Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 53,289 times

Advertisements

I bought a car from Nissan Dealer, and few servicing was left. The day of delivery I called them and they said they need some more time as they are replacing the engine with a new one, as the previous engines had some issues and it was under warranty. The car when i purchased had a clean title and one owner
1. My Question is taking a car with replaced new engine can it change the title of the car in carfax. What is it going to show in carfax
2. Will the resale value of the car get reduced.
3. If I dont want the car now, are they going to refund the money. As they have not informed me the issue while i paid them.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,913 times
I take it the car is used?

You may be looking a this too pessimistically. There was a known issue with the 4-cylinder 2.5s in certain Altimas that is well known and documented. Having the work done means you stand less of a risk having issues in the future. It also HELPS your resale (if you have a savvy buyer) because they know that issue is now resolved and not something they have to worry about.

Too answer your questions directly:

1. No title change. It MAY show up in Carfax, but Carfax is notoriously unreliable in the data they capture and report. And again, even if it does, all it will show is that your call was affected by a known issue and was dealt with accordingly. What's the bad side to that? It's nt like they're throwing in a used engine they picked up at a junkyard. It's a brand-new factory Nissan engine that (supposedly) has all the kinks worked out.

2. Shouldn't. Put it this way. If I was buying a used car, I'd do research to find out all recalls that may affect the vehicle I'm interested in. Knowing that a previous owner had gone through the effort to take care of these recall issues would give me peace of mind, not worry me.

3. That's a tough one. But again, I think you're focusing on a potential negative that, in my mind, is a real positive. A new FACTORY engine in a used car? WIN WIN!!

Mike

Old 09-17-2012, 03:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Are they putting in a new factory bbuilt engine or a rebuilt "texas longblock" with cheapo pistons and rings and other cheap parts.

If it is a new factory enginer, and you keep the paperwork to prove it, it should increase the value of the car. However personally i owuld be leery of the car becasue if the engine burned out early that indicates the car may have been abused. If the engine was replaced, how far behind will the transmission be? It also may be the engine just had a defect, but who wants to take the chance?

If they put a texas longblock or equivalent in it, anyone with a lick of sense would not buy the car.

You cna probably get out of th deal if you want to. They are not giving you the car you agreed to buy. they are giving yu a car with a replaced engine. You may have to fight witht hem about it, but they should take it back.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:22 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,121 times
I personally wouldn't buy it if I found out that they replaced the engine, I don't look at that as a plus.

Your car has a major problem if the only solution was to replace the engine. whether that problem was something from the factory, something in the behavior of the person driving it, or something in the way it was maintained, is a guessing game, 2 out of 3 of those indicate that there could be problems with the things that weren't replaced in the future.

the other factor I see is, are these technicions comeptant enough to completely dissassemble the engine and put it back togoether with everything playing well together. Some are, some aren't even at the dealer. this is also assuming by them saying that they are replacing the engine, that they don't mean with another used engine.

to me, there are a lot of variables, and very few upsides to buying this one, vs buying one running right from day 1 to today. at best you're really buying the car you thought you were buying, at worst, you're buying a box of problems.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:50 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Actually if you can get out of it, you cna get a better deal by buying a simlar car from an owner who is not a dealer.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:17 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,540,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post

You may be looking a this too pessimistically. There was a known issue with the 4-cylinder 2.5s in certain Altimas that is well known and documented.
Yep!
The 02 Altimas was not a good year for that car
Engine was a POS.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:35 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post

You may be looking a this too pessimistically. There was a known issue with the 4-cylinder 2.5s in certain Altimas that is well known and documented. Having the work done means you stand less of a risk having issues in the future. It also HELPS your resale (if you have a savvy buyer) because they know that issue is now resolved and not something they have to worry about.

Too answer your questions directly:

1. No title change. It MAY show up in Carfax, but Carfax is notoriously unreliable in the data they capture and report. And again, even if it does, all it will show is that your call was affected by a known issue and was dealt with accordingly. What's the bad side to that? It's nt like they're throwing in a used engine they picked up at a junkyard. It's a brand-new factory Nissan engine that (supposedly) has all the kinks worked out.

2. Shouldn't. Put it this way. If I was buying a used car, I'd do research to find out all recalls that may affect the vehicle I'm interested in. Knowing that a previous owner had gone through the effort to take care of these recall issues would give me peace of mind, not worry me.

3. That's a tough one. But again, I think you're focusing on a potential negative that, in my mind, is a real positive. A new FACTORY engine in a used car? WIN WIN!!

Mike
All very true!

Old 06-17-2016, 06:00 AM

569 posts, read 551,937 times
A new engine for an used car: what is there to complain?

And Nissan automobiles were for the A to B purposes, they weren't for the investment purposes.

Most of their cars were furnished for certain degrees of comforts. They were the civilian transports, not the street cars.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:07 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times
Make sure you have a warranty on the new engine. I'm not a Nissan fan. I hope you get a lot of good miles on the new engine without a problem.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:15 AM

569 posts, read 551,937 times
The engine on the1970s Hondas could last more than 20 yrs and it was still in the used car market in the early 2000. I guess his Nissan would last at least 5 years. But it is just my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive