Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 01:19 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgshouston View Post
I told them after all this im not giving them my down payment until i pick up the truck as originally discussed. So they have no money of mine
Good!! Used car salesmen can be slimey little b@st@rds. I'd threaten to take my business else where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 01:43 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,049,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgshouston View Post
They told me i could give them the deposit when i pick up the truck. I actually went and demanded a copy of the contract on wednesday and they ask for the deposit, I told them after all this im not giving them my down payment until i pick up the truck as originally discussed. So they have no money of mine
WALK.

No wait... RUN.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:47 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,255,219 times
They will not give it to you yet, becuase you havnt bought it, because they havnt bought it. Situations like this are terrible, the car should not even be on the lot unless they have the title are are able to sell. The car should still be in a back lot.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:01 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,199,057 times
For whatever real reasons, as opposed to the excuses you are hearing from the sales department, the truck at the dealership is not available for resale at this time.

Having a clear title to the used vehicle is not a requirement for them to offer it for sale, but something is obviously holding up their confidence that their trade-in is theirs. It was a mistake on their part to offer it for sale before they knew that they could do so. At least you didn't give them a deposit which could now turn into a real fight to get your money back from them; they don't sound like a competent dealership operation to me. If you had expected the F&I department to take care of your loan app, it appears that they didn't follow through .... which is now to your benefit to unwind the deal.

At this point, your best option is to walk away from the deal without spending any further time, effort, energy, or money on it.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:59 PM

11,349 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Man I'm confused. So I'm going out for dinner with the Mrs.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
The timing of this thread is funny (not really)- I just 'bought' a truck, more than two weeks ago at Varney GMC in Bangor, ME. It was a trade-in (trading up to a new one). I paid cash, in full, plus title fees and sales tax, plus paid for insurance and excise tax...but I still don't have the truck.

After I paid for the truck and signed all of the papers, I was informed that they did not have the title in hand ('somehow', that little detail had been 'overlooked'). I was told that the previous owner had to get it from home and bring it in. The next day, I was told that the owner had the title in a safety deposit box at the bank, and he had to get it and bring it in. The day after that, I was told that the owner *didn't* have the title in his safety deposit box at the bank, and that he was going to 'turn his house upside-down' to find the title and bring it in.

Which story is true? Any? None?

Next, I was told that the [previous] owner couldn't find the title at all, so they (the dealer) was going to file a 'lost title' application (with the extra fee for an expedited search) at 'their expense' (yeah, no sh*t, Sherlock, like they were doing *me* a favor?). I took it upon myself to go to the BMV (RMV, DMV, Registry...whatever you want to call it) to obtain the information which would allow them to get the information they needed (really, just needed the previous title number to go on the new application, which the woman at the BMV could see but cannot, by stupid law, give to *me*) in one day rather than the '7-10 business days' for an 'expedited' title search, which I promptly relayed to the dealer (like, they wouldn't already know this?).

Yet, here I sit, more than two weeks later...they have my money, I still have no truck.

I feel for ya, buddy. You aren't alone in the 'screwed by dealer' waiting area.

(And, the worst part is, I paid a 'Document Fee'...for what? The five minutes it took for the clerk to type up the info on the docs I signed? It sure as heck didn't get me what I needed! AS far as I can tell, the 'Doc Fee' is just another way to pad their profits and snatch a little more money out of the consumers' pockets.)

Old 04-05-2013, 05:20 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Zymer: Without delivery of vehicle upon payment in full, your contract is null and void and you should already have your money back from the dealer. There is NO WAY I would allow them to keep my money for more than two weeks without having my paid in cash vehicle in my driveway.

I just purchased a 2004 Suburban several months ago from a used dealer and all I had to do was wait for the Secretary of State to transfer the title and mail it to me and I walked out of the dealer's office with the keys in my hand and drove my vehicle home.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:54 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,757,752 times
The OP made me shake my head, but there are several "reasons" that it would be taking that long. (Yay that the OP didn't hand over any money or take out a loan that would be charging him interest already ).

Zymer's story amazed me. I cannot wrap my brain around the senario that happened that day. The dealer should have given you your money back the instant that they realized the title wasn't available immediately. I would suggest paying an attorney a minimal fee to write a nice little letter for you that states 'give me the title NOW or every penny of my money back, plus the fee I paid the attorney, plus x-number of dollars for the hassle and inconvenience you've caused me'. They have to be in some sort of breach of contract with you.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:48 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,199,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
The timing of this thread is funny (not really)- I just 'bought' a truck, more than two weeks ago at Varney GMC in Bangor, ME. It was a trade-in (trading up to a new one). I paid cash, in full, plus title fees and sales tax, plus paid for insurance and excise tax...but I still don't have the truck.

After I paid for the truck and signed all of the papers, I was informed that they did not have the title in hand ('somehow', that little detail had been 'overlooked'). I was told that the previous owner had to get it from home and bring it in. The next day, I was told that the owner had the title in a safety deposit box at the bank, and he had to get it and bring it in. The day after that, I was told that the owner *didn't* have the title in his safety deposit box at the bank, and that he was going to 'turn his house upside-down' to find the title and bring it in.

Which story is true? Any? None?

Next, I was told that the [previous] owner couldn't find the title at all, so they (the dealer) was going to file a 'lost title' application (with the extra fee for an expedited search) at 'their expense' (yeah, no sh*t, Sherlock, like they were doing *me* a favor?). I took it upon myself to go to the BMV (RMV, DMV, Registry...whatever you want to call it) to obtain the information which would allow them to get the information they needed (really, just needed the previous title number to go on the new application, which the woman at the BMV could see but cannot, by stupid law, give to *me*) in one day rather than the '7-10 business days' for an 'expedited' title search, which I promptly relayed to the dealer (like, they wouldn't already know this?).

Yet, here I sit, more than two weeks later...they have my money, I still have no truck.

I feel for ya, buddy. You aren't alone in the 'screwed by dealer' waiting area.

(And, the worst part is, I paid a 'Document Fee'...for what? The five minutes it took for the clerk to type up the info on the docs I signed? It sure as heck didn't get me what I needed! AS far as I can tell, the 'Doc Fee' is just another way to pad their profits and snatch a little more money out of the consumers' pockets.)
Doesn't matter what any of the excuses are, you need to either receive delivery & possession of your paid-for vehicle immediately or a full refund of your purchase in the same good funds that you gave to the dealership.

Before spending any money with an attorney, if you cannot get the vehicle, you need to call your Motor Vehicle Dealer licensing board immediately. They will be very interested in knowing that a licensed dealer has accepted funds but refuses to deliver a vehicle to you. The important detail here is that not only will your purchase problems get gov't attention, but the regulatory agency will also be able to document the performance of the dealership; that may go a bit toward saving other folk the problem that you've encountered.

No way would I have paid in full for a vehicle that we hadn't verified was available and ready for delivery.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Nothing can happen until there is a clear title. And I'd check the title to see that it's not a 'salvaged' title before I put any money into this transaction..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive