maintenance. Plan to give it to my son next year for college and replace it with another one that I hope to have just as long.

The big problem with his cash for everything is how to get from here to there, because in the interim you still need housing, transportation, etc. And every dollar you save is losing money on interest vs inflation.
Yeah, I'd LOVE to pay in cash but in reality unless you save as much as you can beyond housing, food, etc. you won't be able to do this. A used car, you SHOULD be able to pay cash upfront unless it is some late model repo or something like that. There are a good amount of used cars at around $3,000-4,000 so it's reasonable. Now yes, you can get someone else's problems with used cars as well as buying from Salvos, Savers, Goodwills and factory stores, BUT at least with used, now you can try and run a carfax on them.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:21 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,212,624 times
I agree with Dave Ramsey although I rarely listen to him. I decided long before I ever heard of him to not finance cars and have never had a car loan. Have always had some savings and would just buy what I could afford. Cars have never been a status symbol for me and, when I was younger, women I dated didn't really seem to care what kind of car I drove. My investing started out as a savings account for my next car. That was about 28 years ago. That grew and grew because the vehicles tend to keep going and I would often keep them longer than most would. Always have bought used. My last car purchase was less than 5% of what started out as my car fund. Years ago, I used a portion of the fund to pay off the house, which was early. Based on my experience, if you pick the right vehicle, they can run and run for years with very few issues. I think financing is right for some people though. I sure appreciate the people who finance their vehicles and take good care of them because, when I go shopping for a used car, I find some really nice deals out there.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:47 PM

15,442 posts, read 25,870,616 times
His advice is part of a total package. Everyone here seems to focus on only one part (car advice) and ignore that it makes sense only when taken together with the rest of it. If you're not up to your ears in debt, then his advice isn't for you.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:03 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,769,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
That's absurd, you can use the banks money and pay zero or.9% and keep your money. How exactly does spending your bonus on a lease (of all things) with no return in the end, save you money? My last 2 car's were financed at 0%. That's called a win/win.
Most Americans finance a GM for 0% then after 4 years tries to trade in a car or sell used only to find out their car is worthless. The $30k financed at 0% is effectively a $5k car after 4 years. The only option to get the most is to trade it back for another worthless GM that loses value.

After all these trade-ins and financing you still have an iff car with car payments vs a high quality used Japanese car that retains value.

All new cars regardless of financed or purchase all take a huge depreciation hit on the 1st year. Which is why used cars win if you can find a great deal on slightly new.

$30k new domestic, after 4 years is worth ~$7k, continuous car payments and reliability issues.

$11k used Japanese, after 4 years is worth $9k+, no car payments and small wear and tear issues.

I've bought used Hondas, Toyotas, and Subarus and sold them for the same price that I've paid for even after putting on 20-30k mi on them with very little maintenance.

Just about all my well to do folks drive a Japanese car to work. Look at Jeff Bezos, he still drives a Honda Accord.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:07 PM

17,428 posts, read 22,186,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most Americans finance a GM for 0% then after 4 years tries to trade in a car or sell used only to find out their car is worthless. The $30k financed at 0% is effectively a $5k car after 4 years. The only option to get the most is to trade it back for another worthless GM that loses value.

After all these trade-ins and financing you still have an iff car with car payments vs a high quality used Japanese car that retains value.

All new cars regardless of financed or purchase all take a huge depreciation hit on the 1st year. Which is why used cars win if you can find a great deal on slightly new.

$30k new domestic, after 4 years is worth ~$7k, continuous car payments and reliability issues.

$11k used Japanese, after 4 years is worth $9k+, no car payments and small wear and tear issues.

I've bought used Hondas, Toyotas, and Subarus and sold them for the same price that I've paid for even after putting on 20-30k mi on them with very little maintenance.

Just about all my well to do folks drive a Japanese car to work. Look at Jeff Bezos, he still drives a Honda Accord.
I better call the dealer I just bought a car from and tell them they overpaid for my trade!
2010 F150, bought new 30,900 sold 59K miles later for 21K. Threw in $880 bucks and drove out in a brand new 2015 Honda Accord coupe.

Warren Buffet drives an older Lincoln Town Car......guess we better tell him a used Japanese car would be better!

Old 12-14-2015, 07:22 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,916,882 times
$1500 -$3000 won't buy much of a used vehicle. Also probably a good reason they are for sale.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:04 PM

806 posts, read 961,437 times
Last time my parents bought a used car, they spent over $5k in repairs.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:06 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,750,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I think his target audience is people who coasted along, ended up with a lot of credit card debt, and are now trying to figure out how to dig themselves out of the hole. Being Christian probably helps too.
Isn't that almost all of the middle class?

Old 12-14-2015, 10:09 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,750,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
$1500 -$3000 won't buy much of a used vehicle. Also probably a good reason they are for sale.
I wouldn't say that's always true if you buy right rather than the first car you find. I bought a used Volvo wagon with 145,000 for $2200 to haul dogs, wood, plants, etc in. 42,000 miles later I sold it for $2500 and didn't have a single repair bill. You have to pay attention. Lot's of good cars out there. Tend to be Toyotas, Hondas, Subarus, or Volvos with a few big 3 trucks as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive