Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,328,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Porsche used injector shut off as far back as 1973. I owned a 1973 911T with mechanical injection. Each cyclinder had an air intake and a in head injector. The was a controller called a 'transducer' about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It was just an electromaget for the tach and a small printed circuit with a few transisters for solenoid control] It controlled the tach and the injector solenoid. When you took you foot off the accelerator, the solenoid would retrack, shutting off the injector pump. When the tach dropped to 1200 rpm [no matter the vehicle speed] the transducer would send a signal to the solenoid to allow the injector pump to operate so the engine would not stall.

IIRC, the fuel control solenoid on this set-up only brought the fuel delivery back to a minimum rate, not shut off the fuel completely. These mechanical fuel injection systems were very problematic on the running characteristics at small fuel delivery rates; a complete shut off of fuel and then the tipping in would result in popping in the intake manifold as the mixture was way too lean. Similar set-ups were found on everything from the Bosch to SPICA to Kugelfisher mechanical injection systems on the Euro cars for a few years and that hastened the development of the electronic fuel injection systems to follow; even diesel engines have moved from mechanical fuel delivery to electronic due to the ability to meter and deliver fuel more precise control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 09:23 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,198,702 times
The upper cylinder still needs lubrication.
fuel is a lube.
Some needs to be injected when coasting.

If no fuel was injected you would quickly come to a stop.
Give it a try drive down you road and let off the throttle.
How far do you go?
Now do it again and this time turn off the ignition.(but don't lock the wheel)
I bet you come to a stop rather quickly compared to coasting.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,177,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
fuel is a lube.

If no fuel was injected you would quickly come to a stop.
Give it a try drive down you road and let off the throttle.
How far do you go?
Now do it again and this time turn off the ignition.(but don't lock the wheel)
I bet you come to a stop rather quickly compared to coasting.
Although my car brings fuel delivery to a minimum, it has been confirmed that some cars actually stop delivering fuel altogether while coasting.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 AM

Then they must be alternating cylinders.
If you stop fueling you stop moving.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,672,084 times
Quote:
Then they must be alternating cylinders.
If you stop fueling you stop moving.

You would coast to a stop. You don't suddenly lock up and stop when you kill fuel to the engine, the engine drags the car down.

Not sure if the OPs car is the 2.0T or not but it might be possible that on forced induction cars the injectors don't completely cutout.

Either way on a car with a loud exhaust you can hear when the injectors kick back in...

Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,779,699 times
I thought FI was different than carburators (sp) at high altitude. A friend says he bought a FI atv and rode on trails in Rocky MTNS in CO and it was not running right. Took to dealer and was told set at factory to run up to 8000 ft only. Needed adjusted for above that.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,891,586 times
I've read about the fuel shut off, but I'm confused when it comes to the actual application on my vehicles. Our Explorer has the computer that shows instant mpg. Coasting down a hill in gear and I can get 50-60mpg on the display. Shift to neutral on the same hill, and it spikes up to 100 or so mpg. Same thing on our two Vibes using an OBDII adapter, but the mpg is more like 140 in gear and over 200 mpg in neutral. This is contrary to what I've read that new cars use less fuel in gear due to the transmission keeping the motor turning, but when you shift to neutral, the computer has to use more fuel to keep the engine at idle. Confusing, to say the least.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Did I say you will skid to a stop? no.
I said you will stop. why as you said the engine will drag you down , to what? a stop?
You will not just go, coasting along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
You would coast to a stop. You don't suddenly lock up and stop when you kill fuel to the engine, the engine drags the car down.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:55 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,529,663 times
Quote:
fuel is a lube.
You'd better do some research. "Decel fuel cutoff" has been standard on most vehicles for years (well more than decade). Ford had this to say about even more technology that they call "Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off"--already implemented on some vehicles:

Quote:
We are deploying Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off technology to improve fuel efficiency. ADFSO allows fuel supply to the engine to be shut off during vehicle deceleration and then automatically restarted when needed for acceleration or when the vehicle’s speed approaches zero. This new system builds on the Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off technology available in our existing vehicles by extending the fuel shut-off feature to lower speeds and more types of common driving conditions, without compromising driving performance or emission.

This improved fuel shut-off will increase fuel economy by an average of 1 percent. An additional benefit is increased deceleration rates, which should extend brake life and improve speed control on undulating roads.

Starting in 2008 this technology was implemented on the Ford Flex, F-150, Expedition and Escape and the Lincoln MKS and Navigator. We are continuing to implement it as we bring out new vehicles. For example, the 2011 Ford Edge, Ford Explorer and Lincoln MKX use ADFSO. The ADFSO technology will be a standard feature in all of our North American vehicles by 2015, and we will continue to expand implementation globally.
Full article here: Improving Fuel Economy - Sustainability 2011/12 - Ford Motor Company

Old 10-17-2012, 03:08 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,177,878 times
The length of these acronyms is getting ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive