Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:55 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,999,804 times

Advertisements

" . . . Google’s lobbying for state laws to permit autonomous driving indicated that it hoped to introduce such vehicles soon — driverless delivery vans or taxis, as early as 2013 or 2014."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/24/technology/googles-autonomous-vehicles-draw-skepticism-at-legal-symposium.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha26

There are over a million injuries per year due to human error.

Driverless cars are now legal in Nevada.

I wonder how much of an increase there is in Google stock because of this announcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 08:25 AM

120 posts, read 672,585 times
who's at fault when your 'driverless' car crashes. I doubt this will become commonplace in my lifetime, people just love thier lawsuits too much here.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:30 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,445,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
who's at fault when your 'driverless' car crashes. I doubt this will become commonplace in my lifetime, people just love thier lawsuits too much here.
Google's had autonomous cars on the road for a few years in California. Most of the time they DO have a human driver in the car in case corrective action is needed, but they're only a failsafe at this point, they rarely ever have to intervene. You might not realize it, but the tech is already here, it's just being perfected now.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:32 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,849,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
" . . . Google’s lobbying for state laws to permit autonomous driving indicated that it hoped to introduce such vehicles soon — driverless delivery vans or taxis, as early as 2013 or 2014."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/24/technology/googles-autonomous-vehicles-draw-skepticism-at-legal-symposium.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha26

There are over a million injuries per year due to human error.

Driverless cars are now legal in Nevada.

I wonder how much of an increase there is in Google stock because of this announcement.
Talk about some red meat for lawyers when something goes wrong...as we know it will.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:48 AM

120 posts, read 672,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Google's had autonomous cars on the road for a few years in California. Most of the time they DO have a human driver in the car in case corrective action is needed, but they're only a failsafe at this point, they rarely ever have to intervene. You might not realize it, but the tech is already here, it's just being perfected now.
Perhaps you did not read my post. I'm not disputing the tech, I'm pointing out the liability for when things go wrong. You'd have to be nuts to sell a autonomous car in the USA.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:08 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,368,340 times

Total Recall Pivo Johnny Cab - YouTube
Hmm the of future of taking a taxi is going to be like Total Recall's Johnny cab...LOL

Last edited by GTOlover; 01-25-2012 at 12:17 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,350,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
Perhaps you did not read my post. I'm not disputing the tech, I'm pointing out the liability for when things go wrong. You'd have to be nuts to sell a autonomous car in the USA.
What's the difference in liability between a human-piloted vehicle being in an accident versus an autonomous vehicle being in an accident?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,217,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
This "tech" as you call it is still fantasy... just like flying cars.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,350,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Nope, we're a lot closer than you think. The necessary systems already exist and function separately on cars available to the consumer: cars that can adjust their speed according to the flow of traffic (fully adaptable cruise control); cars that can detect the lanes on the road; cars that can steer themselves (automated parallel parking; lane departure correction); cars with GPS. Now it's just a matter of integrating these systems together and you have a car where you punch an address into the GPS system and it drives you right there. The only real downfall to the system right now is controlled intersections. That would still need driver involvement; however the infrastructure could be updated to signal to autonomous cars when it is approaching a controlled intersection, what type of control is there, and when the autonomous car has the right-of-way and when it doesn't.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:38 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,445,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive