Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 10:32 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
The claim that you have to make $500,000 per year to afford a new car is so far past absurd, it's into absurdly stupid territory.
Ever heard of intentionally exaggerating something to make a point? Yeah me too..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 10:45 AM

446 posts, read 709,116 times
The only time in the past 30 years I didn't pay cash for a car is when I had a zero interest loan from Subaru.

As soon as I buy a car I start saving up for the next car. The older your car gets the more money you should have available.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:57 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,731,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
The only time in the past 30 years I didn't pay cash for a car is when I had a zero interest loan from Subaru.

As soon as I buy a car I start saving up for the next car. The older your car gets the more money you should have available.
Blashpemy!! We know those don't exist

Old 12-21-2015, 11:09 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Ever heard of intentionally exaggerating something to make a point? Yeah me too..
I have worked with guys making between 500k and five million a year who buy used cars only as only rich folk buy new cars.

And both only buy from owner to avoid sales tax at dealer.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:36 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,230,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
I have worked with guys making between 500k and five million a year who buy used cars only as only rich folk buy new cars.

And both only buy from owner to avoid sales tax at dealer.
In my State, a buyer has to pay sales tax, regardless of whether the vehicle was purchased from a dealer, or a private party. Same rate, in either case.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:39 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
He never says this...... ever.

He says to sell your $40k car that you can't afford and buy something that you can pay cash for and eliminate the debt. Do some of you actually listen to his show?
The thing about that is once someones purchases that $40k, it's going to be drop substantially once you drive it off the lot. Let's say you get $30k out of it. You still have $10k in deficiency on a car you no longer own, then have to buy a second car that is likely going to end up in higher maintenance costs, etc.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:00 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The thing about that is once someones purchases that $40k, it's going to be drop substantially once you drive it off the lot. Let's say you get $30k out of it. You still have $10k in deficiency on a car you no longer own, then have to buy a second car that is likely going to end up in higher maintenance costs, etc.
Right, but if you make $60K, a $40K car is too much in most places (unless you live in the boonies and live in a $50K house or rent for $300/month.)

You would lose $10K, but if you make $60K and have a $900 house payment, then maybe its wiser to take the hit and get rid of the car to get breathing room in the budget. Its all income dependent. If you make $120K and everything else is the same, the car isn't going to cause the same pain in your life.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:05 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
In my State, a buyer has to pay sales tax, regardless of whether the vehicle was purchased from a dealer, or a private party. Same rate, in either case.
Most states if you buy from a private party in the driveway with cash there is tons of flexibility on what you put down as purchase price. Plus there is always gift form.

I once bought a used Jeep from an estate, son sold it to me for cost of paying off loan to Chase plus $100. Loan was $8,400. I went to Chase with son paid off loan and owner and Chase signed over title to me and gave me a receipt for $100.

I went to DMV paid sales tax on $100 and registered car.

Also I see folks gift cars under $14,000 and I see folks with classic cars going at all types of crazy prices.

Personally I dont think second, third, fourth owners of cars should pay sales tax.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:28 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Owing an extra $10k may be the lesson learned when you sell if for $30k. That's still eliminating $30k of that person's debt that they could not afford. At some point you have to lessen the bleeding before you can completely stop it. Standing by while everything falls apart is silly and reckless. Once you are that deep in, every penny counts and you have to make it work. You can no longer afford the "nice to haves". It's all about the "gotta haves" at this point.

Let's say someone buys a new car for $40k and got a "great" interest rate of 2.9%. They financed the car over a 7 year period (84 mos). They're going to pay out $1,160 in interest over the life of the loan. They opted for GAP insurance, so their total payment is $525 per month. They are carrying full coverage insurance at $110 per month. Each month that vehicle cost them $635 off the bat.

They have $5k in the bank. They decide to sell the car listening to DR's advice. They end up taking an $8k loss on the car and sell it for $32k. They take the $5k in the bank and buy a used vehicle. They take out a 3 year signature loan to pay off the balance owed on the car at 11% interest ($8880 total paid back). They take out liability insurance at $55 per month to get them by.

Current monthly vehicle debt: ($7,620 per year)
Payment - $525
FC insurance - $110

Potential "new" debt: $3,612 per year. Add in another $1,000 for repairs..... $4,612 per year)
Payment - $0
Liab insurance - $55
Sig loan - $246

Old car monthly debt: $635
New monthly debt: $301

Meaning each month this person could save $334 that would go towards paying off the other debts they have.

Used vehicles don't break down every week. Typically (unless you bought a junker, which would mean you didn't do your due diligence) you're going to be looking at general maintenance that is the same on a new vehicle plus possibly some small repairs here and there. So tack on an extra $1k per year to be safe. You still could potentially save over $3k per year. While that's not a lot to some folks, when you are nickel and diming your way out of debt that could have paid off a high interest credit card.

If you're in that situation, you HAVE to count every penny.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:33 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Most states if you buy from a private party in the driveway with cash there is tons of flexibility on what you put down as purchase price. Plus there is always gift form.

I once bought a used Jeep from an estate, son sold it to me for cost of paying off loan to Chase plus $100. Loan was $8,400. I went to Chase with son paid off loan and owner and Chase signed over title to me and gave me a receipt for $100.

I went to DMV paid sales tax on $100 and registered car.

Also I see folks gift cars under $14,000 and I see folks with classic cars going at all types of crazy prices.

Personally I dont think second, third, fourth owners of cars should pay sales tax.
Congratulations, you've just admitted to criminal fraud on an open message board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive