Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:49 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,598 times

Advertisements

My new (USED) car, still under bumper to bumper warranty, is already showing problems!

ISSUE NUMBER ONE:

When I first start the car and drive and and start accelerating moving up in speed and the car moves from gear to gear I hear a "metal to metal sound" as my speed increases. It is an automatic transmission car and the metal to metal sound seems to occur right as the automatic transmission moves from one gear to the next.

I am not sure what is causing it, or if it is a transmission issue or not, or where the metal to metal sound is EXACTLY coming from. Just somewhere in or near the engine.

I brought to to the dealer where I bought it and two different mechanics who drove with me refused to admit that the sound exists. I and my friends could hear it clearly! UGGH!

ISSUE NUMBER TWO: The fan belt seems to squeak (chrip) during ideling. They suggested it needs a new belt but said the car's 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty will not pay for it. Nor will the 1000 mile warranty of the dealer for all used cars. (I have driven it about 130 miles since I bought it last week)

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 04:02 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
My new (USED) car, still under bumper to bumper warranty, is already showing problems!

ISSUE NUMBER ONE:

When I first start the car and drive and and start accelerating moving up in speed and the car moves from gear to gear I hear a "metal to metal sound" as my speed increases. It is an automatic transmission car and the metal to metal sound seems to occur right as the automatic transmission moves from one gear to the next.

I am not sure what is causing it, or if it is a transmission issue or not, or where the metal to metal sound is EXACTLY coming from. Just somewhere in or near the engine.

I brought to to the dealer where I bought it and two different mechanics who drove with me refused to admit that the sound exists. I and my friends could hear it clearly! UGGH!

ISSUE NUMBER TWO: The fan belt seems to squeak (chrip) during ideling. They suggested it needs a new belt but said the car's 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty will not pay for it. Nor will the 1000 mile warranty of the dealer for all used cars. (I have driven it about 130 miles since I bought it last week)

What do you think?
Belt is a wear and tear item, won't be under bumper to bumper, now if its a sqeuky pulley, maybe. Also not sure on the terms of you 1k mile warranty.

Metal on metal sounds wired, is it an exhaust rattle maybe?

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:56 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,598 times
The metal on mettle sounds comes from the engine. (not the exust)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Belt is a wear and tear item, won't be under bumper to bumper, now if its a sqeuky pulley, maybe. Also not sure on the terms of you 1k mile warranty.

Metal on metal sounds wired, is it an exhaust rattle maybe?

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:05 AM

106,610 posts, read 108,757,383 times
thats why personally i never would buy very late model cars used. frequenting many automotive forums you cant help but wonder where all these vehicles go that have intermittant or un-solvable problems that the origonal buyers just give up on and just trade the stupid vehicle in for a new one rather than deal with problems that are difficult to track down or cant seem to be solved.

im always afraid thats why the vehicle is there in the first place.. we like to think they were turned in by a bored driver,or repossed but i think more than likely many are on the market early on because of issues that just frustrated the previous owner.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:25 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,124 times
Quote:
The exhaust starts at the engine, After I did work on my car, I didn't get my Y-pipe lined up right, and left a rattle right at the rear of the engine. I loosened it and retightened it and it went away.

Hell could just be a heat shield over the exhaust manifold. Could be a pulley or bad accesory, could be an AC compressor. Could be massive engine failure.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:23 AM

886 posts, read 5,714,543 times
I think your ugo is just telling you its time to get a real car!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:46 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
The exhaust starts at the engine, After I did work on my car, I didn't get my Y-pipe lined up right, and left a rattle right at the rear of the engine. I loosened it and retightened it and it went away.

Hell could just be a heat shield over the exhaust manifold. Could be a pulley or bad accesory, could be an AC compressor. Could be massive engine failure.
I had exactly the problem that Mustang talks about here, which apparently is infamous on the model Corolla I had.

The heat shield over the exhaust manifold cracked at one of it's mounting points and started rattling, it was loud enough that I too thought it was something more severe at first.

The belt isn't something that's covered, as someone has mentioned, I don't know if something like it exist here, but if you don't want to change it (if it's not time for it etc, even new belts can make some noise), there's something called "belt spray" that you spray onto it to remove the sound.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:33 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,868,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
thats why personally i never would buy very late model cars used. frequenting many automotive forums you cant help but wonder where all these vehicles go that have intermittant or un-solvable problems that the origonal buyers just give up on and just trade the stupid vehicle in for a new one rather than deal with problems that are difficult to track down or cant seem to be solved.

There's no such thing.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM

13 posts, read 64,656 times
Default mystery engine noises

I can offer no help with the 'metal to metal' sitch but the belt noise is a can of corn. Dig around in the least used bathroom in your home and grab an old bar of soap, neither the color or smell are important and if its all 'dried out' so much the better. WARNING, parts of your body may detach if they come in contact with moving engine parts so this may be a chore you would want to turn over to one of your children, or maybe your gardener/drug dealer. With the engine at idle speed simply hold the soap bar against the MOVING belt. I'll let you guess which side of the belt. You want to carve a nice groove in the ol bar o soap which will deposit enough soap on the belt to eliminate the noise for a few thousand miles.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:25 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
There's no such thing.
Amen bro. Tried to rep you but gotta spread the love.

If the person working on the car really understands how it works, how it should work, and uses a good logical troubleshooting procedure, and works with proper craftsmanship, the car will get fixed and right.

A car is not alive, does not have the capability to hate you (or love you) and is not subject to demonic posession.

Craftsmanship, truly, is mastership. Damn shame it's in such short supply...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive