Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 PM

78,982 posts, read 61,148,953 times

Advertisements

This whole argument boils down to cheeta vs. African wild dog.

If you understand the reference then awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,167,326 times
LOL, this thread reminds me of a conversation I had back in high school in the early 90's. There was a kid in the auto body class next door (I was in the auto mech class) that came over and we got into a discussion about how fast my car could go (1991 Dodge Stealth twin turbo.)

Stock, my car was good for a 0-60 of about 5.2, and quarter mile in high 13's. Top speed was 160. Now at the time (1993-94) there was Porsche Turbos, Lamborghini Diablos, Ferrari 512's, etc, that were all faster than my car and could do about 180ish or so.

But this kid swore up and down that the fastest cars on the road were the Police Caprice Interceptors. It was illegal for anyone to have a faster car than those cars. My friends and I just looked at him like he was a complete idiot, which of course, he was.

I don't think I've met anyone to this day that was as clueless about cars as he was.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:42 PM

7,010 posts, read 12,027,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
LOL, this thread reminds me of a conversation I had back in high school in the early 90's. There was a kid in the auto body class next door (I was in the auto mech class) that came over and we got into a discussion about how fast my car could go (1991 Dodge Stealth twin turbo.)

Stock, my car was good for a 0-60 of about 5.2, and quarter mile in high 13's. Top speed was 160. Now at the time (1993-94) there was Porsche Turbos, Lamborghini Diablos, Ferrari 512's, etc, that were all faster than my car and could do about 180ish or so.

But this kid swore up and down that the fastest cars on the road were the Police Caprice Interceptors. It was illegal for anyone to have a faster car than those cars. My friends and I just looked at him like he was a complete idiot, which of course, he was.

I don't think I've met anyone to this day that was as clueless about cars as he was.
Lol, well it is high school.

What's real scary is that some people still believe a level of this into adulthood.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:07 PM

17,616 posts, read 22,378,504 times
Well all of these really fast "interceptors" usually end up as taxi cabs so it must be true because every Crown Vic cab is driven like it's NASCAR weekend!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:09 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,709,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'm sorry but a police radio isn't much good if they didn't get a license plate number on the car. Cars like the GT500, ZR1, GTR, SLR, and others can do 200MPH, they'll find an exit and be miles away before a police car can radio in assistance and get to those areas. On the interstate there are too many exits and too much ground to cover if you're dealing with a super fast car.

Our local fuzz just took delivery of two brand new Bell 429 helicopters ($5 mil a pop). Beautiful twin jet machines that cruise at 172 mph. Loaded with goodies like thermal imaging....good luck to ya if one of those things locks onto your hot car!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 PM

17,616 posts, read 22,378,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Our local fuzz just took delivery of two brand new Bell 429 helicopters ($5 mil a pop). Beautiful twin jet machines that cruise at 172 mph. Loaded with goodies like thermal imaging....good luck to ya if one of those things locks onto your hot car!
Easy.......just drive into an airport parking garage (they can't fly over)!

Nice choppers though!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:33 PM

457 posts, read 696,276 times
After tracking my motorcycle for years I baby and put around in my car regardless of how powerful it is. It's not going to be anywhere near as fast or fun as my old 600cc 130hp 416lb motorcycle was.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:02 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,646,357 times
Quote:
True. The Caprice did have the LT1, same as the Corvette and Camaro/Trans Am of those years. However the Caprice was still a 3,800 lb car compared with the 3,400 lb camaro or 3,200 lb corvette. I know they are still popular cars today for ghetto bangers to roll around in, they often brag it has a "corvette" engine in it, and while they are correct it shares the same engine as that distant year's corvette, that's all it shared. Everything that makes a Corvette fast and nimble is still missing in a Caprice.

LT1's were good for about 275HP if I remember correctly, which is still more HP than the latest Crown Victorias.
They did have LT1's but they had iron heads instead of aluminum. They were rated at 250hp.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:25 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,527,305 times
Quote:
That's what I figured. LS1's are good for mid to low 13's. Mine ran a 13.5 on regular street tires with just an exhaust, my first time out to the track. I've run a few R/T's on the highway, end result is always the same, their huge weight holds them back.

Even with stronger suspension or a "higher output engine" these cars are not that much faster than their standard model counterparts. We're talking maybe a 20-30HP difference with some improved cornering, nothing drastic, and nothing that will make these cars able to run down sports cars/muscle cars. I just need to break it down to these people in simpleton terms I suppose, or just let them live in the fantasy world where they think their cars are really fast. But fast is a subjective term, and it's not easy or even practical to argue semantics.
They are slower, in fact. All that cop gear ends up making a PI slower than the civvy version. I haven't seen any cop cars get HO versions of any engines around here. In fact, lots of the local cruisers are Chargers with the 3.6 under the hood. Which leads to the next point...

Quote:
I'm sorry but a police radio isn't much good if they didn't get a license plate number on the car. Cars like the GT500, ZR1, GTR, SLR, and others can do 200MPH, they'll find an exit and be miles away before a police car can radio in assistance and get to those areas. On the interstate there are too many exits and too much ground to cover if you're dealing with a super fast car.
One thing that will help is those nifty automatic license plate readers they have out now that can read plates for quite some distance around and pick you off quite quickly if you have a warrant out and whatnot. Obviously, cruisers get them and some corners at street lights have them. Short of having false info tied to that cars tags, they're getting nabbed eventually. The cruiser sitting in the median isn't necessarily popping out the radar gun.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:08 AM

7,010 posts, read 12,027,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
They did have LT1's but they had iron heads instead of aluminum. They were rated at 250hp.
All LT1's were iron. The LS1 was aluminum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive