Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:58 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,682,709 times

Advertisements

Comparing the rental Accord I most recently drove to the rental Altima I most recently drove, the Altima has nicer features (such as the CVT and push-button ignition), but the Accord is definitely the better car.

That became more evident as I became comfortable enough to push each of them a little bit on the many winter-ravaged bumpy roads in my area. The Accord has the better suspension; bumpy roads don't unsettle it when cornering to the same extent as the Altima. The Accord also has the smoother, quieter engine (comparing 4 cylinder versions).

4-cylinder Accords will receive a CVT as the automatic transmission option in 2013, so the Altima's CVT advantage will be gone. Accord's 4-cylinder engine will also feature direct fuel injection for 2013 (giving a slight performance and fuel economy boost). I don't know what Nissan has in store for the 2013 Altima. In 2013, I'd buy the Accord.

Subjectively speaking, I don't like the styling on Nissan's recent sedans, but even ignoring that, I'd still buy the Accord because the car seems more refined, and better pinned to the crappy roads I have to drive on.

I don't know anything about the current Maxima.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 10:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
Altimas are now just as big as Maximas were just a generation or two ago. If your choice comes down to the Nissans, go for the Altima -- plenty of space, lighter and more nimble than the Maxima, but with nearly the same power (if you opt for the V6).

ETA: I just did a side-by-side comparison of the 2012 Maxima and Altima. They're the same length with the same wheelbase; but despite the Maxima being 3 inches wider, the Altima has more interior room and weighs some 300 pounds less. Makes me wonder what the hell the Maxima is still around for.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:08 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,577,912 times
I have no idea, but in many cases, the (continued) existence of a certain car might just be intended to keep a potential buyer from buying a different make with (in this case) the price tag or in the same category/segment of a Maxima.

Since the Maxima isn't really the 'four-door sports sedan' that the ads claim it is as opposed to the terrific 1989 model, I'd go with the Altima, which is several grand cheaper and uses regular gas.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:43 PM

10,118 posts, read 10,007,109 times
I'd say the Altima coupe. Speaking as a proud owner of an Altima coupe, the car is Built solid, love the CVT,love the exhaust note (sounds like a low budget Ferrari) very quiet; surprising considering its sport tuned suspension. And the power.....it definitely moves. You'll feel the torque pulling well over 100mph....or so i heard. Be aware however, you'll do 80mph and not even notice it because the engine is very quiet unless provoked.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,191,695 times
I would choose Nissan or Toyota over Honda any day. Honda has the resale value advantage, but that's about it.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:37 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,715,464 times
I'd never buy a car with a CVT, boring and really costly if something goes wrong with it.

Personally I'd go a with a Toyota Camry with the 6 speed auto.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,617,743 times
Everyone is going to have a different opinion. It's going to come down to what you like. I just bought a Maxima SV w/sport & tech packages and a couple other things. I did not look at the Altima at all. Altima is just not my thing. I see a lot on the road though. The Accord and Camry are boring to me.

Just as an FYI, the price they knock off MSRP for the Maxima is very significant. I didn't haggle on the price because what they came back was well below any figures I could find online (invoice, truecar's price, etc)

The "bigger" interior of the Altima is an inch there, a half inch there, 1 cubic foot in trunk space. I don't feel in any way that the Maxima is small. It's nice to be able to have 2 people up front and both of us can use the center armrest!

The rear seat in the Maxima is a little different though. It's more like 2 bucket seats and a space in the middle for a child. We had to move my kid from the middle of the car to the rear passenger seat, because his BIG feet were hitting the air vents in the back of the Maxima. He's close to coming out of the booster seat though. However in my last car, we couldn't put his booster seat anywhere but the middle because of the headrests in the rear of the car. I do notice there is way more leg room in the rear that I was used to (had a Volvo S60).

Besides styling, hp, what you get for your money... one thing that really stands out for me personally about the Maxima is that I can SEE out! I felt like I couldn't see well in my Volvo. Yes, I was using my mirrors. Just terrible blind spots in that car. I don't have that issue in the Maxima.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:47 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,223,056 times
I will only add that the OP would be well served to consider the Ford Fusion. It's reliability over the last five years is better than the Camry, Accord, or Altima (according to CR). It is a fine car. The V6 is more enjoyable because of its power but the 4 cyl is as adequate as other 4 cylinder cars.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:49 AM

16,404 posts, read 30,341,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I need to seriously buy a car soon. I had my Accord for 13 years. I NEVER owned a Nissan.

I don't want to be a smart aleck BUT, are you happy with your Honda Accord?

Personally, if your car has been a great experience for the past 13 years, why change? I have seen so many people decide to try something else just to be very disappointed.

Now, of the car has been a PITA and been nothing but trouble, it is a good time to make a change.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:08 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,541,714 times
Default Maxima gas

Does the Maximas take "premium" gas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive