Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times

Advertisements

Been reading some of the speed related threads lately and I don't understand the need for speed on the highway.
Driving 100-140 mph on the highway is dangerous and actually pretty boring.

If anybody really wants to speed there are plenty of opportunities to take your every day sedan or sports coupe on a real racetrack and drive as fast as you like without the chance of ever getting a ticket.

I know there are lots of poster here who open track, which is not racing but it is driving your car as fast as you like. Those people will confirm what real high speed driving is like without endangering yourself or others on the highway.

I have many thousands of hours of high speed track driving so when I am driving on the highway there is no need for speed.

It is not cheap to open track, usually 150-300 a day but you will get about 4 hrs of actual track time and not have to worry about a ticket.

It is dangerous because of the high speeds but you never have to worry about oncoming traffic, cars pulling out of side streets and the guy in the left lane driving too slow.

There are tracks all over the country but I am only familiar with East coast tracks

These are some of the places in the East where you can sign up to open track.

Watkins Glen racetrack, Watkins Glen NY
Monticello raceway, Monticello, NY
New Hampshire motor speedway, Concord, NH
Lime Rock Park, CT
NJ Motorsports park in Millville, NJ
Pocono Raceway in PA
Summit point raceway in WVA
Virginia International raceway in Danville, Va
Carolina Motorsports park in Kershaw, SC
Road Atlanta in Brazelton GA

Here are some of the schools,
PDA Driving School
NASA :: South East Region
Getting On Track | VIRginia International Raceway
High Performance Driving School -- VIRginia Internation Raceway

Instead of coming on the internet and bragging about driving at 150 MPH for two minutes on the highway, come here and brag about cornering at 80 MPH on a real race track all day long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 07:02 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Been reading some of the speed related threads lately and I don't understand the need for speed on the highway.
Driving 100-140 mph on the highway is dangerous and actually pretty boring.

If anybody really wants to speed there are plenty of opportunities to take your every day sedan or sports coupe on a real racetrack and drive as fast as you like without the chance of ever getting a ticket.

I know there are lots of poster here who open track, which is not racing but it is driving your car as fast as you like. Those people will confirm what real high speed driving is like without endangering yourself or others on the highway.

I have many thousands of hours of high speed track driving so when I am driving on the highway there is no need for speed.

It is not cheap to open track, usually 150-300 a day but you will get about 4 hrs of actual track time and not have to worry about a ticket.

It is dangerous because of the high speeds but you never have to worry about oncoming traffic, cars pulling out of side streets and the guy in the left lane driving too slow.

There are tracks all over the country but I am only familiar with East coast tracks

These are some of the places in the East where you can sign up to open track.

Watkins Glen racetrack, Watkins Glen NY
Monticello raceway, Monticello, NY
New Hampshire motor speedway, Concord, NH
Lime Rock Park, CT
NJ Motorsports park in Millville, NJ
Pocono Raceway in PA
Summit point raceway in WVA
Virginia International raceway in Danville, Va
Carolina Motorsports park in Kershaw, SC
Road Atlanta in Brazelton GA

Here are some of the schools,
PDA Driving School
NASA :: South East Region
Getting On Track | VIRginia International Raceway
High Performance Driving School -- VIRginia Internation Raceway

Instead of coming on the internet and bragging about driving at 150 MPH for two minutes on the highway, come here and brag about cornering at 80 MPH on a real race track all day long.
BBBut...but...that would require turning the steering wheel. That would rule out many of the posters here.

I've driven CMP and VIR. It is a lot of fun.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:07 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
What if you only had to make left turns?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Hi PDD--

Because I admit I'm hopping up the engine, but have done nothing to the suspension or the brakes (yet). I can go fast in a straight line, but the first corner I take at 100+ I'm going to understeer into a tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive