Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 10:44 AM

494 posts, read 1,918,290 times

Advertisements

On average, how long do shocks, struts and leaf springs last? miles/age? Also, is there a way to test if they need replacing? What are the signs that they may be up for replacement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 11:00 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,482,388 times
Shocks/Struts life can very by a lot. Id say average lifespan is 60-100k miles.

A leaking one is a bad one.

The bounce test is another indicator. After a bump, you really should have a bounce or 2 after. Pressing down and releasing the bumper to check the bounce works too.

Since they loose their dampening abilities over time, we usually dont notice when they are warn out until they are very warn out. Poor handling is an indicator.

Leaf springs usually last many many years. They may start to sag a little over the years. They can break though, which means its needs replacement asap.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:16 AM

152 posts, read 584,205 times
On average it depends on the vehicle, the driver, and road conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
On average, how long do shocks, struts and leaf springs last? miles/age? Also, is there a way to test if they need replacing? What are the signs that they may be up for replacement?

Old 05-02-2013, 01:55 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,199,678 times
The bounce test is nearly worthless. Very few vehicles, even with very worn shock absorbers, will bounce noticeably under the weight of a normal adult. There is just too much friction in the bushings (etc.) to really see how the shocks are working.

Drive on a road with both ripples in the pavement and big dips. The vehicle shouldn't bounce more than one cycle or two on the big dips. Shouldn't hear and rattling or loose sounds on the ripples. Of course any signs of leakage on a shock is a sure sign of a worn shock.

Springs can last a long time. When they wear the vehicle will both sit lower and cause the vehicle to bottom on bumps (but also affected by the shocks).

Other parts like rubber bushings just wear out with age and get "loose." You can hear clunking noises, or the car can wander around on the road - just feels sloppy.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:17 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,324,817 times
My sister-in-law took her car with 43,000 miles on it to the dealer for routine maintenance and he said that she needed all new shocks and struts at her expense. She took it to another dealer and he inspected her suspension, shocks and struts and told her that everything looked good. Professionals have trouble telling if they have gone bad.

I just use the leaking indication to tell me when they need replacing or when they start making noise. I have 2 vehicles with more then 200,000 on them with original shocks. they handle very well and are not showing any unusual wear on the tires.

I did replace all of the original neoprene bushings on my Bronco with new polyurethane bushings. With the old bushings the truck would wander going down the road. The new polyurethane bushings corrected all that.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:19 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,910,534 times
My Chevy 1500 has 214K on the original suspension. Hasn't been used for a lot of heavy work and has only towed one trailer. Uneven tire wear, though.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:44 PM

165 posts, read 897,806 times
What are the dangers of not replacing shocks/struts when they should be replaced, besides poorer handling/uneven tire wear?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:54 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,114,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
As others have said, it depends on the vehicle. Typically though, sporty vehicles with stiff springs will have their shocks last longer, because the springs are supporting more of the weight of the vehicle. The bounce test works great on SUVs that have a lot of suspension travel, not as accurate with most cars, and it's pretty worthless with a sports car because they have stiff springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cignalife View Post
What are the dangers of not replacing shocks/struts when they should be replaced, besides poorer handling/uneven tire wear?
It could possibly lead to loss of control, especially in wet pavement. Shocks/struts help keep your wheels in contact with the road, instead of them just bouncing over things. They also help keep the rest of your front end from having premature wear, like the wheel bearings. Best way to ruin a good set of wheel bearings is to drive on blown out shocks. All the extra bouncing will ruin them much more quickly than normal.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
I had an '85 Corolla that wore struts out like crazy, I had them replaced at a chain that advertised guaranteed for the life of the car, and every year they cheerfully replaced them. They went out in a trip to Panama, and I couldn't get them fixed in Nicaragua because of currency hassles at that time so I drove from there to Guatemala, with the wheels leaping off the road on every bump, of which there were plenty. It felt like the axles were welded right to the frame. But as long as I was careful, it was no problem and did no further damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive