Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 33,060 times

Advertisements

I have a Pontiac Gran Prix, 2007 model with 98,000 miles. I pulled into my driveway and turned it off. Came out a few moments later and when you turn the key everything comes on as usual but there is no start. It doesn't even try to start. Battery is good (new) and have not had any indications of problems. Anyone ever have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:37 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
I have a Pontiac Gran Prix, 2007 model with 98,000 miles. I pulled into my driveway and turned it off. Came out a few moments later and when you turn the key everything comes on as usual but there is no start. It doesn't even try to start. Battery is good (new) and have not had any indications of problems. Anyone ever have this problem?

Try moving the shifter around, and try and start it in different spots(car won't start if not in park or neutral, possible the shifter switch is out of whack)

Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Before you start checking electrical circuits be sure the car is shifted into the start position. There is a safety switch(neutal start switch) on all cars that will not let the engine engage the starter if the car is in the wrong gear..sometimes this switch can malfunction MustangEater is correct

Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times
Then afterall that^ if it still doesn't start check the fuse then rap on the starter with a hammer or wrench, then give it a try.

It's called a technical tap.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Then afterall that^ if it still doesn't start check the fuse then rap on the starter with a hammer or wrench, then give it a try.

It's called a technical tap.
We sometimes call it an "acoustical adjustment"

Old 03-24-2013, 04:34 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
GM is notorious for having the coilpacks go bad in older.cars. have a friend help and one of you lean in the backseat and listen for the quiet whirr of the fuel pump by cyclining the key but not starting it.

Fuel pumps and coilpacks die more than nuetral safty switches do. Check battery and alternator too, but I'll bet its those damn coilpacks.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:42 PM

12 posts, read 58,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
Many things can cause it.

So, you put the key in the ignition and the engine cranks but won't fire, what can you do?

First, get a can of starting fluid. Spray directly into the intake downstream of the air filter (IT IS VERY FLAMMABLE SO NO SMOKING AND STAND BACK SO A STRAY SPARK DOESN'T SET YOU ON FIRE)

More is NOT better. Just a quick shot with someone cranking. IF the engine hiccups and attempts to start you have a fuel delivery problem. Can be pump, relay, fuel filter, etc. If engine cranks but doesn't attempt to fire, you are not getting spark.

Now everyone can tell you about the plugs, wires, coils, ignition module, BUT a failed crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor WILL CAUSE A NO START CONDITION.

SECOND SCENARIO

Engine not cranking at all. You turn the key and get a click or nothing. This can be a bad battery, a bad alternator that caused the battery to die, bad starter, bad solenoid, bad starter relay, bad ignition switch, etc.

So if your battery is dead, don't assume it is bad (it most likely is, BUT, an alternator that is bad can cause the car to run on the battery until the battery dies.)

DON'T tell someone the battery isn't dead because your radio, lights, etc are working. The starter is the biggest draw on the electrical system and even if everything else works fine, there can still not be enough power to turn the engine over.

However, "tapping" on the starter with a hammer? Not a good idea. If you "tap" too hard, you can damage the windings in the starter and even it if wasn't the cause you could make it fail. Be gentle.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times
Starting fluid in the right hands destroys engines, burns faces, hands and vehicles to the ground.
It's a bad idea.

fuel, compression, spark=bang

IF it was electronic like a crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor he would have a CEL staring at him.
but seeing as the OP is not participating we are just speculating.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:22 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,667,161 times
Some GM cars have to have the security system replaced. Try turning the key to the on position for about ten minutes and them restarting . If it starts it is that security system. My '01 Impala did this for about a year before I got it fixed.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
GM is notorious for having the coilpacks go bad in older.cars. have a friend help and one of you lean in the backseat and listen for the quiet whirr of the fuel pump by cyclining the key but not starting it.

Fuel pumps and coilpacks die more than nuetral safty switches do. Check battery and alternator too, but I'll bet its those damn coilpacks.
Car would crank and not fire, if it was either of those.

Likely hood of all 3 coilpacks going bad is unlikely. You will get a flashing SES light for a misfire, pull the code and it will tell you which cyclinder is bad. Then you can swap coil packs and see if the fault follows and prove it was the coilpack. $35 and can be changed in the parking lot of the auto parts store.

If its a fuel pump, it will likely start, sputter, or just only idle choppy and cutout.

Both rarely just keep the car from starting and both have absolutely nothing to do with the starter cranking the motor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive