Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:56 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times

Advertisements

My 96 Toy Corolla with almost 212k miles on it has served well. The probably is it's due for some neglected maintenance, due to loss of employment, and blue book is about $1800 and needs close to 1k in repairs. I have maintained everything very well that I learned how to do. All fluids changed religiously at 30k, except P/S fluid, brakes done about 50k ago, but the alternator, radiator, are orig. and. I even run Mobile 1 since I found out many Toys have sludge problems. The timing belt and water pump are overdue ( done 90k miles ago ). So being a fan of Clark Howard's he says fix it if you can keep the repair cost under 50% of the blue book. I am either right about there or even if I do I still have a worn suspension and orig cat converter so I don't know what to do.

My thought is when I get a new job sell it and buy a used import ( I am not loyal to brand ) but have found imports to be more reliable through consumer reports and life experience. I was set to buy an used Hyundai Elantra with 20-30k on it for around 14k then they redesigned the car and now the price is through the roof. I can't find an older design Elantra meeting the above specs. So I am open to considering another Corolla or maybe even Echo. I would also consider a Nissan Sentra or a Versa.

I will not be financing the car. I will get a personal loan with no interest from a family member.

I would appreciate your constructive feedback. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 12:59 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Kia Forte (sedan, coupe or wagon) is something I recommend considering. Scion TC if you're in to coupes as well because their value will drop like a stone because of the FR-S.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Kia Forte (sedan, coupe or wagon) is something I recommend considering. Scion TC if you're in to coupes as well because their value will drop like a stone because of the FR-S.
I am not sure what FR-S is, but let me be more specific. I live in Colorado and it had to have front wheel drive, no rear wheel.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I am not sure what FR-S is, but let me be more specific. I live in Colorado and it had to have front wheel drive, no rear wheel.
What about AWD? The Subaru Impreza can be had from 12-15k. Good snow tires on a RWD car will do just fine. I lived in France with an E36 M3 as my daily driver. Never had issues but I'm not sure of the snowfall there in comparison to Colorado.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:39 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
Get a 2008/2009 Impreza. Boring as hell inside and out, but will do great in the snow and keep it's value.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:59 PM

I would consider a Subaru, but frankly AWD adds cost for what I have seen. And no one in their right mind drives a RWD vehicle in the winter in Colorado. True funny story. About 7 years ago my co-worker tells me an armored car spun and and crashed in a snow storm, RWD. About 2 years later another armored car in a different part of state same thing. You would think they would get smarter. Plus I am downsizing and won't have the space for 4 more tires, probably moving to apt. with no garage.

My Mom has an 03 Outback and frankly it was nearly as reliable as I expected. Before 30k the ECU went bad and the Cat Convertor went bad too. That was 3k in repairs that were just barely covered by the 30k warranty. But yes AWD is fantasic in the snow. If you get a flat tire though you have to replace all 4 tires not just one so that's another potential cost issue.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:08 PM

I would and I bet I would have no issues but that's going on my prior experience of living in a snowy area of France with a RWD car. However, the cost of having AWD is worth it over a FWD. AWD is less fuel efficient and cost more to maintain but it's worth it over a FWD vehicle. The Subaru Impreza is a clearly better vehicle for those conditions. Don't be cheap in this situation. If you're going to spend 12 to 15k on a car. Get the best out there. Don't settle for an inferior propulsion layout.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I would and I bet I would have no issues but that's going on my prior experience of living in a snowy area of France with a RWD car. However, the cost of having AWD is worth it over a FWD. AWD is less fuel efficient and cost more to maintain but it's worth it over a FWD vehicle. The Subaru Impreza is a clearly better vehicle for those conditions. Don't be cheap in this situation. If you're going to spend 12 to 15k on a car. Get the best out there. Don't settle for an inferior propulsion layout.
I am willing to check an Impreza it will be interesting to see how much of one I can get for 12-15k and with how many miles on it.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:17 PM

There are a few but like I suspected most are far north of 15k or have so many miles I won't feel comfortable buying them. Search Used Cars in Aurora CO for deals on Subaru Impreza used cars

Old 11-21-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
There are a few but like I suspected most are far north of 15k or have so many miles I won't feel comfortable buying them. Search Used Cars in Aurora CO for deals on Subaru Impreza used cars
Also you will be hard pressed to find one for 15k around even 2wd won't be that prevalent unless it's a base or near base model. Try up to 30k because that still doesn't make it a bad vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive