Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 42,690 times

Advertisements

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima. The instrument panel brake light stays on while driving. Once I stop at a light or stop sign, the light goes off for about 3-5 seconds and then illuminates again. Checked brake fluid and it's full. Any ideas on what else to check?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:39 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
1. Brake pedal sensor. It should be up higher on the brake pedal or on firewall inside, against the pedal
2. Possibly simple short somewhere in the system. Or bad light bulb. Is there any chance, this is how your vehicle tells you one of the brake light bulbs is bad?
3. Google all mighty
Brake light on dash coming on?! - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
The only inputs for the red BRAKE light on the altima are the low fluid sensor in the brake fluid reseviour, or the E-brake.

Assuming the e-brake is disengaged, check the fluid level again. EVen though it may be full, some cars need a little extra to keep the light off.

Keep in mind, brake fluid levels drop only due to a leak, or pad wear. In a perfect world, as all 4 pads wear, the brake fluid level will drop and activate the light at some point before the pads are totally worn out. It rarely happens though. To make a long story short, if your brake fluid level was low before you topped off...check your pads as they may be wearing the end of their life. Cheaper to replace before they start scoring the rotors

Old 12-30-2013, 07:51 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
My '06 Altima's check engine light stays on because the fuel cover is not totally as closed as possible. If I turn it that far to close it, I can't get it open.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:53 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Replace the cap with a new one. The current one is leaking unless you overtighten

Old 12-30-2013, 08:49 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
I turn it once, which causes the light to stay on, but, if I turn it twice (hearing 2 clicks) the light doesn't come on. I think if I replace the current lid and only turn it once, the light will still come on.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:12 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
I have a 2008 Nissan Altima. The instrument panel brake light stays on while driving. Once I stop at a light or stop sign, the light goes off for about 3-5 seconds and then illuminates again. Checked brake fluid and it's full. Any ideas on what else to check?
Take it to Nissan. There is a campaign for a brake master cylinder issue, symptom, brake warning light on.
ntb12-011c

Quote:
NTB12-011c March 7, 2013
VOLUNTARY SERVICE CAMPAIGN 2007-2012 ALTIMA SEDAN & COUPE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER
CAMPAIGN ID #: PC125 APPLIED VEHICLES: 2007 – 2012 Altima Sedan & Coupe (L32 & CL32)
»T« his Voluntary Service Campaign DOES NOT APPLY to Altima Hybrid (L32H) vehicles
Refer to the flow chart (Repair Overview) on the next page for campaign eligibility.
INTRODUCTION
Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign on Model Year 2007-2012 Nissan Altima (L32) Sedan and Coupe vehicles to inspect the brake system in vehicles with an illuminated brake warning lamp. Nissan dealers will inspect the brake system and confirm that no brake fluid leak is present. If no leak is present, the reservoir will be topped off. If a leak in the brake master cylinder is identified, the brake master cylinder will be replaced.
The affected vehicles are equipped with a brake warning lamp that will illuminate to alert the driver when fluid in the brake fluid reservoir is low. Fluid in the reservoir may become low due to normal brake pad wear and not because of any brake system malfunction. While in most instances an illuminated brake warning lamp is due to normal brake pad wear, a small percentage of vehicles affected by this campaign may have a slow brake fluid leak at the brake master cylinder.
IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
Nissan has assigned identification number PC125 to this campaign. This number must appear on all communications and documentation of any nature dealing with this campaign.
DEALER RESPONSIBILITY
This action is only required if the brake warning lamp is currently illuminated, or the customer states it was recently illuminated while driving. In addition, this campaign is intended to promote customer satisfaction. This inspection may also be performed based on customer request, regardless of the warning lamp illumination.
Nissan Bulletins are intended for use by qualified technicians, not 'do-it-yourselfers'. Qualified technicians are properly trained individuals who have the equipment, tools, safety instruction, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. NOTE: If you believe that a described condition may apply to a particular vehicle, DO NOT assume that it does. See your Nissan dealer to determine if this applies to your vehicle.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Good job, Narf!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti