Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:28 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,903,900 times

Advertisements

I don't get why people who claim they want to buy something don't want to be contacted. You've been shopping for a year? Who takes that long to make a decision? Why were you contacting dealers in the first place if you weren't ready to buy? What is so complex about a mainstream Hyundai that takes that long to research?

You can learn plenty on line without giving contact information and without soliciting the dealer. You were just kicking tires wasting their time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 08:01 PM

60 posts, read 290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't get why people who claim they want to buy something don't want to be contacted. You've been shopping for a year? Who takes that long to make a decision? Why were you contacting dealers in the first place if you weren't ready to buy? What is so complex about a mainstream Hyundai that takes that long to research?

You can learn plenty on line without giving contact information and without soliciting the dealer. You were just kicking tires wasting their time.
Whatever, as said I don't mind them contacting me if they're willing to help me and answer my questions. My complaint is not about being contacted period. It's taken ME a year to make a decision on what kind of car I specifically want. At this point I am ready to buy.No need to be rude. This is my first car purchase and I will be keeping the car a long time. Nothing at all wrong with me taking my time and asking dealers questions. How the heck am I "kicking tires wasting their time" by asking questions? I'm doing just the opposite. All I want is a dealer that will communicate with me before I take off work and drive 45 minutes to an hour to look at a car.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:06 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,254,172 times
There's really nothing you can ask a dealer that cannot be found out online -- ok, maybe the dealer cost.
What kind of info are you seeking that you are not getting after researching for a year?
Simple way to avoid annoying dealer phone calls: fake phone number.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:22 PM

60 posts, read 290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
There's really nothing you can ask a dealer that cannot be found out online -- ok, maybe the dealer cost.
What kind of info are you seeking that you are not getting after researching for a year?
Simple way to avoid annoying dealer phone calls: fake phone number.
Anything that isn't obvious to me from pictures or listed specs. So if a dealer is saying they have a Sonata SE, I may ask if it has push start (it should but some don't. It's not always obvious in the pics.). I may ask if it has a spare (again, I've found that some do and some don't.) I may ask for additional pictures if they have the time. I'm not asking them to negotiate with me online. My irritation comes from getting a phone call where I ask a question and all I get is "I'll have to check, when can you come in?" rather than an email that says "Sure, it has push start. Would you like to test drive it?"

Old 02-14-2014, 05:48 AM

10,599 posts, read 18,010,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teincilove View Post
I've been in the market for a car since this time last year. So I finally narrow down what I want (and I knew it all along really) 2012 or newer Black Sonata with Power Seats, preferably in the SE trim. I test drove one of these and I feel it's the best fit I've found thus far.

Anyway, I've over the past two weeks I've been seriously looking for this car at the right price, right miles, and in good condition. I prefer email initially and I send inquiries asking for simple info. What trim is this (many don't say), Does it have power seats, does it include a spare tire, do you have the car I'm looking for (if it's a Hyundai dealer)...They all ask for my phone number. If I do give it, all they want to do is make an appointment. They won't tell me anything.

Has anyone had luck actually negotiating or getting info through the email? Is it just dealers around me stuck on having you come in? Even the "internet sales" department isn't helping me without seeing me face to face. Funny I'm just as frustrated now as I was months ago with the car buying process.
Buying a car by email? No.

Sales are not closed by email unless you talking about the famous investment scams.

No sales person is going to want to do that. They're going to want to offer you things that you didn't think of for one. Like warranties. They also are going to want to know if it's a trade, or financed or whatever.

Besides, if you want something special in a new car, any sales person will FIND IT even if it's from another state. If you want a used car go to the LOT.

Spare tire? Really?

I can help you with that question. YES there is a spare tire. Or they'll put one in for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=buyi...m=122&ie=UTF-8

Old 02-14-2014, 06:15 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,135,798 times
Craigslist. The difference in cost is enormous.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:44 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,858,670 times
Yes I have always had luck when I'm in the market for a vehicle.

1. I never just out my number.

2. I always just give them my email.

3. If they don't like #2 then I walk.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,208,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Buying a car by email? No.

Sales are not closed by email unless you talking about the famous investment scams.

No sales person is going to want to do that. They're going to want to offer you things that you didn't think of for one. Like warranties. They also are going to want to know if it's a trade, or financed or whatever.

Besides, if you want something special in a new car, any sales person will FIND IT even if it's from another state. If you want a used car go to the LOT.

Spare tire? Really?

I can help you with that question. YES there is a spare tire. Or they'll put one in for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=buyi...m=122&ie=UTF-8
Times have changed.

For years I have done my communication and price negotiation through email. It is simple, less time consuming and a lot more common than many think. Call the dealer with your credit card number (don't put the CC #'s in email) for your deposit so they can see you're serious (once you agreed on a car price. Of course if you pay cash is the easiest transaction.

Only stubborn dying dealerships don't accept this method nowadays since their competitors who are open to close the deal remotely, do open they market to entire USA, not just the local market. I got my cars in the past hundreds of miles away from home, just took a one way flight and came back home with my new car.

Also, some cars don't have a spare tire, and dealer cannot "put on for you" since the car is not designed to conceal a spare tire (unless you throw it in the trunk or back seat).

Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,945,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teincilove View Post
I've been in the market for a car since this time last year. So I finally narrow down what I want (and I knew it all along really) 2012 or newer Black Sonata with Power Seats, preferably in the SE trim. I test drove one of these and I feel it's the best fit I've found thus far.

Anyway, I've over the past two weeks I've been seriously looking for this car at the right price, right miles, and in good condition. I prefer email initially and I send inquiries asking for simple info. What trim is this (many don't say), Does it have power seats, does it include a spare tire, do you have the car I'm looking for (if it's a Hyundai dealer)...They all ask for my phone number. If I do give it, all they want to do is make an appointment. They won't tell me anything.

Has anyone had luck actually negotiating or getting info through the email? Is it just dealers around me stuck on having you come in? Even the "internet sales" department isn't helping me without seeing me face to face. Funny I'm just as frustrated now as I was months ago with the car buying process.
Yes. However, don't ask questions (at least not initially). Send an email stating exactly what you are looking for (e.g. SE Trim, black interior, black or beige interior...). Then ask for their best out-the-door price. Say that you would like to keep everything over email, for your convenience.

Do this with multiple dealers and cut & paste other's responses to get the best deal. The only issue you may have is with a trade-in.

If the car is used, then do all of the research you can from the dealer's site and the big boys (autotrader, cars.com...). Then ask for their best out the door price and again cut and paste emails (e.g. Dealer Y has the same model, with 5K less miles for $500 less. Beat that).

Old 02-14-2014, 08:42 AM

471 posts, read 984,918 times
The sales reps are still living in the fantasy world where wide eyed, uninformed consumers will wander in and be led through the 4 square process like little lambs. I have tried dealing with the internet people, but never could get a firm price from anyone, each rep wanted me in so they could try to feature and benefit me so much I would pay anything. Of course, they are also aware of the game of a person getting a price and then coming in and trying for a better one. All these dealerships are really snake pits and if there is anyway possible you could live with a late model used car from a private seller, check out getting one that way instead, especially if the car still has some of the factory warranty on it!

On C-List, most dealers will not list a price, thinking they will wow you with the wordage for that Corolla that you will take a day off work just to run down there and see how much it is. Me, I research what I want and then only buy on price. Getting a car is a business transaction and be wary of dealers who claim to be close friends or offer carnival like settings to distract you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive