Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:40 AM

667 posts, read 2,301,811 times

Advertisements

As I Pisces, I have some weird quirks.

I absolutely will not pump gas with the car on, well, I've heard that this could potentially be dangerous.

And also, here in Arizona the air is REALLY dry. I swear I shock anything that I touch, seriously. On Christmas day I touched our cordless phone, on the base & the shock was so strong that it shut the phone off & it had to recharge

So, in turn, I clap my hand before touching doorknobs, basically anything metal.
Now, my questions are:
1. Is it dangerous to pump gas with the car still running?
2. Can a big shock transferred from your hand start a fire/blow-up while pumping gas?

Maybe I should just pass this one down to the Mythbusters!

Last edited by collected_eve; 12-27-2007 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: GOING BOLD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 09:32 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,224,340 times
It's not only potentially dangerous to fuel your gasoline vehicle with the motor running, it's illegal to do so in every state.

While the potential for a fire is very low, I've seen the results of a "hot fueling" fire at a gas station. It's not pretty ... the whole station went up in flames, with numerous vehicles torched or badly damaged, and several folks with serious injuries and lots of burns.

On the same note, I've seen two gas station fueling fires started by camper vehicles where the propane fueled refrigerator was left "on" and the pilot light ignited gasoline fumes in the area. Completely leveled the gas station, truck stop, car wash, and c-store. Like cigarettes and other sources of ignition, these are supposed to be kept away or extinguished before coming into the fueling area.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:40 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,723,412 times
Interesting question / post, Collected_eve

Not only is pumping gasoline while the engine is running illegal but it is downright STUPID. In addition to fires and/or explosions, there is a known and very real threat of car theft since your keys are in the ignition and the doors are unlocked.

However, I believe there is a much greater danger . . . SMOKING WHILE PUMPING GAS.

About ten years ago, I just missed a tragic gas station explosion in Florida caused by an IDIOT doing just that. There were a number of deaths and the entire area looked like a bomb had exploded.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Old 12-27-2007, 10:51 AM

394 posts, read 2,004,492 times
I saw something on the news last year about static electricity and fires at gas stations. I can't remember the details, but I do remember being surprised to learn it really does happen.

I just googled this issue, and sure enough it can happen. Here is what the Petroleum Equipment Institute has to say (and if you click the link, it does include Mythbusters):

http://www.pei.org/Index.aspx?p=stop_static

Almost 200 incidents have been reported to PEI that appear to be related static electrical discharge.

Three Rules for Safe Refueling

1. Turn off engine.
2. Don't smoke.
3. Never re-enter your vehicle while refueling.

Are Cell Phones Responsible?
No. We have not documented a single incident that was caused by a cellular telephone.

Cell phones continue to be cited as causing fires at the pump in e-mails circulating on the Internet. So far we have been unable to document any incidents that were sparked by a cellular telephone. In fact, many researchers have tried to ignite fuel vapors with a cell phone and failed.

PEI still recommends not using any electronic device that might distract the motorist during the refueling process.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:51 AM

24,499 posts, read 26,042,042 times
Also, it's not wise to get back in the car while refueling because of static electricity when you get back out.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:03 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,682,682 times
I have not turned my engine off while pumping gas in 40 years and never will. Especially today it is federal law to have those vapor recovery rubber covers over the nozzle which is suppose to eliminate gas vapors from escaping. I have been in old fashioned gas stations without these vapor recovery boots.

Funny some one said about the RVs and their LP gas and the pilot for the fridge. So I went outside to look at mine. The LP gas and the igniter is on the opposite side of the gas filler. Also there are no more pilot lights in modern RVs. They are all electronic ignition.

Getting in and out of your car and causing static? That is quite the stretch. Surely your life is in much more danger just pulling back out into traffic.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
I saw something on the news last year about static electricity and fires at gas stations. I can't remember the details, but I do remember being surprised to learn it really does happen.

I just googled this issue, and sure enough it can happen. Here is what the Petroleum Equipment Institute has to say (and if you click the link, it does include Mythbusters):

http://www.pei.org/Index.aspx?p=stop_static

Almost 200 incidents have been reported to PEI that appear to be related static electrical discharge.

Thanks!
VERY helpful website & I noticed that the Mythbusters did do a run with the cellphones & failed!

I NEVER leave my car running while pumping, though my husband's boss does (witnessed that last night.....stupid...) & my husband & I talked about this issue for a few.

As far as the static shock thing, I suppose I'll just keep clapping my hands before touching the pump!

Last edited by collected_eve; 12-27-2007 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: ....

Old 12-27-2007, 11:08 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,136,984 times
[quote=desertsun41;2343521]I have not turned my engine off while pumping gas in 40 years and never will. Especially today it is federal law to have those vapor recovery rubber covers over the nozzle which is suppose to eliminate gas vapors from escaping. I have been in old fashioned gas stations without these vapor recovery boots.

QUOTE]

Let me know where you fill up so I can wait across the street with my camera....fireballs make such a pretty picture......

Old 12-27-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I have not turned my engine off while pumping gas in 40 years and never will.

Getting in and out of your car and causing static? That is quite the stretch. Surely your life is in much more danger just pulling back out into traffic.
This is all true!

But I think of that ONE IN A MILLION chance.
All the strange happenings that leave you thinking, "WHOA....how in the world....glad that wasn't me..."
All you need is that right timing & split second.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:25 AM

394 posts, read 2,004,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post

As far as the static shock thing, I suppose I'll just keep clapping my hands before touching the pump!
People will think you are very happy. LOL!

I for one am paranoid to ever get out of my car at a gas station now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive