Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:23 PM

129 posts, read 519,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Well, he went and financed a 2010 Hyundai Sonata today for a total price of thirteen thousand and something with monthly payments of $217. He has gap insurance, but no other warranties if anything goes wrong. Hopefully this is a good car that will last.

However, by the time he got home it was dark and his sister went to check it out, she shined a light into it and found a ****load of roaches crawling around in it, so he bug bombed it and is hoping for the best tomorrow. I hope it's the only thing that's wrong with it.

One of 2 possibilities:

1:Flood damage car, hell on every system. What about minor flood damage?? Same thing, sounds like Colorado....
2:Repo car or impound lot buy-back, see point #1 (after comma). Be prepared for finding out that no maintenance has been done, even if it has and flood damage = disaster. See point #1 after comma. Most likely filled with trash by previous owner, or they were dirty butts, wait till summer comes around.

Again, financing does not = quality.

Hope you did not sign for anything.

A $2k car would have roaches too................ In the ashtray.

Your call as to which is easier to deal with..... Sorry

Last edited by orrecc; 10-22-2013 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: Oh Lawd...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 PM

96 posts, read 206,976 times
He got the car from Carmax, the dealer said they don't sell cars with any flood damage before he bought it, and that it was previously used as a rental. I didn't sign anything, the only names on that loan are his and his father's. I guess they plan on calling the dealer tomorrow and telling her about the roaches, I'm not sure if they'll do anything about them though. There's a 30 day warranty on the car, maybe they can have the dealership clean it or switch the car out, I have no idea. My boyfriend thinks either the previous owners were slobs or the roaches somehow made it in there if the car sat on the lot for a couple of months. I have no idea. I just hope this can be solved easily without any bigger issues showing up.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:16 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,547,181 times
What?

Please tell me there's just a bunch of roaches in the ashtray. (edit...aww....someone already made a doobie joke?)

You know them suckers are going to make their way into your house/apt, right?

Get rid of it. Don't have them clean it. Trade it up, or ditch the place all together.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 10-23-2013 at 02:55 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 02:38 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,248,420 times
When my son got his licence we got a "beater' from craig's list . It was an older pickup. We choose this because as a new driver we wanted something solid around him. We have a local mechanic working for himself and because of him this worked out well. Three years later this "beater" is still running every day. I definately would have a decent mechanic check a vehicle before buying it.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:49 AM

60 posts, read 290,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
He got the car from Carmax, the dealer said they don't sell cars with any flood damage before he bought it, and that it was previously used as a rental. I didn't sign anything, the only names on that loan are his and his father's. I guess they plan on calling the dealer tomorrow and telling her about the roaches, I'm not sure if they'll do anything about them though. There's a 30 day warranty on the car, maybe they can have the dealership clean it or switch the car out, I have no idea. My boyfriend thinks either the previous owners were slobs or the roaches somehow made it in there if the car sat on the lot for a couple of months. I have no idea. I just hope this can be solved easily without any bigger issues showing up.
How does CarMax not see this with all the thorough reconditioning and inspecting that they (supposedly) do? They definitely need to do something! A roach issue in a car? I didn't know that was possible. My mother bought her car from CarMax and while it was overpriced, they did work with her to fix any issues. Even after the 30 days.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 AM

7,031 posts, read 14,587,709 times
Buy a Honda beater.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:46 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,843,957 times
OMG I would ditch it, gross. Get a beater and be debt free. Thirteen grand sounds a bit high.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:07 PM

486 posts, read 837,435 times
https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/h...-pricing/2013/

Maybe it's a higher trim but a new 2013 Sonota is only $18K

Old 10-23-2013, 07:01 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,704,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Buy a older Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla and your set
Worst advice ever, not because they're inherently bad cars--they're not--but because as used cars they're overpriced for what you get, ANY car can last 200,000 miles, (it's not 1985--200,000 miles isn't just for Hondas and Toyotas anymore) and ANY older car is only as reliable as the care its received throughout its life.

In fact, I find that older Hondas often run great, but can have frustrating intermittent issues that can be tough to sort out yourself and require a mechanic who is familiar with their quirks.

And older Toyotas? Well, I think they have good drivetrains, and everything else about them is average, except handling, which is among the worst (talking Camry and Corolla here). Don't touch a Toyota with any visible rust, either. The invisible rust will be 5 times worse.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:02 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,704,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Buy a Honda beater.
See above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive