Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,216,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Seriously? Go to google.com and search
Seriously? Provide me a link. This is your claim. I know people at Google who claim it's fantasy. They have worked on automated vehicles. They have even demonstrated them in "races"... but they have not released them on city streets with no driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 05:26 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,385,175 times
hmm.. 3 pages and no one even thinks about how this will effect the economy. taxis, busses, etc, if they are replaced by robots (cars taht drive themselves) means taxi drivers will be out of work, times that with how many cities there are in america, and its not a good outcome.

one might say, oh this doesnt affect me, im not a taxi driver, but it makes it harder for your children in the future to find a job, if taxi drivers cant find work, they will look for another field.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,515,045 times
What we are about to have is cars (with drivers) that are controlled by the road. If you want to go onto I-95 you will be connected to a control mechanism that will operate your speed and spacing and when you reach your exit you will regain control. You will confirm your control of the car from time to time and before you exit. If there is an accident or congestion you will be declined entry or you will be exited. I predict 15 years.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:15 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,185,717 times
I don't see it happening in 15 years. maybe 40yrs if they started now.

The infrastructure will need to be up graded with sensors and so will all of the cars , trucks and motorcycles.
Then the cost & time of retrofitting all of the older cars. It will take around 20 to 40+ years for the vehicles to be in place.

Where is this money going to come from?
A fuel tax?

It may happen some day but that day is not coming that soon.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I don't see it happening in 15 years. maybe 40yrs if they started now.

The infrastructure will need to be up graded with sensors and so will all of the cars , trucks and motorcycles.
Then the cost & time of retrofitting all of the older cars. It will take around 20 to 40+ years for the vehicles to be in place.

Where is this money going to come from?
A fuel tax?

It may happen some day but that day is not coming that soon.

Electronics. Virtually no cost except running the electric power to the devices.

Money will be a tiny fraction of what stupid rail systems cost and the cancellation of these failed technology rail lines will free up the money for sensible technology.

Consumer pressure for faster and more powerful cars will be lessened by the fact that your vehicle can only go the 75mph that the road will allow anyway and smoother vehicle control, the elimination of stop and go driving, will also reduce the desire for high fuel consumption cars, at least by those who regularly use congested roadways.

And, after the quiet ride to work or school the little car will be waiting for errands and trip diversions to places no rail will ever go.

I would stop all rail construction right now and focus on a modern technology.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:22 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,185,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Electronics. Virtually no cost except running the electric power to the devices.

rail is moot.

No cost

cost of upgrading the infrastructure.
Where are the computers, satellites or servers going to be located to run the system (s) retrofitting all the cars with sensors and mecinery needed to control the car will cost plenty.
It will also drive up the price of a new car.

put down your copy of popular mechanics from the 60's.and look at the reality.
They said it was going to happen soon, now 45years later it's still not a reality.

It's decades off even if they started on the project yesterday

Old 01-26-2012, 08:33 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,444,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Seriously? Provide me a link. This is your claim. I know people at Google who claim it's fantasy. They have worked on automated vehicles. They have even demonstrated them in "races"... but they have not released them on city streets with no driver.
I did not say that they didn't have drivers, I said (you can scroll up and check) that they are NOT unattended, humans are in the car to provide corrective actions, mostly at intersections without stop lights.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:35 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,384,159 times
The car hits a puddle of water and hydroplanes, and in trying to keep the car on the road the computer over-corrects,

But that's just it - the computer is much less likely to overcorrect because it is doing only one thing - driving the car. It is taking in more pieces of information about road conditions, wheel speed and traction than any human ever could, and it is responding far more quickly than any human could. Most cars sold these days already have traction and stability control and ABS, which compensate for human errors. There are cars out there that prime brakes for rapid stopping when their sensors tell them that the driver is about to collide with something - the car is ready for it before the driver. (Look up Mercedes active braking system.)

Computers aren't drinking coffee or fiddling with the air controls. They aren't jabbering away on the phone or texting Brittany about what Jason said yesterday. They aren't putting on make up. They aren't thinking about being in Hawaii instead of in traffic. They aren't listening to talk radio and getting themselves worked up in a lather. They aren't taking risks in order to get to work a few seconds faster. They don't have egos to bruise. They are driving.

A computer could be programmed to notice a variation in another cars path that indicates hydroplaning and could immediately begin to prepare itself for it. If it senses that a wheel is spinning at a different rate than the others it could apply the brake on that particular wheel or all the others or any combination of wheels. (This is how stability control already works.) It could adjust the steering inputs incrementally to keep the vehicle stable. If there is a fishtail it could bring the car under control by applying brakes and steering input in a way that no human ever could. A human can't apply brakes on just one wheel, or 25% in one wheel and 80% on another. It's all or nothing for us.

When you slam on your ABS brakes, you are pretty much pressing a button that tells the computer "stop me as quickly and in as straight a line as possible." When you hit the gas in the snow, you are telling your computer "get me moving without skidding too much."

Automated highways will be the biggest safety improvement in transportation since the seatbelt and engineered crumple zones.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:36 AM

120 posts, read 672,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
hmm.. 3 pages and no one even thinks about how this will effect the economy. taxis, busses, etc, if they are replaced by robots (cars taht drive themselves) means taxi drivers will be out of work, times that with how many cities there are in america, and its not a good outcome.

one might say, oh this doesnt affect me, im not a taxi driver, but it makes it harder for your children in the future to find a job, if taxi drivers cant find work, they will look for another field.
No one is talking about it because its NOT going to happen.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
rail is moot.

No cost

cost of upgrading the infrastructure.
Where are the computers, satellites or servers going to be located to run the system (s) retrofitting all the cars with sensors and mecinery needed to control the car will cost plenty.
It will also drive up the price of a new car.

put down your copy of popular mechanics from the 60's.and look at the reality.
They said it was going to happen soon, now 45years later it's still not a reality.

It's decades off even if they started on the project yesterday
Its all about the costs. Distronic Cruise is going into many cars right now which is just a few sensors away from the on board costs. Even though its a $3000 option on a MB I have heard estimated of their cost at about $300. Less than a catalytic converter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive