Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 PM

19 posts, read 68,026 times

Advertisements

I've always been interested in becoming a mechanic, but haven't even worked on a car. I was going to leave for WyoTech for Diesel Mechanic but decided it was way too expensive.

I'm now "Working" for free at my sisters boyfriends shop. Just curious, is it something that takes years? I'm a fast learner, and I'm always asking questions like what's that for? Or what do we do next?

He's building a new 3 stall garage soon, and wouldn't mind working for him, but obviously he's not going to pay someone who doesn't know what he's doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 01:01 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
You don't need WyoTech when your local community college program can do the same thing for much less.

You never stop learning, honestly. With all the new tech coming out and all the new diagnostic gear and updates needed (yeah, the stuff that shops pay for though customers complain about paying diagnostic fees for...), you'll be learning constantly.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM

799 posts, read 2,441,458 times
I second the community college recommendation. I live in Houston, which has schools all around. Our comm college has a pretty impressive training facility. I do have a close friend with an auto body shop, and his experience has taught him that cert.'s from expensive name brand schools dont guarantee a better tech.

But this is not a quick process. You will never stop learning. You will do oil changes and very basic repair forever, and slowly start helping out on tougher jobs. Its all on the job training plus a lot of classroom type training. Buy an ASE study manual, that should help.

Its just like being a doctor, specialize. I think diesel is the way to go. Whats funny is that people assume mechanics aren't studious, but good tech's probably end up spending more time in a claasroom than many professions.

Good luck!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Or, if you are under 25 check your nearest Job Corp for free tech degree if you meet their criteria.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
It really doesn't take long to so call "learn" it , what takes long is being able to be efficient at it. Doing it quick and doing it right. Also trouble shooting problems is key.
I turn the wrenches on my own vehicles but the few times I've had a friend that is a mechanic work with me, well lets just say he makes me look like I don't have a clue. Turning wrenchs and being a tech are MILES apart.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,097 times
I can appreciate auto repair. I love working on engines. But I would never make a career out of it. They go nowhere. My friends in the business always say they either wish they changed careers or already did it.

Just be sure you really want to turn a hobby into a career, because then it might not be such a fun hobby anymore.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
It would also depend on where you want to work. My son is a Master Tech for BMW. They only take the top tier from Automotive Schools and the pass them through THEIR Step Program. In his case, he attended UTI. It is a continuing education, as they send him back to school a few times a yr to learn the newest technologies. With BMW, he makes incredibly good $ and has all the health and ins, benefits. He has the opportunity to work with one of their racing crews, which he loves.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
I can appreciate auto repair. I love working on engines. But I would never make a career out of it. They go nowhere. My friends in the business always say they either wish they changed careers or already did it.

Just be sure you really want to turn a hobby into a career, because then it might not be such a fun hobby anymore.
So you're saying since your "going nowhere" friends couldn't hack it, nobody should try?

Wrong.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:27 PM

19 posts, read 68,026 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone. My plan was to do it for sometime, then try for ASE certification. I'm young yet, if I don't like doing it I could easily back down. But so far I do enjoy doing it, keeps me occupied, tests my patience, and keeps me dirty.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:53 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
It's a common profession to get burned out on though, so be aware of that. Most mechanics I know who love wrenching on cars in their 20's (they already do it at home on their own cars, might as well get paid doing it too) start to regret it when they get into their 30's and 40's (you do get tired of having busted knuckles and grease all over you) and their back starts aching every day when they lean over an engine bay to turn a wrench for 6-10 hours a day.

The guys who actually make it long term are the guys who start out as mechanics, then open their own shop, and then they can pick and choose which cars to work on themselves.

As far as how long it takes... You'll never stop learning, because cars keep changing. To some, that is part of the fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive