Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:04 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,585,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Nothing over 50k. Unless you have a classic car and able able to handle your own repairs, automobiles are bad bad investments. Anyone using the term "liquid capital" knows investment terms.
Agree, but I posted both sides of the fence. Practical, I picked the Volvo S60. Impractical was a dream project car that would probably cost nearly double the cost of the S60 in parts and labor. Realistically, I'd get two cars, one for me and one for my wife and the rest would be invested in a variety of ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,515,635 times
I would get a loaded black Cadillac Escalade.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:55 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,776,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Sheesh, some of you are really no fun at all. No need to pick apart the post so damn much, what car would you buy if you had $1mil liquid to do so? If you'd keep your old car, great.

I'd probably buy the latest 911 Turbo S, and spend another 30-40k on options and mods, that'd still leave me with about $800k.

Really, a million dollars is pretty excessive for cars, unless you're looking for a rare classic or something. If money were no object (and it would cost far more than 1 mil) I'd buy a Ferrari 250GT California, and I'd actually drive it.
You will never get a straight answer from some people because they are obsessed with always having more. Anything anybody else dreams about having is dumb to them cause they want more money and that is their main objective.

Of course if they have plenty of money to buy what ever they want they buy it. Most people dream of it cause they will never have enough. IMO

Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,994,481 times
I'm 46 and I would professionally restore all 15 of my cars. Nothing new. Don't like new cars.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 AM

363 posts, read 990,221 times
2012 Ford F450 King Ranch.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,143,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Liquid capital?
Doesn't that imply you are going to invest it?
No. Liquid Capital means money you can lay your hands on immediately (such as cash or redeemable investment instruments like CDs) as opposed to property that can only be turned into cash by waiting for a suitable buyer at a negotiated price (such as real estate or collectibles).

As for the OP, I would look for a fairly decent used car manufactured before the era of keyless entry, and with instruments and controls that I can understand. Even if I had a million dollars, I'd be content to stick a WalMart-made key into a hole and turn it to open the door and start the car. I wold spend a few days test driving a lot of cars, until I found one I fell in love with. I wouldn't care what make it is.

I'd look first at station wagons or minivans, something I can sleep in the back of on a road trip, so as not to waste the rest of my million on motels. I know a mechanic that I can trust, and I'd put him on a comfortable retainer to take care of my car for me. The fact that I can trust him implies that he probably needs the income.

If it turned out to be a lemon later on, I'd still have $995,000 to buy a replacement, and I know some people who would appreciate the gift of a decent car that happened to disappoint me.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-25-2012 at 08:29 AM..

Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,724,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah I heard the 2014 MAY be redesigned, but I dont see it since they just freshened the 2013 model, so I say it will be around until 2015 at least. Its still a modern design and a good one. I am not sure, I wanted ecoboost, but lately I read random reports of trouble with it, so I would have to research more, but I heard the 5.0L is a good choice. I would easily choose a Lariat, but I like the Platinum in many other ways, especially that it has the standard multi-color ambient interior light feature. Sounds silly, but I rented a Ford SUV once that had it and really thought it was cool. You can get it on the others I think, but only as a dealer installed option (which I would be afraid our dealers would mess it up), but on the Platinum, its factory installed.

I would think I would like the power running boards, but maybe not after I actually had them. lol.

I honestly cant afford one now, but when (and IF) my dad gets his retirement he is supposed to be getting and still waiting on, he said he wants to buy me a new vehicle and I think I want a F150, but may go with the Lariat since its still super nice and quite a bit cheaper... then somedays I think I would settle for a new 2013 Nissan Sentra SL with all of the bells and whistles for $24K. lol. We will see I guess.
I'll admit, the ambient lighting is pretty neat albeit not necessary. I like having all the bells and whistles on my vehicles which was the main reason I bought the Platinum. I'm not sure if it'll be redesigned in 2014MY or in the 2015MY; either way I'll probably trade my 2010 off for a new truck/SUV this summer.

The Ecoboost is a solid engine from those I know who have one but so is the 5.0L; I really don't think you can go wrong with either. I hear mixed reports on mileage with the 3.5L but average mileage between 19-21 seems to be about the normal...which I consider quite good considering the 5.4L Triton in my truck gets 15 mpg in any driving conditions. The 5.0L is a bit better at about 17-19 mpg in mixed driving.

Actually the main reason I bought my Platinum was the metallic red paint that I couldn't get on the Lariat...stupid reason for shelling out another $8K but I guess you only live once! I'd probably recommend the Lariat for pragmatic reasons; the features on the Platinum versus Lariat don't justify the extra $8K unless you really love the retractable running boards, ambient lighting, and special paint.

As far as the running boards go, I think they're unnecessary and a bit annoying at times. It doesn't take long for them to deploy but it's still easier to have stationary running boards.

If you get a new F-150, post a review on here! I'm still waffling between getting a new F-150, Yukon Denali, or (possibly) the last year of the Caddy Escalade EXT. Not sure which to pick at this point.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:33 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,827,342 times
I've always had this fantasy about finding my first car again. It was a 69 Camaro. I've had many dreams about it over the years. I never got over selling it.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,741,118 times
Domestic - 1967 Shelby GT 500, blue with white stripes.

Import - 1969 Porsche 911S, silver.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:57 PM

20,311 posts, read 37,277,555 times
I would just buy a large parcel of arable but forested land on relatively high ground, somewhere where I could have a garden grow food most of the year, and cut firewood for the colder days. I would build a large enough (not too large) cabin with a strong and secure basement, one that stays cool for storing foods and other stuff. The place would have to be not too far from a town or city, but far enough for privacy and close enough to some hunting grounds. That is what I would do, while you buy cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive