Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 AM

176 posts, read 585,553 times

Advertisements

What are the best pricing websites for older used cars and how would you use them to find either a reasonable buying or selling price for a private transaction?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 08:07 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,229,594 times
You can find the prices on older cars by using a collector car price guide. Then when you see a car listed you will know if it priced within reason and go from there.There are many web sites which list old collector cars but the prices are very variable.Check Hammond s on the net

Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,263,804 times
Let the market be your guide...

SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All the Classifieds. One Search.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,537,242 times
Not sure what you mean by older but if its collectible classics scrolling through this site will give an idea of price to condition..
Street Rods For Sale/Collector Cars For Sale

Old 12-07-2012, 05:47 PM

17,244 posts, read 57,308,002 times
With older cars - say even more than 10 years, definitely at 20 - the difference between the best and worst examples out there is stark, so online guides are only going to give a broad range of prices. What guys in the Northeast would call "a little rust" is to me a hopeless rust bucket.

Then we get into mods - most are done poorly. A 20 year old car with an original or even period looking sound system is rare. Many Japanese cars in this age bracket have been "ricered" to death, and are for sale because the little nimrod who runs it figures his luck is about to run out. Don't let him hand that grenade to you.

Price depends on supply and demand, and on the cult status or not of the car. My point is, for example, all Corvettes back to '53 are in demand and in good condition they are, broad brush, $10K and up (WAY up for desirable models) while the market for a 20 year old minivan probably won't go beyond maybe $2K for the best one in the world. Partly because a minivan is totally bereft of "cool factor", partly because many of them are a bear to work on, partly because the people who buy them are not car people (see point 1) so they are just afraid of a 20 year old car.

That said if you are a real car guy and want to buy a plain vanilla car just to drive to work, for a spare, whatever, you can frequently pick them up cheap, and, yeah, you will generally have to drop a few bucks and a few weekends into the car, but for example I am driving a 92 Subie Legacy today, bought for $1500 almost 10 years ago, I had to replace one ball joint ($30 part and DIY) and of course tires, brake pads, etc. - but for way less than $2500, tires and all, I have a very sound good car, high 20's MPG, will cruise 80 all day long, A/C works, I think I beat the market on this one.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:46 PM

24,492 posts, read 23,207,129 times
Car gurus. I think they have only dealerships covered but give you analysis of prices and a general idea on whats a good deal or not. Craigslist is good too but SPAM seems to be a problem now and again and some of the ads are cryptic at best. No photos, minimal description, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive