Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 06:11 PM

687 posts, read 2,129,141 times

Advertisements

Care to share tips for getting good mileage from Honda Civic Hybrid?

Last summer, on an environmental impulse, I exchanged my super duper Audi S8 (v8, 350 hp, 0 to 60 in 5.5 sec) for a Honda Civic Hybrid. However, I seem to have a heavy foot (really enjoy speed and fast starts), so am not optimizing the environmental benefits (getting around 35 mpg) of driving a hybrid. Listening to country music seems to help a bit. Who can drive fast to such classics as "I still miss you baby, but my aim's getting better", or "How come your dog don't bite nobody but me". Leaving the A/C off also improved mileage. However, that's a time-limited option, as I live in Houston, and weather is temperamental. Any other suggestions, either technical and/or psychological? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 07:16 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,947 times
I also have a Civic, but it's not a hybrid. I tend to also get around 35 mpg in combined, though mostly highway, driving. I haven't yet figured out the secret to getting better mileage, either, though on one tank I did average over 40 mpg, and that was when I crossed the Rockies on I-70 last summer! Maybe my car does better with Colorado gas.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:18 AM

wow - 40mpg. Were you perhaps coasting downhill and without using A/C?? I've read that the advertised mpg is not realistic, since those were arrived at in lab conditions, and real driving is very different. My Prius-driving friend gets much better mileage than me.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
wow - 40mpg. Were you perhaps coasting downhill and without using A/C?? I've read that the advertised mpg is not realistic, since those were arrived at in lab conditions, and real driving is very different. My Prius-driving friend gets much better mileage than me.
That may be due to the fundamental differences in the hybrid drive systems between the Civic and Prius. The Prius has the ability to drive on electric alone at low speeds, whereas with the Civic hybrid the engine is always running as long as the accelerator pedal is depressed.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:18 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
When I got 40 MPG, I was crossing the Rockies - twice! I was heading from Glenwood Springs into Denver, then back again, climbing from below 6,000 feet to over 11,000 feet each time. I did use the cruise control most of the way, so that may have helped, though I did so on the rest of my trip and only got about 37 MPG the rest of the time. Usually, here in California, even when using cruise control, my mileage doesn't get over 35, and is usually a little less. Perhaps it's because of having to change speeds due to the increased traffic, or maybe it's because of the gasoline formula used here to reduce emissions.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:30 AM

It's the cruise control then, I know it! I do a lot of city driving, from one traffic light to the next. When I go out of town, travelling on freeway, I do get better mileage. So I guess so far the best practices are driving without A/C, use cruise control when possible, and coast as much as possible. That should make all those nice Houston drivers behind me very happy, hehe.

Someone suggested that lightening the load, by taking out the back seat, will really help :-)

Old 01-28-2008, 09:56 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,212,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
When I got 40 MPG, I was crossing the Rockies - twice! I was heading from Glenwood Springs into Denver, then back again, climbing from below 6,000 feet to over 11,000 feet each time. I did use the cruise control most of the way, so that may have helped, though I did so on the rest of my trip and only got about 37 MPG the rest of the time. Usually, here in California, even when using cruise control, my mileage doesn't get over 35, and is usually a little less. Perhaps it's because of having to change speeds due to the increased traffic, or maybe it's because of the gasoline formula used here to reduce emissions.
I get better gas mileage going from Denver to Copper. I really think it has to do with all of the coasting. And maybe the altitude also...an engine uses less fuel at higher altitudes because it is not making as much power.

And to the thread starter...you sold your A8 for a hybrid! LOOOlllllllll....sorry I could not help it.

You would be getting better gas mileage if you bought a diesel VW Heck, if you still wanted luxury doesn't MB make an E-class diesel?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
And to the thread starter...you sold your A8 for a hybrid! LOOOlllllllll....sorry I could not help it.
It's even worse than you think. I started out with an S4, then upgraded to an S8, which is an A8 on steroids. At the time, I was using a different rating criteria (looks & performance rather than earth and sustainability). Now I repeat this mantra every time I get in the car, "speed is relative, my footprint is sooo very light, and I am a good steward of our natural resources"

I'm out of luck with the altitude though. Houston's pretty flat. The only altitude I get is from the highway overpasses.

Last edited by karuna95; 01-28-2008 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: accidentally clicked submit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive