Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,748,451 times

Advertisements

What would cause brand new belts to squeal, a week later?

I had some belts replaced, my mechanic said they were needing replacement ( 10 year old belts ) and yes, trustworthy mechanic...

Some factors to consider:

The weather has dropped to 30 degrees and it's been raining, off and on for a few days.

The squealing started the first morning of rain.. two days ago. Then, this morning, very cold out and the belt squealed for 20-30 seconds. The rest of the day, nothing....no squealing and the car acts normal.

What is the likely cause for newly squealing belt?

My report says they replaced all drive belts.

Also, this noise is only when the car is in motion. It did not squeal in idle position.

I am going over there in the morning...

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:50 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Possible that the belts were not tightened enough. Make, model, and year of the car?

You are saying that the belts only squeal when you rev the engine, or only if the car is in motion? What if you rev the engine a bit with the car still?

Does turning the headlights on make any difference? (increasing electric load on the alternator, usually makes squealing worse)

Old 11-18-2011, 07:07 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,461 times
The belt is too loose.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
The belt is too loose.
this

Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 PM

886 posts, read 5,714,238 times
Depends on what style of belts you have?

Make Model and year should ALWAYS be included in your question. Otherwise its like Helen Keller trying to listen to the radio.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
Depends on what style of belts you have?

Make Model and year should ALWAYS be included in your question. Otherwise its like Helen Keller trying to listen to the radio.
Lol!

2001 Kia Rio.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:46 AM

886 posts, read 5,714,238 times
OK that has a serpentine belt with an auto tensioner. You have an extra load somewhere causing the belt to slip. It could be a bad battery causing the alternator to work harder or it could be a power steering pump going bad causing the same thing.

It could also be a worn bearing in one of the idler pulleys or the tensioner its self could be worn out.

Here are a few ways to check and eliminate a few of these things.

Next time you drive the car and it squeals make a note if you are driving straight or turning a corner. If its straight then we can pretty much rule out the power steering.

After that we will look at the alternator.
When you are driving and it starts to squeal turn off anything that uses electricity. i.e. heater blower rear defrost, headlights if its safe.
If the squealing stops then you need to get your charging system checked.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:47 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,854,050 times
If the car has a tensioner then that would be the problem. Generally it is a safe bet to change the tensioner along with the belt, if you keep driving like this, the new belt would be glazed pretty soon and then you need a new belt along with the tensioner. The key is to return to the shop that did the work soon enough, so that they own up and do the proper work. In this case expect to pay for the new part (tensioner) and partial credit on the labor fee since since you paid for the belt change once.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:15 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
Since you went over there today, this is probably of no help. Most likely they didn't clean the pulleys after removing the old belt. Any grease/oil that is left on them will cause the noise especially when it's high humidity outside.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:36 PM

Thanks

I took it over there today and they tightened the belts.

I asked if there were any other things wrong with the car, regarding the belt squealing and he said everything checked clear.

Time will tell...

And I did do a few things you guys suggested before taking the car over there....

I revved the engine in park and no squeal. Today, on start up and on the way over there, no squeal at all...but I took alot of your advice here and you guys confirmed that it was a loose belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive