Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 AM

609 posts, read 2,246,628 times

Advertisements

I always go to the dealer for routine oil changes ( i bring my own synthetic oil though). Something for you to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,767,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Thank you so much for the useless advice!
Its not useless at all. Knowing how to do something yourself, knowing how something works, would stop many people from asking things like this.

Is the op's question stupid, no. But if they knew how simple an oil change is they would possibly not have had to ask it in the first place. Might even feel better about themselves having been able to do something for their self instead of having to rely on someone else.

Being that they mentioned an "internal filter", its mostly like a V6 not the 4cyl that uses a standard oil filter.
On the V6 you simply do the following:

-Remove 17mm drain plug from oil pan, drain old oil.
-Remove 6 10mm retaining bolts to remove the top engine cover.
-Open the oil filter housing by hand and replace the filter element.
-Replace the 2 rubber o rings on the filter cap.
-Tighten the filter housing cap by hand.
-Replace the engine cover and 6 retaining bolts.
-Fill with 4quarts of oil.
-Run engine for a few minutes, check fluid level. Fill remaining oil until it reads about half way on the dipstick indicator.
-Done.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,355,109 times
1.) I'm not going to change my own oil. Not happening.

2.) I had been using that place for years with no trouble, and so have many of my neighbors. I didn't just roll up to the cheapest closest lube shop; I did do my homework.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 PM

9,826 posts, read 11,587,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
1.)
2.) I did do my homework.
Obviously you didn't,are else your windshield wipers and alarm would still be working.
I would try posting on a Hyundai message board

Old 08-23-2012, 02:45 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,150,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Obviously you didn't,are else your windshield wipers and alarm would still be working.
Are you saying that it is impossible for an employee at a normally reputable shop to make a mistake? Or are you saying that it is impossible for a component to fail at around the same time that a car has been maintained?

Old 08-23-2012, 04:08 PM

9,826 posts, read 11,587,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Are you saying that it is impossible for an employee at a normally reputable shop to make a mistake? Or are you saying that it is impossible for a component to fail at around the same time that a car has been maintained?
No what im saying is He didn't do his homework!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
No what im saying is He didn't do his homework!
I'm female and I'd rather have constructive advice than "you're stupid because you didn't do it this way to begin with."

Too late and completely useless.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:06 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,260,508 times
Quote:
I don't understand this post either. All the homework in the world means nothing in the face of human error and blind chance.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I don't understand this post either. All the homework in the world means nothing in the face of human error and blind chance.
Yeah...I don't get how taking my car to have its oil changed, something most people do instead of doing it themselves, translates to it being MY fault that my car is damaged.

Anyway, something changed today...the alarm indicator on the dashboard now blinks whenever the car is parked and the engine is turned off. That wasn't happening last week. I still can't set the alarm.

I also can't find any pump or hose or any anything having to do with the wiper fluid reservoir. I can find the top of it to fill it, but that's it. When I try to use the wiper fluid, the wipers go back and forth and it hums like it's TRYING to pump fluid, but nothing comes out.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,963,134 times
Althogh you cna find bad technicains all over in my experience you usually get the best mechanics and technicians at independant shops. The next best at dealerships and the worst at quick change places. Sometimes the dealership techs are as bad or worse than the quickie places. Delarships tend to take their best mechanics and make them into salesmen who do nto actually work on cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive