Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:55 PM

845 posts, read 1,348,842 times

Advertisements

This is my second time trying to take care of my care by myself. Last time it was an oil change, where I jacked-up the oil pan bolt but wasn't able to get that and the oil filter off. Even then I find out it's exactly the same price as taking it to a oil change shop. However, I will need to dispose of the oil somehow.

This time I want to replace my spark plugs and again I hit another snag. I'm told that if I remove the boots from the spark plug, I could wreck the boot. I already bought the spark plugs and the socket, about $60. Now I may need to get the boots/wires.

I guess I'm looking for encouragement, if anything. I'd really like to do these things on my own but I keep hitting walls and get discouraged. I then taking my car to a shop and then realize that the price for buying plugs and boots is about the same, maybe a little more, if I do take it to a shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 04:10 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,041,501 times
First of all, give us a heads-up about the make, model, and year of the car - along with what engine.

Depending on the car, changing spark plugs can either be a 10 minute lark, or an all-day nightmare.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:12 PM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,077 times
How would pulling the boot wreck it? How else are you supposed to get to the plugs?

Old 07-13-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
How would pulling the boot wreck it? How else are you supposed to get to the plugs?
Well... If you do it wrong, you'll pull the wire out of the boot - which is a pretty common problem.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:30 PM

OK, this is a '02 pontiac Aztec. V6 FWD engine.

I've watched the tutorials and videos that are all on-line. Most newer models, at least the 4-cyl, have something on top of the spark plugs and all you have to do is unscrew them and unscrew the spark plug.

Mine has a rubber boot over each spark plug and most cases, they are welded right to the plug. While taking a pair of pliers and trying to pry the boot off could work, the potential of wrecking the boot itself is also there.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post

I've watched the tutorials and videos that are all on-line. Most newer models, at least the 4-cyl, have something on top of the spark plugs and all you have to do is unscrew them and unscrew the spark plug.

Mine has a rubber boot over each spark plug and most cases, they are welded right to the plug. While taking a pair of pliers and trying to pry the boot off could work, the potential of wrecking the boot itself is also there.
That's going to be one of the tougher engines to changes plugs on. The main problem being that 3 of the plugs are on the backside of the engine, and there's VERY little room between the engine and firewall.

Are you up for a serious challenge?

Old 07-13-2013, 04:51 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Grab the boot firmly, and twist. Should come off easily. Purchase a little bit of dielectric grease and apply to the tip of each spark plug when you put the boots back on.

Honestly, you should change the wires as well especially of they are original and have high miles. The resistance value can change, insulation breaks down, and the wires arc causing misfires.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:53 PM

Ugh, I thought I saw the other three under the car, close the to the oil filter. If that's the case then I should just take it to a shop.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:56 PM

19,020 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post

Not welded. Simply snug because no one moved them in long time.
Don't do pliers. You will tear the boot. They are only stubborn, but with some wigglage will pop off.
What you also need is dielectric grease, anti-seize compound, and new wires. Wires usually last much shorter than plugs, around 30-35 000 miles. Modern GM cars have 100 000 miles plugs in them and of course, that's what you bought, right? Iridium tipped ones.
Yours do have metal shields on them or not? Atop of boots? Those are heat shields and can be removed before you remove wire with plug boot.
Anyhow. Start in the front. Grasp boot snug with both hands fingers, spin left right to break loose, and pop it off. It may happen with quite an impact, so be prepared.
Boxes you described, sitting atop of plugs, are solid state ignition packs. You have ignition packs with wires running towards plugs. So you disconnect wire from both and replace.
My 5.3L Vortec has all wires same length. If yours are different, make sure to replace them one at a time, matching length of each.
Before you reinstall plugs back in, apply a dab of anti seize to threads. Not too much, just a narrow smear across one side.
Before you reinstall wires, pack dab of dielectric grease into both plug and ignition pack ends of each wire, as in - with a screwdriver. This will prevent oxidation and assure long lasting electrical contact.
As of the rear of the engine plugs - tough. Costs $547 dealership to do them on my wife's RX300, but takes me only 40 minutes and scraped knuckles to DIY them. Swivel socket adapter comes very handy.
You should buy repair manual and use it as a guide. Or, sign up with Alldata online. $5 a year for 5 year subscription.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:01 PM

19,020 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Tough s...t man. May exceed your level:

Unfortunately, we don't have a manual for your Aztec. Basically, though, what it involves is the same procedure as described in our Pontiac Trans Sport manual. You have to rotate the engine forward by using a ratcheting strap connected to the radiator support and the engine lifting eye, then unbolt the torque struts and tighten the strap to pull (rotate) the engine forward, which should give you enough room to access the rear bank spark plugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive