Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:28 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to get an older car and not have to put 10k into it?

I've always liked older cars. Not sure why...I'm not old by any means (23). Some of these new cars just look like junk.

My 2001 mustang with over 180k miles won't last forever and have been thinking of what to get after. I'm frugal and can't see spending tens of thousands on a car.

I've been looking at some late 90's BMW's. There seem to be some good deals out there. Less than 100k miles or a little over for a couple of grand. 5k tops.

My dad is a mechanic and can come with me at some point if and when I ever get one.

Any reason not to get what I want. Even if it is almost 15 years old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
Yes and no.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Eh, I bought a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo in 2002 and spent maybe $500 on it in the next few years (maintenance-wise) before selling it for $8500.

Buy the right car and it's a non-issue... while your dad will be a good start for inspecting the car, find someone who specializes in whatever you decide on for a through pre-purchase inspection. Worth every penny.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
In general, the newer the model the more up to date safety equipment is installed. Ten year old cars probably don't have side airbags for example.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
The only thing about 10 yr old cars that bugs me, (besides those that have obvious issues) is they have PLASTIC which will eventually get brittle and break.

I would definitely get the car you prefer, no matter the age (I drive a 30_ yr old car DAILY) I also have a few 15 yr old cars that I use to haul people around in that feel more comfortable with airbags.

Most of my favorites are FAR older than 20 yrs, and VERY dependable / no extra hassle for Maint or reliability. (in fact, they are often more reliable than most of my friends NEWER cars. I DON"T have to worry about Warranty issues

there are some really sweet older Beemers. My son was looking to get an older awd BEFORE he opted for his Volvo 6spd AWD. That is NOT a cheap car to keep running. He has spent more in repairs than I have EVER spent on a CAR!

I vote... get what is right for you, and don't be afraid of age or mileage. (within reason). My daily driver has well over 300k, and will last me for my final 40 yrs on the road. I spend about $200/yr on maint, including synthetic oil change 1/ yr.

But YES safety is a legitimate concern. Be SAFE (I'm an ex-motorcycle racer and I'm insured, so .... I'm safe 'enuff' for me) YMMV

Good luck, be smart, and keep asking questions.
AND if you are young and adventerous and live in the 'rust-belt' (OH?) you can get a lifetime of 'used' cars CHEAP as close as Dallas! I use San Antonio, Dallas and Austin + NM and So CA to find most of mine. I buy online and fly in ($89) an drive them home. Several friends make decent income / and trade up cars doing this... Buying NON-RUST and selling in the rust belt.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-10-2013 at 08:14 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 08:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The kinds of things that go out from age rather than miles are often minor in cost, but they add up. In some cases, at 10 years old an low miles you will have seal issues causing leaks that can lead to expensive damage if fluids are not checked more often. Otherwise, it's things like shocks, heater core, seat and window mechanisms, ball joints, exhaust systems (including catalytic converter), seat belts, power steering, AC, body rust. If you are lucky and it was well maintained, you could get another 10 years out of it, but there's risk to it.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:23 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
If you can fix most things yourself or learn to do so, an old car can be quite affordable.

A wrecking yard has tons of parts for very low cost. The only thing is to get a car that a lot were sold or that the same parts were used for several years. Then plenty of parts available.

If a car was not made for very many years and not very many of them were sold, then few parts will be available anywhere.

But something like the early 90's Chevy pickups. Same parts for Blazer, GMC pick-ups, Suburbans, and for many different years. Tons of those vehicles were sold.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times
I love 90's BMWs. They CAN be great cars, if you know how to work on them. BMW's straight 6 engines are essentially bullet-proof. The cooling system is their greatest weak-point, though. When / if you get one, go through the whole engine. Make sure it runs well, gaskets aren't leaking, etc. Then, buy a couple extra water pumps. They WILL fail.

The late 90's / early 2000's generation 5-series (known as the E39) are great, but they have a few weird electrical quirks. Have a wiring diagram handy. One of my friend's dad's had one with the automatic -- it started shifting REALLY rough (to the point of being un-driveable). The quick fix? Open the passenger vanity mirror, and make the light come on. For whatever reason, that "fixed" whatever sensor was throwing the transmission out of whack.

The E36 3-series (mid 90's) is also quite good -- the same friend as above has about 4 of them at his house (mostly M3's). You can get them for dirt cheap, and they're really easy to work on.

Only real gripe is that some parts can be expensive, and labor will KILL you if you try and take it to a shop.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
You could buy a 10 year old Corolla sport model with low milage on it for around 4K or less. I have had three of them and I did NO WORK on them till 200,000 miles at which time I sold them for around 2K.

I have had a couple of Beemers and they are not a car I would recommend for a young guy who does not want to spend a lot of money on upkeep. It's not that BMWs break down a lot but they do and it's very costly to fix them. I needed a rad for my 535, could not find one in the wreckers and it cost me over $1000 for a rad. A factory muffler for that car was $1500. I drove mine over 200,000 miles and never had to replace the muffler but if you do..........

All of my used cars have been standard shifts for a long while, even the 535. They never wear out, are fun to drive and the modern day auto transmissions are the junking of many a good car when they break and they DO break.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Is it possible to get an older car and not have to put 10k into it?

I've always liked older cars. Not sure why...I'm not old by any means (23). Some of these new cars just look like junk.

My 2001 mustang with over 180k miles won't last forever and have been thinking of what to get after. I'm frugal and can't see spending tens of thousands on a car.

I've been looking at some late 90's BMW's. There seem to be some good deals out there. Less than 100k miles or a little over for a couple of grand. 5k tops.

My dad is a mechanic and can come with me at some point if and when I ever get one.

Any reason not to get what I want. Even if it is almost 15 years old?
Not one darn thing wrong with older cars if they have been reasonably cared for. I drive a 20 year old Suburban and an 17 year old Chevy truck. Both perform, and look, like new. Not to mention the money I've save on insurance etc.. by owning older cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive