Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 04:47 PM

19,173 posts, read 25,435,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
And, if they insist on using them, wouldn't putting them at the TOP of the ramp make more sense than putting them at the BOTTOM? But what do I know?
If you put a stop light at the top of an entrance ramp, you are then expecting everyone on that ramp to be able to accelerate to the same speed as the traffic on the expressway (65 mph? 70 mph? 75 mph?) in the space of...not very much roadway. The longer the acceleration lanes, the greater the chance that cars entering the expressway will match the speed of cars on the expressway, but the presence of a stop light at the top of the ramp means that you are providing a very short acceleration lane for traffic that is merging into the expressway.

The biggest problem (and, thus, the leading cause of accidents) on high speed roadways is the disparity in speeds between different vehicles. The more that you can do to match the speeds of the various cars, the less the incidence of collisions.

Unfortunately, your idea would result in cars merging at even slower speeds, and that is just plain dangerous.

Think about it, and--hopefully--you will understand that I am correct.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 04:51 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,040,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If you put a stop light at the top of an entrance ramp, you are then expecting everyone on that ramp to be able to accelerate to the same speed as the traffic on the expressway (65 mph? 70 mph? 75 mph?) in the space of...not very much roadway. The longer the acceleration lanes, the greater the chance that cars entering the expressway will match the speed of cars on the expressway, but the presence of a stop light at the top of the ramp means that you are providing a very short acceleration lane for traffic that is merging into the expressway.

The biggest problem (and, thus, the leading cause of accidents) on high speed roadways is the disparity in speeds between different vehicles. The more that you can do to match the speeds of the various cars, the less the incidence of collisions.

Unfortunately, your idea would result in cars merging at even slower speeds, and that is just plain dangerous.

I don't want a traffic light on a ramp at all. I think they're absurd, and in my experience, they've caused nothing but trouble. (See my previous post, as it looks like we posted at the same time. )

Old 07-29-2012, 06:05 PM

24,543 posts, read 26,100,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Ref the highlighted comment.

Therein lie the problem. When the stop light are in operation, the freeway speeds are generally in the 30MPH to 50MPH range (sometimes at a crawl or even stopped) accelerating into traffic at those speeds is not a problem.When the traffic monitors notice traffic thinning out and traffic speed increasing to normal freeway speeds the light are turned off.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:11 PM

15,446 posts, read 25,886,610 times
When I lived in Minneapolis, I hated them too. The news always said that they really help with traffic on the freeway. I have no idea if it's true or not.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:13 PM

24,543 posts, read 26,100,212 times
^^ It does work.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:14 PM

2,268 posts, read 3,730,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
When I lived in Minneapolis, I hated them too. The news always said that they really help with traffic on the freeway. I have no idea if it's true or not.
The ones in Arlington, VA help in the mornings. I think they're off when traffic doesn't suck. They tend to keep cars from clumping up on the ramp. That said though, I've never had a problem getting up to speed on ramps, be it in my '91 Cutlass in high school, my Camry, and both of my Jeeps. I certainly never had a problem getting up to speed on my bike. Most, if not all cars, can make it to highway speeds in the space of a ramp. There are a few ramps here and there that are simply not long enough, and if I need the extra length I'll just use the shoulder instead of pulling into traffic. That said though, the people that think their cars can't make it up or don't want to/are afraid to hit the gas really should not be driving on the highway. I do know a couple people who have said they won't accelerate that fast or go above 55-60 because it eats too much gas. Well, I choose not to tell them what I think about that, it'll only start an argument

Old 07-07-2017, 06:38 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,512,591 times
I find it unacceptably cautious when people are too scared to make a left turn on an entire light cycle, holding up all the cars in behind.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:46 AM

19,173 posts, read 25,435,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I find it unacceptably cautious when people are too scared to make a left turn on an entire light cycle, holding up all the cars in behind.
+1
I have been stuck behind Nervous Nellies who apparently won't make a left turn if there is an approaching car closer than 3 blocks. What really aggravates the problem is the phenomenon of people who insist on staying behind the stop line, instead of legally rolling into the intersection to wait for an opportunity to make their turn.

I have been in situations where a person who insists on staying behind the stop line while waiting to turn caused everyone else to sit behind them for three traffic light cycles, and that is simply unacceptable.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:27 AM

14,440 posts, read 14,389,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Another thread on people not making right turns on red, along with stopping at speed bumps and a few other odds and ends got me to thinking about this. Is there such thing as being *too* cautious of a driver, or in the end, scared to the point where you shouldn't be driving?

Examples that come to mind (this is in the Northern VA area). Driving 40mph on the Beltway when there's no traffic, the speed limit is 55. Traffic around you is moving at the speed limit or 5-10 higher is the norm. Hanging out of your lane into the next one when you're driving next to a jersey wall because you either can't judge the space or are afraid of hitting it.

Slowing down to 30-35mph on I95 because you realize at the last minute you're in the wrong lane and are afraid to miss your exit. Opposite of this, slowing down to a crawl in the merge lane trying to find a space instead of getting up to highway speed to merge with traffic.

Other examples I've seen are not making a right on red when you have the room, or stopping on a turn when the turn lane continues onto the next road (An example is making the right from Minnieville Rd onto the Prince William County Parkway. The turning lane from Minnieville turns into the right lane of the Parkway - the lane doesn't end and there's no yield).

I know a woman who works in DC, but is scared senseless to drive in the city. She won't do it. If VRE isn't running (local commuter train), she doesn't go to work. She's admitted to being too scared to drive anywhere around the city.

I'm sure there are others, but this is what comes to mind after an everyday commute.
I had an uncle who died about fifteen years ago. He would be a prototype example of someone who is "too cautious too drive". I believe he owned a brand new Ford Crown Victoria and he was extremely concerned that the car not even be slightly scratched. He would drive in the left hand lane of a road that had two lanes going the same direction in a downtown area at a speed of about 15 miles per hour. Angry drivers would honk at him and try and get him to at least move into the right hand lane. He would deliberately ignore the honking.

When he parked his car, he would always choose a spot far from any other car in the parking lot. Even if meant a long walk to the entrance of a store or building.

He would never go faster than about 55 to 60 miles an hour on any freeway.

A major topic of discussion for him were the "poor driving habits" of all the other people in the community in which he lived. He truly believed he was the only sane motorist on the roads. I suppose, in his defense, one would have to make room for the fact that he started life with very little and struggled to have a decent home and car. He didn't want anyone interfering with his notion of the American Dream.

He was indeed "too cautious" to be driving an automobile.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:02 PM

22,681 posts, read 24,687,721 times
I use quite a bit of caution, but I am not afraid while driving.

If you make a right-turn on a red, onto a two or more lane roadway, with traffic coming in the lane other than your "clear"-lane.........it is risky. For instance, you turn into that clear-lane and somebody decides to change lanes, into your clear-lane and pegs you........guess what, you will be, at least, partially at fault and maybe dead.

I drive at the speed-limit if it is safe to do so.....that makes to "too cautious" to the people going 15-20 mph over the speed-limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive