Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 05:28 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,604,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
Thanks Don. My car IS Japanese, not German though. Suzuki Sidekick Sport with the 1.8L. Runs great so I don't think I'm going to get it changed. Hearing others experiences with this does help give me some much needed insight. Thanks everyone.
There are not a whole lot of Suzuki Sidekicks out there at this time, so my experience is limited. I am not aware of them having a weak timing chain, though.

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 05:50 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,119,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Your statement about power or torque is a little misleading. The timing chain does not handle either power or torque, but opens and closes valves. A motor built for high torque could have a conservative valve profile that would put a relatively low load on the camshaft(s) and hence a low load on the timing chain. There are all sorts of factors such as type of rocker arms, etc. There is also a huge range in the width and design of a timing chain, so there are no universal rules re' timing chain longevity.

Don in Austin
You are correct. I was more referring to the fact that the only engines I know that break timing chains are on high horsepower cars, because they have enough power to go through the rpm band VERY quickly.

Vipers are known for breaking timing chains by hitting the rev limiter often enough, as are Porsches and Gallardos. Those engines put a lot of stress on the drivetrain, far more than what you'd expect from a 1.8 in a Suzuki.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:04 PM

19,090 posts, read 27,667,472 times
OP, just don't worry about it. There is good reason Sidekicks are considered one of the best small go anywhere cars and are still very popular. They are very rugged. I had "pleasure" of doing clutch twice on one. Damn transmission is size half car.
CR-V-s have chains, life time; my Camry has chain, lifetime.
Personally, I'd put chain over belt. Unfortunately, Asians still like doing belts on V6 engines. Sucks, as you have to do costly 100 000 miles service. $1100, as new cars almost all have some sort of variable valve timing arrangement and is makes it very hard on DIY types.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:25 PM

774 posts, read 1,165,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
You are correct. I was more referring to the fact that the only engines I know that break timing chains are on high horsepower cars, because they have enough power to go through the rpm band VERY quickly.

Vipers are known for breaking timing chains by hitting the rev limiter often enough, as are Porsches and Gallardos. Those engines put a lot of stress on the drivetrain, far more than what you'd expect from a 1.8 in a Suzuki.
This assertion is wrong, wrong, wrong. ANY engine can break a timing chain if you put enough miles on the engine. I broke the timing chain on my '85 Regal with a lowly 3.8L V6. This thing didn't make enough power to pull your hat off your head. I've had chains break on stock daily driver small block Chevrolets. I've seen a lot of timing chains break over the years. The issue is WEAR, not how much stress you put on the drivetrain.
The smart thing to do with a high mileage engine with a questionable timing chain is to change it. Doesn't make sense not to.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 PM

18,053 posts, read 27,503,944 times
A couple of years ago, I changed the timing chain in my 50 year old car and it was still good.

Last edited by McGowdog; 02-15-2014 at 07:48 PM..

Old 02-15-2014, 08:02 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,119,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
This assertion is wrong, wrong, wrong. ANY engine can break a timing chain if you put enough miles on the engine. I broke the timing chain on my '85 Regal with a lowly 3.8L V6. This thing didn't make enough power to pull your hat off your head. I've had chains break on stock daily driver small block Chevrolets. I've seen a lot of timing chains break over the years. The issue is WEAR, not how much stress you put on the drivetrain.
The smart thing to do with a high mileage engine with a questionable timing chain is to change it. Doesn't make sense not to.
Spoken like someone who's never been around high horsepower cars.

Yes, if you put enough miles on an engine it could break the timing chain eventually. This isn't news. It's more likely to break due to rapid acceleration and deceleration of the engine.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:36 PM

19,090 posts, read 27,667,472 times
Well, chains do stretch. Easy test is to take chain off, fold it flat, grab one end and hold horizontal. If the opposite end sags, that chain has to be replaced. There is standard per different makes how much sag is too much.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:34 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,237,357 times
Chains don't need to be replaced.

But timing belts are better from a performance & refinement point of view. Just drive the Honda Accord V6 which uses a timing belt and see for yourself..

Besides the Japanese timing belt design that Toyota at least used to use won't do any damage to the motor even if they do snap..

Old 02-16-2014, 06:52 AM

558 posts, read 1,122,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
There are not a whole lot of Suzuki Sidekicks out there at this time, so my experience is limited. I am not aware of them having a weak timing chain, though.

Don in Austin
Your right, the Sport (my model) is actually considered a bit rare. Not collectible rare, but rare as in their not as common as a CRV or most other makes/models. I just joined a Sidekick forum I found and got some great info. Not many owners over there are messing with their chains. Most have well over 200k.
Guess I'll leave well enough alone, for now.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:14 AM

4,626 posts, read 12,309,333 times
I've had to replace timing belts on a couple of Ford 2300's I've had, and only one Buick I had when GM was using a nylon cam gear for quieter operation. These nylon gears has a tendency to wear and allow the chain to jump teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive