Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times

Advertisements

Took my 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback to be detailed today -- first time I've ever had a car detailed. Also had the windows tinted and the headlights "restored." All-in-all, I'm super-happy with the results.

(Btw, I have a Siberian Husky. The detailer did a great job getting all the hair out of the car. The carpet in the front around the console was so bad -- although not from dog hair, just from 8 years of accumulated crud -- that he had to remove the front seats to clean the carpet.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
That's what a detail should be-detailed. Some 'detailers' think a good wash, vacuum, and slathering on some wax is a detail. A detail should being the car back to as new as possible.

Pulling the seats certainly isn't part of a standard detail but sometimes it's necessary just to get the normally visible part of the carpet as clean as possible. Car looks great.

There are threads where people ask about what they should do with the money from the monthly payments after they pay a car off. I always suggest they spend some money on the car to make it nicer, whatever that means to that person. A detail, tint, sound system update, fix some minor things that have been annoyances for a while, new wheels, etc. Basically do something that would make it more like a new car would be, without buying a new car.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:48 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,614,714 times
I used to detail cars. I loved doing cars that were nasty because you knew in the end it would be a huge change. One thing I recommend for people who haul pets in there cars is those brushes for horses hair. You use it on your carpets as you vacuum and the hair literally comes right up. I also recommend vacuuming at least once every two months,also add a new air freshener. Now keep your car clean and get it detailed twice a year! It will maintain it's value and you'll have more appreciation for the car.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:02 AM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Car looks great.
Now, to keep it looking like that all it takes is less than 15 minutes once a week.
Go to any auto supply store and pick up Meguiar's ultimate quick detail in the black plastic spray bottle.
It is well worth the ten bucks it cost.
I have never seen a product that give a shine like it does.
My classic bird, and my ten year old dakota always looks better than new, and I use this product about once a week.
Never ever have to wash the car, and in fact using soap on any car is actually very stupid.
It eats up any wax that is on the car.
Once you use the ultimate detail spray, all you need to keep the car looking clean is a damp rag to remove dust, and a dry rag to buff.
It has worked for me for over fifty years.
None of my vehicles have ever seen a drop of soap in all those years, and still they look better than brand new.

Bob.

Last edited by CALGUY; 04-21-2012 at 12:17 AM..

Old 04-21-2012, 04:53 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
As soon as pollen season is over I will be doing this.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:14 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,631,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Car looks great.
Now, to keep it looking like that all it takes is less than 15 minutes once a week.
Go to any auto supply store and pick up Meguiar's ultimate quick detail in the black plastic spray bottle.
It is well worth the ten bucks it cost.
I have never seen a product that give a shine like it does.
My classic bird, and my ten year old dakota always looks better than new, and I use this product about once a week.
Never ever have to wash the car, and in fact using soap on any car is actually very stupid.
It eats up any wax that is on the car.
Once you use the ultimate detail spray, all you need to keep the car looking clean is a damp rag to remove dust, and a dry rag to buff.
It has worked for me for over fifty years.
None of my vehicles have ever seen a drop of soap in all those years, and still they look better than brand new.

Bob.
What do you suggest those of us in the northeast do to get road salt off our cars in the winter?

Old 04-21-2012, 06:07 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Car looks great.
Thanks for the tip.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:23 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I used to detail cars. I loved doing cars that were nasty because you knew in the end it would be a huge change. One thing I recommend for people who haul pets in there cars is those brushes for horses hair. You use it on your carpets as you vacuum and the hair literally comes right up. I also recommend vacuuming at least once every two months,also add a new air freshener. Now keep your car clean and get it detailed twice a year! It will maintain it's value and you'll have more appreciation for the car.
Reality show! Call it "Detail my gross car!"

Old 04-21-2012, 07:02 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
Looks good. Did you have the engine detailed? That's what I'm thinking of having done, but it doesn't seem that every detailer offers it.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:36 AM

510 posts, read 2,206,996 times
tgbwc - I am a detailer on LI in NY. I dont recommend having your motor steam cleaned. I have found in the past that this can only lead to issues with the motor. If you clean the top parts of your motor with a spray bottle and a towel that can be effective, but I wouldnt spray any type of water into or onto the motor itself.

The Mitsu came out excellent. Black is especially hard to detail, and takes a matter of skill to get it back to showroom condition. Looks like the guy that did your car, was a professional and knew the steps to make a black car shine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive