Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
What is that supposed to mean, really? By that logic, I should drive an 18-wheeler everywhere and do whatever I damn well please since I'll win in every confrontation.

Yes, it's in a pedestrian's best interest to not force the issue, but they do have the right-of-way.

Mike
It means that you should use common sense and not act stupidly becuase you feel that you are "right". It means that avoiding a problem is more important than being in the right. Among other things, that includes not walking behind a large vehicle with limited visibility when they are backing up just because you have the right of way. The laws of physics say that you will lose that argument. You may have the right of way, but you will be dead or crippled. Expensive way to prove you are right. As to an 18 wheelere, it means that you should take whatever measures you can to stay out of their way. they may be a terrible driver, they may be wrong and liable, but they will still crush your car or you if you insist on doing smthing stupid becasue you are right.

Even if being right gets you money, you are still better off with a non-crushed car or body than you are being right in the eys of the law.

Unfortunately I have to explain this concept to people all too often. Sometimes people are stupid stubborn. Other times they are just stupid.

"But I had the right of way"

Yes, but now our legs are crushed and you will bandicapped fo rhte rest of your llife, You could have stopped for fifteen seconds and avoided all of this."

"But i had the right of way, it is his fault not mine"

"Yes. But that will not fix your legs."

"You are an idiot."

That is what it means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,175,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Cars backing up DO have the right of way, BTW.
He was in a rush to get the open handicapped parking space a few spaces up. Oh he and his wife walked fine, of course. I even let him cross in front of me to go into the store and waved him on. I called him a dingus, but the window was up so he didn't hear me.
Parking lot etiquette and rules. If a car is backing up, you stop. You don't floor it to get past them, you don't honk so they stop so you can get past. You use that pedal called the brake.

the rules of the road apply in parking lot etiquette.

A car backing out of any parking spot does not have the right-of- way, a car travailing in the lane does, be it on the street or in a parking lot.BTW
AS others have stated.

PS the old guy was not the "dingus" you were.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:47 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,178,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It means that you should use common sense and not act stupidly becuase you feel that you are "right". It means that avoiding a problem is more important than being in the right. Among other things, that includes not walking behind a large vehicle with limited visibility when they are backing up just because you have the right of way. The laws of physics say that you will lose that argument. You may have the right of way, but you will be dead or crippled. Expensive way to prove you are right. As to an 18 wheelere, it means that you should take whatever measures you can to stay out of their way. they may be a terrible driver, they may be wrong and liable, but they will still crush your car or you if you insist on doing smthing stupid becasue you are right.

Even if being right gets you money, you are still better off with a non-crushed car or body than you are being right in the eys of the law.

Unfortunately I have to explain this concept to people all too often. Sometimes people are stupid stubborn. Other times they are just stupid.

Yes, but now our legs are crushed and you will bandicapped fo rhte rest of your llife, You could have stopped for fifteen seconds and avoided all of this."

"But i had the right of way, it is his fault not mine"

"Yes. But that will not fix your legs."

"You are an idiot."

That is what it means.
I don't think you and I are disagreeing. I definitely believe there is such a thing as being 'dead right'. But it's a fine line between pedestrians using common sense and drivers using the 'might makes right' argument. That's all I'm saying.

Mike

Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,490,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I just had an old clod do that to me today. I was backing out of a space and the guy blew by me( I stopped ) when I was half out of the space. Cars backing up DO have the right of way, BTW.
He was in a rush to get the open handicapped parking space a few spaces up. Oh he and his wife walked fine, of course. I even let him cross in front of me to go into the store and waved him on. I called him a dingus, but the window was up so he didn't hear me.
Parking lot etiquette and rules. If a car is backing up, you stop. You don't floor it to get past them, you don't honk so they stop so you can get past. You use that pedal called the brake.

I guess this is another thing that irritates me about parking lots and that is those very stupid handicap spaces. It has been years since I saw anyone who actually looked handicapped parking in one of them. In fact, my most recent experience on the point was a lady in a new Lexus very expensive attire parked in the handicap spot in from of the UDF (think 7-11) and went in in front of me and was buying cookies with USDA Food card. Nice.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:21 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,718,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I guess this is another thing that irritates me about parking lots and that is those very stupid handicap spaces. It has been years since I saw anyone who actually looked handicapped parking in one of them. In fact, my most recent experience on the point was a lady in a new Lexus very expensive attire parked in the handicap spot in from of the UDF (think 7-11) and went in in front of me and was buying cookies with USDA Food card. Nice.
Depends on what you call "looked handicapped". My grandfather has a handicap sticker for his shoulder. No outward simptoms, but can't carry anything heavy for long distances anymore, otherwise things start to give out. Things he normally would have carried on his own he needs a hand with now. Mind you, that includes sheetrock, 2x4s, toolboxes. Then again, he also had a quad bypass, so that's another checkbox on the 'ol handicapped sticker. Can't see that from looking at him either.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,786,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
How big of you to only partially damage someone else's belongings
Thanks, I thought about writing a note, but I don't think I had any paper at the time. As for the damage thing, as I said there was plenty of parking, the parking lot was less than 20% full, there was at least 5 empty spaces on the other side of his car and he has to park 12 inches from mine. I've had people park close before, where I had to squeeze into the car only opening the drivers side door halfway to get into my car, but this was so blatant, I just had to take revenge. Any fool could have seen they parked too close, 12 inches isn't even enough to squeeze between the cars let alone open the car door.

Next time I will key the other car for leaving so little room. As for your little sign thing, they will toss it and learn nothing. Nothing teaches faster than damage to your property.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Thanks, I thought about writing a note, but I don't think I had any paper at the time. As for the damage thing, as I said there was plenty of parking, the parking lot was less than 20% full, there was at least 5 empty spaces on the other side of his car and he has to park 12 inches from mine. I've had people park close before, where I had to squeeze into the car only opening the drivers side door halfway to get into my car, but this was so blatant, I just had to take revenge. Any fool could have seen they parked too close, 12 inches isn't even enough to squeeze between the cars let alone open the car door.

Next time I will key the other car for leaving so little room. As for your little sign thing, they will toss it and learn nothing. Nothing teaches faster than damage to your property.
Some bozo left me a nasty note threatening to key my car "next time" after he parked crooked and over the lines forcing me to park close to him. When he left his car, there may have been plenty of other spaces. When he returned ot his car, there may have been plenty of other spaces. However when I parked, the only spot left was next to the yo-yo head who could not figure out how to park between the lines. After getting that note, I always write down the make and license number of any car parked crooked that I have to park close to. If my car gets keyed, I may not be able to provide proof sufficient to have him prosecuted, but I can track him down and invite him to pay for the damage . . . .("or what?" Oh nothing. Nothing at all. You are free to choose not to be a grown up and take care of the result of your little temper tantrum and probably nothing at all will happen. . . . ).

Old 03-07-2012, 03:10 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,210,706 times
Quote:
I may not be able to provide proof sufficient to have him prosecuted, but I can track him down and invite him to pay for the damage . . . .("or what?" Oh nothing. Nothing at all. You are free to choose not to be a grown up and take care of the result of your little temper tantrum and probably nothing at all will happen. . . . ).
LOL, I'd love to see you show up at my front door and accuse me of keying your car in a public parking lot and expect me to do anything other than telling you to GTFO my property.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,786,284 times
Quote:
You are free to choose not to be a grown up and take care of the result of your little temper tantrum and probably nothing at all will happen. . . . ).
This is hardly the same thing, as I said the lot was mostly empty, he may have been an extra spot farther away from the door to the store, but hardly an inconvenience. If the lot was full, I may have had a different attitude. As for writing down the car information your parking next to, you can take the time to write down the cars information, but you can't be bothered to find a better space? I would never be so inconsiderate to park so close, even if the parking lot was full.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:42 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,028,299 times
There are too many jacka**** running up and down the road in parking lots, through school zones, etc. at a high rate of speed. I wish something could be done to these self-centered s*bs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive